Chapter 51

Jacob's P.O.V 

"Please come back, Ellie. I am not letting you go. You can not leave me. Please don't go," It's been 5 or so minutes since Ellie's heart stopped beating. Since her chest stops rising and falling. Since anyone has even moved. I'm afraid to move. I'm worried that if I let go all of this would become real. I know that she's gone but I can't accept that reality. I can't accept that I would have to go without her. I don't want to go on without her. I don't wanna live without her. I can't live without her. 

My forehead is still pressed onto hers. I'm still rocking her back and forth. I'm still holding her pale cold hands willing them to move so I know she's alive. But it didn't happen. She's not moving. 

Why is the moon goddess so cruel? Why do I have to lose another woman that I care about? Is this some sort of punishment? Have I done something wrong? 

She didn't deserve this. She just accepted her mate's rejection. She was about to start a new chapter in her life. One that involved us being together. I was going to ask her to be my mate. I wanted to be with her. Is this fate's way of telling us that we don't belong together? Or is this fate's way of saying I am destined to be alone until the day I die?

"Come on Ellie, you're a fighter. You fight through the toughest situations and you come out stronger every time. This is no different OK. You're a fighter," my voice cracked again. It's like the tears only come when I feel hopeless but when I dismiss the thought that she is actually gone and willed myself to think positive they're gone. It's like a cycle. 

"I wanna be with you. I never got the chance to tell you that. That you make me feel alive again. That you make me forget about the traumas of the past and think about the bright possibilities of the future...You are the reason why I get out of bed every morning. You are the reason why I get to breathe the same air as you do. You make me feel worthy. Worthy of this pack trust, my parent's love, and your time. I can't go on without you Ellie. I won't," I whispered to her but I knew the pack warriors heard me. They refused to break me away from her. They knew it will only end badly for them if they try to pull me away from Ellie. They didn't want what happened with Ashley to repeat itself. 

"So come back to me Ellie," I removed my forehead from hers and looked at her pale face. Immediately my mind went back to her last words.

"I love you"

I gasped before I started crying again as her last words to me finally hit, like a ton of bricks. I never told her I love her too. She died not knowing how I truly felt about her. "I'm sorry Ellie. I'm sorry," 

"Please open your eyes...or something just come back to me. There's still so much we haven't done yet. Please come back to me," I pulled her to me once again and hugged her tight. I cried my eyes out again on her chest. The tears kept flowing like a waterfall. I couldn't stop. I should be strong for the pack but I can't. I should be happy that we won the 2 battles in less than 24 hours but I can't. I'm not brave. I'm not a leader. 

I am nothing without her. 

I need her 

But then I stopped. Something was different. I didn't know what but I pulled away from her. Her eyes were still closed. Her skin was still pale but something was still off. Something about her. 

Could it be?

I narrowed my eyebrows in confusion. I didn't know what was happening. But out of curiosity, hesitantly I focused my hearing on her. It was hard because my emotions were all over the place but I tried my best to calm down and focus and the most unbelievable and amazing thing happened.