Chapter 9

Ellie's P.O.V

Jacob and I are in the woods training. The same place. I was teaching him how to block an attack against him without being so open. He didn't need me to teach him this he said he remembered but I still did it to refresh his memory. I aim for his face with my right hand and he blocked it then on the left he block that too but he didn't see me when I kneel him in the stomach. He held his stomach in pain and I punched him in the face. He fell to the ground. I sigh because this was no fun like it was with Mike. I'm sorry to say.

I didn't expect it to be like how it is with Mike but not like this. He's not even focused. I crouch down to where he is. "What's on your mind?" I asked him when he relaxed a bit but he stayed planted on the ground. That was the third he fell on his to the ground. "What?" He asked back as if he didn't understand me. "You distracted. Something's distracting you, so what is it?" I asked him again. He sighs. "It's nothing," he whispered as he sat up with his knees pulled back onto his chest and his arms on them with his eyes cased down. "If it was nothing then you would have blocked my attacks. I know you've only been here for a couple of weeks but those were easy punches," I stated and he sighs again.

"Seriously, what are you so focused on?" I asked again as I sat beside him only in the opposite direction. His back faced a tree that was in front of me and my back facing the trees in front of him. Only thing is that was in the center of the clearing. I pulled my hair out of its ponytail. It's a habit of mine to do that. I never liked when my hair is up. "You'd probably laugh or something," he said and I pulled my knees up to my chest with my arms wrapped around it. "I won't," I told him and he sigh again before he looked up at me.

"I feel like...like I'm never gonna get this. That I'm not gonna be a good Alpha. I know I should've negative feelings about this but...every time that I look at any one of the warriors in this pack I think - no - I know that they're better than me and they will see that as a challenge for my position and I will lose. I know it...Why can't I do it? Why can't I be as great as you? I'm from an Alpha bloodline my sense is more heightened than any other werewolf...so Why is it so difficult for me? I never had this problem with fighting years ago I was a natural...but it seems like when Ashley died...A part of me died with her...And I lost my powers.

When I found out that you were the best warrior in the werewolf population I immediately wanted your help. The good thing was that you were a part of my pack. I thought that maybe you could help me...but you can't... you don't even know how. I know how you love a challenge when it comes to a fight. I do too. I saw that spark of happiness in your eyes when you were training with that Mike guy. Fast is your pace...your never slow down and I...I was jealous because I had this crazy thought in my head saying that I would be the one to do that," he said to me as I listened to him. He didn't look me in the eye when he was telling me this. Almost as if he was embarrassed. 

"Maybe I'm not cut out to be an Alpha after all. It was a stupid idea to come back here anyways. I should've stayed away," he said and he looked up at me before staring ahead. I turned around to sit beside him looking at what he was looking at. There's not much to look at though. It was miles and miles of endless trees around us. I looked back at him and hesitantly placed my right hand on his left arm. I felt him turn his head and met my eyes. The ocean blue held so much sadness yet was covered by a mask of happiness. He smiled at people and tell them that he was ok just to assure them not to worry about him but on the inside he was alone. I know that look. It's the same look that I fooled people with all the time for the past three years. The look of emptiness.

"You, Jacob Samuels, are going to be a very good Alpha just like your father and you will lead this pack to victory. You just lost your way a little, that's all. It happens to everyone," I wrap my arm around his to grab his hand and intertwine our fingers together. Don't ask why I'm doing this because I have no idea I'm just doing what my mind is telling me to do. I guess I was trying to be sympathetic. I looked at our intertwined fingers as I continued. "You just gotta have faith and I can help you, Jacob, more than you know," I said to him but whispered the last part so he wouldn't hear me but I think he did. Before I knew it, I was playing with his fingers. I didn't know that I was doing that and what surprised me, even more, was that he didn't seem to mind. He didn't pull away or tell me to let go.