Chapter 13 ~ Darcy

Chapter 13 ~ Darcy

“Carter, I need you! Stop playing with my books, they are not toys,” I tell my best friend, and he looks at me with a huge smile across his lips. Before I can add something else, he jump to my bed and make himself comfortable. We really are like siblings. “I don’t know what to wear!” I cried out and he laughs shamelessly, at me.

Yes, like he is my older brother.

I have a date with Liam in exactly three hours. A date. Only the two of us. I’m shaking. Someone help me!

Since going to the zoo we’ve talked and tried to find a good place to go where we won’t have any problems with the media and stuff. I don’t want anyone to think we are officially dating due to this when we may never repeat this again. I don’t want to cause him any problems. Therefore, we decided on a picnic-kind-of-thing in the countryside –he will drive– away from all the paparazzi haunting for a new story to sell.

I still can’t believe I’m going out with Liam Payne, one of the members of the biggest boy bands ever. That would never be normal, in any circumstance. I still don’t understand what he sees in me, I’m plain and boring, yet he still asked me out. Should I care about his mental health? Maybe I should care about mine, I’m going insane.

“Don’t worry, it’s just an outfit,” my best friend replies and I roll my eyes, sighing helplessly.

“Really, I need a girl friend. You’re useless, Carter,” I state, walking over to my wardrobe again, killing my brains cells to know what I can wear. It’s not exactly cold, but it’s not warm either. Damn you, autumn!

“Oi! I can be your girl friend!” He protests in a high voice. A terrible girl’s impression, if you ask me. “I just need a wig and we can sort this out! Where are the wigs? I want to be blond… Darcy, why don’t you have any wigs? I can’t work like this! I quit,” he dramatises, still in that high pitch and I start laughing out loud.

“Are you sure you’re not gay?” I ask him just to mess with him. He looks at me offended.

“How dare you question my manliness?!”

“I’m questioning your humanity, to be honest,” I retort and he gasps, even more falsely offended.

He makes a very gay-like wave to dismiss me and I laugh even harder at his antics. No, Carter is not gay, not at all, but he likes to mess around when he’s with me, just to make me laugh. “Okay, but seriously this time. I don’t think you should overthink this. He likes you already for who you are. An outfit won’t change that,” he states practically, but he doesn’t understand.

An outfit can change an impression. It means how I’m presenting myself. This time is different, I don’t want to be only plain, boring, old-sister Darcy. I want him to see I can be more than that, even if it’s just for one time.

“I wanna look nice,” I confess feeling my cheeks burning.

“Aw, sweet Darcy is embarrassed!” He teases me and I feel my cheeks burning even brighter. “We can go stalker-mode if you want and look for pictures of his previous girlfriends to know what he likes in  them, you know,” he offers and I sit on the floor, my legs crossed while I ruffle my hands on my hair.

“I don’t want to do that. I don’t want to know what kind of girls he has dated. What if his last girlfriend is stunning? Or she has this amazing life? Maybe an actress, I don’t know. I don’t want to feel more insignificant after seeing her. Ignorance is bliss, right? When it comes to this, I’d rather not know,” I explain and he nods, his smile is approving.