Chapter 47

Jacob's P.O.V

After we pulled away I led her to my room where we continued to hold each other for a little while longer on my couch. We didn't talk but the silence was not uncomfortable. Having her in my arms just feels so right and comforting. I feel the need to keep her close and safe. If I could hold her like this forever I would. Oh goddess I would. But fate had other plans. In less than 24 hours we will finally be ending this war between me and Kyle. After almost a year of being back home, he has continued to be a threat to my pack and it has to end. 

I looked down at the beauty in front of me who is playing with my fingers at the moment and smiled as a familiar thought that has plagued my mind once again. Once this battle is over, I'm gonna ask Ellie to be my chosen. My second chance mate. 

Mate... 

Just the thought of having her as mine forever already sent a shiver down my spine and butterflies in my stomach. I wanted to ask her weeks ago when we were to have a first date for the first time but life gets in the way and we had the coronation. But once this is over I am not wasting a second more. I'm going to ask her to be my mate. 

I never thought that I will find someone else. I thought Emily was it for me. After her death, I was prepared to live out the rest of my life without a mate. But maybe fate isn't so cruel after all. It brought me, Ellie. Who is a strong-minded, brave, and incredible woman who I see a future with her? A future that I have never wanted so badly. 

She is the complete opposite of Emily. She makes me feel like I can do anything and she's by my side the whole step of the way. I feel free of the past and free of feeling like I disappointed Emily somehow. She wasn't the one who was meant for me. Yes, I do miss her. I miss her incredibly but I need to let go of her and move on with the person I've come to care for deeply. 

As if on cue, she looked up to meet my eyes and smiled. Looking into her beautiful brown eyes I can honestly see the happiness in them. She's so much different from how she was when I first met her almost a year ago. She's more open, and more outgoing towards activities she use to enjoy doing, she's less angry with herself and more forgiving towards others. She even smiled more often and I hope that I was a huge part of that. 

I circled her cheeks with my thumb before I leaned in and touch my lips with hers. I don't know how to describe it. It's not the spark you feel when you kiss your mate and that's OK. The sparks may not be strong between us but it was enough for me. When she responded, I slide my hand on her cheeks to the back of her neck to pull her close. It didn't last long though as she slightly pulled away from me and rest her forehead on mine.

"Are you OK?" I asked her. 

She nods her head before getting off the couch and started walking around my room. I narrowed my eyebrows at her. Something was up with her. After spending so much time with her I've come to notice the little signs she gives when she's lying or hiding something from me. 

"What's going on?"

"I wanna get to know you better?" she stated to me and I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. 

"We don't know the outcome of tomorrow's battle," she says as she lowered her head and then realization struck me. 

"If anything happens, I don't wanna down without getting the chance to know you better," she added and I quickly got to my feet. 

"We're gonna be OK, Ellie," I took her hands after saying and she offered me a small smile in return. 

"Please," she says and it melted my heart hearing her say that. I couldn't say no. 

"OK. Well, what do you wanna know?" I asked her. She removed her hand from mine and continued walking around my room. 

"I don't know. Anything and everything. It's my first time in your room. I'm sure there are stories in here," she said before looking over at a photo frame of me and my family on my 8th birthday. She picked it up and gestured it to me. "8th birthday. My parents took me to our lake house on the other side of the pack. Haven't been there in a long while," I told her and she shook her head before putting it back. 

She took up another photo frame and showed it to me. "Me and Christian when we turned 16," I smiled at the memory. We got our first car at that age and decided to race. I crashed into a tree when some guy decided to run across the road naked. My mom was worried but my dad was pissed. He spent a lot of money on the car only for me to wreck it. I had to get a summer job to earn enough money to fix it. It was not fun but my monthly allowance was not gonna cover it and I wanted the car so I did it anyways. 

I didn't realize that I zoned out until I realized that Ellie wasn't standing in front of me anymore. Instead, she was standing in front of a picture frame by the nightstand of me and Emily. I walked up behind her to take a look at the photo in her hands. When I saw I was immediately attacked by the memory of it. In the photo, I stood behind Emily, with my hand wrapped around her waist while kissing her cheeks. The sun was hitting her face, giving her that golden glow. She smiled so brightly that day. She was happy. This was my first birthday with my mate. They threw a surprise birthday party for me by the lake. Everyone was there. 

"You look happy here," she commented while still holding the photo in her hands. "I was," I replied before taking the photo from her and placing it face down on the night table, and taking her hand in mine. "I am happy," she offered a small smile of comfort and leaned forward to press her forehead to mine. "You know, we never went on our first date," she whispered. 

"No, we have not. Something always comes up," 

"Why don't we go now?" she asked me. 

I sigh before looking out the window. "there will never be a perfect time for a perfect first date. So why wait? Especially since we don't know what's gonna happy tomorrow,"  she reasoned. 

"I know there is no such thing as the perfect time but what about the right time? It's almost dawn and I don't wanna rush through the remainder of the time we have before the biggest fight of our lives. I just wanna sit down, hold you," I took a step closer to her. "And savor every moment we have together," I added and kissed her forehead before hugging her. She relaxed into my arms after a while. I could feel how tense she was which made me confused. Ellie doesn't get tense before a battle. She's as calm as ever. Something's wrong. 

"Ellie, is everything OK?" I pulled away a bit to look into her eyes. She hesitated for a second before answering with a "of course," I didn't believe that but before I could address it she added, "We have a few hours until dawn. We should probably get some rest," she pulled me to the bed where we spent the rest of the time we have left holding each other. Ellie fell asleep an hour after but I couldn't bring myself to fall asleep with her. I wanted to know what she was hiding from me. Why did she think she had to? I want to wake her up and ask her but after taking one look at her I went against that decision. She always looked so peaceful when she was asleep. 

With that thought in mind, I brought her close to me and held her a little bit tighter. 

**********************************************************

Hey everyone! 

I know it's been a while since I last updated. Had to prepare for exams last week. This week is not a chill week either because I have more exams in the following month and I've been told they are a bit more challenging than the ones I took last week. 

Anyways, enough about me. I finally got the chance to write chapter 47! I know it's not the best but I'm trying to figure out what is the best way to end it but I'm sure I will think of something lol. 

So let me know what you guys think about this new update in the comment section and don't forget to vote. 

Have a wonderful night y'all!

XOXO

Izzy