Chapter 6 ~ Liam

Chapter 6 ~ Liam 

I look at her, but she avoids my glance and I know she does so on purpose. She’s using Niall as an excuse to stay away from me, and there’s a part of me that gets annoyed by her reaction, but there’s another part of me that smiles happily. She’s not indifferent, but for some reason, she’s pushing me away and I want to know why.

I’m surprised by how empathic and observant she is. She saw through me so easily when normally people fail at seeing how things affect me, because I can smile and I’m happy with the things I do. I’m very grateful for this amazing opportunity I’m living, but the sacrifices I have to make to keep this life are too high. Sometimes they overwhelm me with sadness and emptiness. But I smile anyways, and people think I’m the nicest and happiest guy around because I’m living the dream. But Darcy saw it immediately; the day we met she saw the weight on my shoulders and how tired I was. Among so many fans that day, only she noticed it.

She’s not any fan, she’s not the biggest fan, but she’s a special one.

I smile as I see her helping Niall to gather all the food he’s going to eat without sharing a bit. The boy is taking all my food and leaving me with nothing to eat later. After this I’ll have to go to the grocery shop.

Every time she smiles, it seems so honest and kind, like she would never harm anyone. I can see she’s a mature girl, but at the same time I see so much innocence in her eyes and I wonder how her life has been. Her relationship with Lizzie is incredible and I bet any mother would love to have two siblings that close. Seeing the way Darcy looks at Lizzie makes me want to call my sisters to tell them I’m sorry for being away for so long. When Darcy looks at her little sister it seems like that is her whole world, but is there something else for her?

I realise I want to know so much about her, there are so many questions I have to ask. She not only mesmerises me, but she intrigues me so much.

“You ready?” Niall asks me, and just then Darcy looks at me with a little smile and I realise I’ve forgotten to prepare the tea. I feel my cheeks burning immediately.

“No. Sorry, I got distracted,” I say, and Niall gives me a cocky smile, but Darcy looks away. I wonder if she knows I got distracted because of her, because I can’t stop asking questions in my head about her. With how perceptive she is, I think she does know, but then I know she’s quite innocent and therefore, she can be very naïve.

“I’ll go ahead with this, Darcy can help you, can’t you?” Niall asks her as he takes all the things they’ve gathered so far in his arms.

“Oh, sure. No problem,” she says, but her voice doesn’t sound so secure and I bet she’s nervous. Again, that part of me rejoices with the knowledge she’s not indifferent, that my presence affects her somehow.

Niall nods and walks away, in the last minute he turns around and winks at me before Darcy can see it, and then he resumes his way and leaves us alone in the kitchen again. I smile because I can’t help it and I’m about to say something but she beats me.

“Where’re the mugs? Or would you rather teacups?” She asks, grabbing her hands at her back and my smile grows wider as I find that posture so cute.

“Mugs will be fine, and they’re in that cupboard behind you,” I reply and she nods swinging around to look for the mugs while I go for the tea so I can prepare it.

Soon she’s next to me with several mugs and we work together to pour the tea into them. Whilst we are on that, I decide it’s a good moment to ask her some harmless questions.