Chapter 41 ~ Darcy

Chapter 41 ~ Darcy

“Are you sure you’ll be fine?” Mum asks for what it seems the millionth time. I sigh deeply and with a smile, I close the distance between us and I hug her.

“Yes, Mum. Don’t worry, everything will be fine. Carter will be waiting for me and he’ll help me with everything in London. I’ll see you soon. Take care of Lizzie and I’ll call you as soon as I get there,” I promise looking her in the eyes once I break the embrace.

Her eyes are teary and I know she is fighting hard not to cry. Lizzie, on the other hand, is made a mess. Her nose is so red and her cheeks are wet, she hasn’t stopped crying since we woke up this morning. I must admit, seeing her like this hurts like I’ve never thought it would hurt, it makes me want to forget about everything and stay just to hug her until she is happy again, but I know that if I stay, she won’t be happy either.

Saying goodbye is always hard, whether is for a couple of days or for a couple of years. Seeing the people you love leaving your side always hurt and leaving people behind hurts the same way. But Lizzie has Mum this time, they are happy and they will be fine. Lizzie will have a mother this time, a real one and things will be better for her.

I know they will be fine and it’s my turn to fly this time, and I can’t carry them with me. I have wings and I better use them. It’s time for me to jump.

It was hard to take this decision but I realised of something very important and I did listen to Liam. I’m not doing this for him or for my family, I’m doing this because this is what I want, what I need. Plus, no matter what choice I make, I’ll never lose my family. I’ll never lose Lizzie because blood runs thicker than water and no matter what happens in the future, she will always be my little sister.

But she does need to grow and so do I. I can’t be always Lizzie’s big sister, her substitute mother. I need to be myself, I need to be Darcy Williams, I need to find my own path and I can’t expect that it will be next to Lizzie’s. Wherever this takes me, it’s going to me my path and it will be fine.

I look at my mother’s right and I see the only friend I made in my time here in Chile. She also looks about to cry but she is smiling and I know she is proud of me, proud of the decision I’ve made and what I’m about to start in my life. I step closer and I hug her very tightly and she replies with the same strengths.

“Promise me you won’t forget about me, okay?” Maje asks and I nod fervently. “I’m really going to miss you, Darcy.”

“And I’ll miss you. You have to visit me,” I tell her and she giggles.

“You don’t have to ask twice for that. I’ll see you soon. Have a safe flight and send my love to the lads.”

“Will do,” I answer with a smile of my own as I step back, looking into her eyes, believing we will see each other again.

Then I have to say goodbye to my little sister and she knows this because she releases Mum’s hand and runs towards me, throwing herself to my arms, crying again. I hug her tightly, burying my face in her curls, keeping her close. “Promise me you’re going to be happy. The happiest!” She asks and I chuckle lightly.

“I’ll be the happiest person on the planet!” I swear with a deep breath. “And when I come to visit you, you’ll see how much I’m working on achieving my dreams. You’ll be proud of your big sister!”

“I’m always proud of you,” Lizzie replies and I feel my heart tightening at her words. “You’re the best big sister ever. I love you, Darcy.”

“And I love you, Lizzie. I’ll see you soon. Promise you’ll be a good girl and you won’t get in trouble.”

“I promise!” She sings more cheerfully this time. “Have a safe flight and I’ll see you soon,” she adds smiling tenderly and then she kisses my cheek. “I’ll be waiting for you here.”