Chapter 42

Ellie's P.O.V

After an hour of driving in the endless stream of trees, we finally came upon my mate's pack. Black Sparrow. Black Sparrow pack has a reputation that they take great pride in. They are not only known for being the 3rd largest and strongest pack in all of North America but also the most brutal. Every male from the age of 15 in this pack is a fighter. They were all trained to handle themselves in a battle for emergencies. Females aren't allowed to partake in going to battle. Females weren't allowed to do any sort of fighting whatsoever. They are to be the caregivers of the pack. The last time I was here, the pack members weren't so welcoming to me. Even the females. I always believed that they didn't like me because I wasn't one of them. I didn't fight like them. I didn't have the same form of lifestyle as them. I defied my mate more times than I can count and that made them view me as unworthy. 

Focusing my attention back outside I realized that we were approaching the metal gates to enter the pack. The car stopped and the guards spoke to the driver before opening the gates to let us in. Familiarity stuck with me like lightning as we came upon the small village south of the pack house. The small vendor stalls were on both sides of the road and a large building behind them which was the marketplace. Lucas called this the lower division. People who choose to leave the pack house and make a living for themselves based on their education level. 

They made a fair amount of money to provide for themselves but they had to work harder than an average wolf to get their share. I always thought it was unfair and whenever I would speak up about Lucas never failed to remind me that this was not my pack and I can't tell him how to run. I remember how badly I wanted to yell at him that this is my pack. That I was his mate therefore I was its Luna. But I didn't. Now I can't stop thinking about that 'what if question. What if I had pushed some more, would they have a better advantage to help them start better in providing for themselves?

I turned away from the window once we exited the village and was surrounded by trees once again. One of the warriors that Jacob had to assist me, saw my sudden action and got worried. "Are you OK Enforcer Ellie," he asked me. I believe his name was Brandon. He was one of Uncle Ted's students. "I'm fine, thank you, Brandon," he nod his head and I looked back out the window just in time to see the pack house come into view. It is still as beautiful as I remembered it was. A soft cream color painted the exterior of the house, shiny washed windows, an evenly cut lawn, and a beautifully paved driveway. 

Approaching the entrance of the driveway, I saw the Beta of the pack and a few warriors waiting for my arrival. Much to my disappointment, Lucas was nowhere to be found. The mate bond may not be as strong as it use to be but even through the rejection, we can always sense each other, no matter where we are. The car came to a halt and I was about to open the door and get out but another warrior interrupted me. I turn to look at him and then I saw that they all had serious expressions on their faces and I immediately knew what was going on. 

"You don't need to protect me,"  I said in our mind link just so the others outside won't hear us. "They hurt you once. We're not gonna let that happen again,"  Brandon replied. "Please Enforcer Ellie," another added. The look on all of their faces told me that they won't take no for an answer. I sigh and shook my head, letting them know that it was fine. 

Once we stepped out of the car, two of the warriors stood in front of me and the other two behind me. I wasn't used to this kind of protection but I wasn't gonna show that I was uncomfortable in front of Beta Jordan. Beta Jordan is the only person in this pack that made an effort to be nice to me. He would always keep me company and try to cheer me up when Lucas upsets me. He was also Lucas' best friend which was no surprise to me because Alpha and Beta grew close together.