Chapter 25 ~ Darcy

Chapter 25 ~ Darcy 

“Thank you so much, Carter. I swear, one day you’ll became a saint,” I state hugging my best friend for what it seems the tenth time that day already.

“Don’t worry. That’s what friends are for. Now go and help your boyfriend, I’ll take care of everything here,” he replies and cue to his words, Lizzie appears running down the stairs with Brit following her closely behind. She stops next to Carter and takes his hand, probably ready to take him upstairs to start playing games.

“By the way, blond really suits you,” I compliment and he flips his blond wig with elegance.

“I know, I was born to be blond. I’ll be the next Hannah Montana,” Carter teases, making Lizzie giggle next to him. She’s wearing a purple wig and Brit has some purple ribbons in her ears. I see she’s been making all the arrangements for this game.

“And who are you today, Lizzie?” I ask my little sister, kneeling to be at her same height.

“I’m Perrie! When she had purple hair,” she explains and it’s my turn to giggle. Since Lizzie met Perrie, she’d become more of a Mixer than a Directioner. “Today they let Liam go, don’t they?” She asks me, this time her eyes show concern and I smile at how much my sister cares about Liam, too.

It’s been a week since Liam fainted after the gig and got hospitalised. As the doctor had said, Liam’s kidney had stopped working, the same that miraculously had come back, now was gone again leaving Liam with only one functional organ. He still can go without dialysis, but he has to help his body and not give it more work to do. He can have a pretty normal life, he just has to be more careful with what he eats and stuff.

I know he feels really guilty for not taking care of himself before, for getting to this point and I’m sure he learnt his lesson, that’s why I’ve tried to give him all my support in this, reminding him all the time that it’s not the end, that there’s a lot to do. I’ll help him to go back to his routine from before, taking care of him, taking his pills until that becomes natural for him. I won’t leave him alone.

Mrs Payne, or Karen as she has asked me to call her, made me promise that I would take care of him. After all, Liam is only a young boy, someone who wants to live like his best mates. She says he will listen to me and she trusts me to keep him on the right path when it comes to his health.

“Yes, sweetie. Today Liam can leave the hospital. Now he will be in his place and you can go and visit him there,” I tell her and she smiles brightly.

Lizzie really hates hospitals but she loves Liam and for him, she forgot about her dislike for that place and went to see him several times. Carter has helped me out this week, taking care of her when I can’t because I’m with Liam, he even has gone to visit my boyfriend to the hospital with Lizzie. Now that Liam is leaving that place, I’m sure Lizzie will be there every chance she can get.

“Yay! Brit has missed him so much, I bet she will be happy to see him again,” my little sister says patting Brit’s head with her free hand.

Brit has been a good girl. She plays and is with Lizzie all the time, but I’ve seen the dog sad, almost depressed, looking at the window and door and I guess she does miss Liam and expects him to come through that door any minute. I’ve wondered all this time if the reason why Brit was acting so weird before is because she could sense something was wrong with Liam.

“I’ll call you when we’re back at Liam’s so Carter can take you and Brit there.” Lizzie nods obediently and I kiss her cheek before rising to my feet and smiling at Carter one more time for helping me here.