Chapter 32 ~ Liam

Chapter 32 ~ Liam

“C’mon, Brit, go for it!” I try for the fifth time that night. It’s hopeless, Brit refuses to move, she’s way too comfortable on the sofa next to Andy who doesn’t stop laughing at my attempts to make her do some exercise.

When I can’t take Brit for a run, Darcy helps me, but today she had a lot of things to do as her mum is coming back, reason for which she is extremely happy, which makes me happy as well. It’s like a domino’s effect. Anyways, the thing is that Brit hasn’t gone out today and she needs to do some exercise, but if Andy is petting her, she’s not moving. I know her too well already.

“You’re not helping, mate,” I tell one of my best friends and he keeps laughing as he rubs Brit behind the ears.

“I’m not trying to help,” he mocks me and I give up, sitting on the floor. “Plus, she’s fine here. If one day she doesn’t do some exercise it won’t be the end.”

I sigh. He’s right, I just wanted to play with her a bit too. I’ve been out the whole day, just got home a few minutes ago with Andy that was whining because I’m too busy now and we never hang out. He reproaches me that if I have a wee free time, I spend that with Darcy and that I’ve forgotten about my other mates.

He’s just a drama queen.

“Yeah, you’re right. Still, you’re a dick for sabotaging my attempts to make her move.” He only laughs. “What do you wanna do?”

“There’s a party this weekend. You should totally come, considering as you missed the Halloween party,” he states offhandedly and I roll my eyes.

“Well, I wasn’t exactly up for a party on Halloween, you know, being in the hospital and everything,” I snap and he chuckles. “Anyways, I think it would be nice. I haven’t gone out in a long time.”

“Yeah! And you’re doing great so this would be an excellent reward. And you can even take Darcy with you!” He adds and I raise my eyebrows, even more interested now. I know that if Darcy is with me in the party, I won’t feel bad for everyone drinking like there’s no tomorrow. With my body still adjusting to the medication and the new diet, I have to be considerate to my liver.

“Great. I’ll ask her tomo–” I’m cut off when the bells rings. I frown as I’m not expecting company this late. It’s raining cats and dogs outside and I don’t think the lads are there. God knows how much they hate getting wet in the rain.

I jump to my feet as Brit stirs next to Liam when, raising her nose and sniffing. I wonder if she recognises who’s at the door. Ignoring that, I walk over to the door to see who’s actually there and I can’t hide my surprise when I see Darcy in front of me, soaking wet and with red eyes, breathing heavily as if she just ran here, but she couldn’t. Her home is far away from mine.

“Darcy!” I call out taking her hand to drag her inside. She’s dead cold and she’s shaking, her eyes lost in the nothingness. I shake her a bit as I close the door. “What happened, babe? You okay?” I inquire but she still hasn’t reacted. “Darcy!” I shout her name and only then she blinks up at me, finally taking notice of where she is.

“Liam?”

“Darcy?” Andy asks in the same moment that my girlfriend says my name. “What’s happening?” He asks and I hear Brit running towards where I’m standing with Darcy, still taking her by the shoulders. My dog whines and that makes Darcy fully come back from the trance she was lost in.

“I– I didn’t– I– I didn’t know where to go. I–” She mumbles, confusing me.

“Uh… I think I better leave. I think you have some things to talk about. See you soon, mate. Bye, Darcy,” Andy says walking past us, and soon Darcy and I are along with the only company of Brit at our feet.