Chapter 23

Ellie's P.O.V

The celebration that was held for the new pack leaders was a blast. Sure it was formal at first but in the end, they held a big party where everyone enjoyed themselves. They had games, drinks, food, music, everything. It was fun. It was passed midnight and the party is still as wild as it was when it started. I began to depart from the crowd and onto the edge of the forest. I found a clearing that would be perfect for what I planned to do if it works. 

I made my way to the center of the clearing and took a deep breath before kneeling. I closed my eyes and willed myself to transform into my wolf. I paid attention to my surroundings and focused on my senses. 

Give it time, I said to myself. The first time that I've ever shifted, it was a feeling. A feeling that tells me that I'm ready, that I'm gonna transform but now, there's none. I don't feel anything. 

"Hey," Jacob said as he came through the bushes behind me. "Is this a habit of yours now?" I asked as I stood up from my kneeling position to face him. He shrugs his shoulder in response. "I don't know, but I kind of like our little getaways. I find out something new about you all the time," he replied while a smirk on his handsome face but he suddenly became concerned. "So, did you try it?" he asked and I narrowed my eyebrows in confusion at him. "What are you talking about?" I asked him. 

"To me, you're getting more clearer to read than before and I can tell that you thought that when you become the new Enforcer for the pack, you might have a chance at transforming back into your wolf form. You thought that all your wolf needs are just an extra of boost power, to be well again," he said and I took a step back. Suddenly feeling like easily accessible and that feeling doesn't sit well with me. Jacob noticed this and quickly jumped to defend himself. "No that's not what I meant, what I meant was that since we are starting to become friends, I understand you more. I'm getting to know you better," he explained which made sense but I still feel uneasy about him being able to know how I think about certain things.

"Oh," I could say to him. "So did it work?" he asked again and I shook my head before answering. "No, it did not," I replied. "I'm sorry. I know how much you wanted that too," he said as he placed a hand on my shoulder as a sign of comfort. "Yeah well, I'll think of something," I said with what I hope was a warm smile to not let him worry but the frown that took place on his face told me that it didn't. 

"So, how does it feel to finally be Alpha of the Midnight Moon pack?" I exclaimed and he smiled a bit too which is good. Today is supposed to be a happy day after all. "It feels...powerful," he replied with the same smile on his face. "How does it feel to be Enforcer?" he asked back.

"Refreshing," I replied, my mood suddenly feel uplifting. "Let's go for a run," he suggested and started walking away into the clearing from me but I stay rooted in my spot. "Wait what?" I looked at him as if he was crazy and he turned around to face me. "Come on. Let's take our mind off...everything," he said and in a flash, he was right in front of me and I gasped as he held my hand. "Let's test these powers out," he started to pull me with him away from the clearing, deeper in the woods.  Then without warning, he took off into a sprint without me. "Woah," he screamed as he continued running. I laughed then followed afterward. 

As I started running I felt a rush of power that followed through my body like electricity. I began to catch up to Jacob or did he slow down to reach me? "What took you so long?" he asked in the mind link. "Traffic," I replied and he laughed. Together we ran through the woods, jumping over tree branches, and dodging anything that might be in our way. We've been running for quite some time now and Jacob tried to match my speed but I could tell he wanted to go faster.  "You can go, Jacob," I said in the mind link. "What do you mean?" He asked back in the min link.