Chapter 21 ~ Darcy

Chapter 21 ~ Darcy

I don’t know what’s happening, one moment Liam is on stage, making thousands of girls happy and the next he’s stumbling as he is making his way towards me, barely staying on his feet. I don’t know what’s wrong with him but he’s so pale and his eyes are bloodshot and I’m so scared. I think my heart stopped beating the moment he closed his eyes and seemed to faint and when he actually fainted, the whole world stopped and panic ran in my veins.

“Liam!” I scream but there’s no answer, he’s passed out in Niall and Louis’ arms.

Everyone is scared, no one knows what’s happening to him and my eyes burn with all the tears I’m about to shed. Fear paralyses me, yet my whole body is trembling and I can’t take my eyes off of Liam’s body, his head hanging.

“Hurry up! We need to take him to the hospital!” That is Paul that comes running and takes Liam in his arms, rushing through the door.

Finally I can move and run behind him, tears are already falling down my cheeks and my heart now beats uncontrollably in my chest, hurting me with every beat.

Everything seems to be frozen yet it goes so fast I can’t make up anything. I don’t really know what’s happening, I only know that we’re driving at the speed limit, Liam and I are in one row of seats, his head on my lap and he looks like he’s sleeping but I can’t relax, I’m still shaking and I touch his face, asking him to wake up. Begging.

“Please, babe, open your eyes,” I plead with my voice shaking. “Open them and look at me, tell me you’re okay.” I cry, sobs escaping from my lips and I feel a hand on my shoulder, squeezing gently. I look back and it’s Zayn, his expression showing as much concern as possible.

“He’ll be fine. He’s a strong lad,” Zayn reminds me but even though I nod, my heart doesn’t stop beating painfully in my ribcage.

Not soon enough we get to the hospital and I want to go with Liam but a nurse stops me no matter how much I cry and beg her to let me go with him, I’m forced to stay behind with everyone else, waiting for some news about Liam’s state and whatever happened. I can’t sit, I walk from one side to the other, biting my nails desperately I don’t play much attention to the people with me in the waiting room, all the worried expressions. All the lads are here, Paul and Lou are with us as well, hoping for good news.

I can’t calm down, I’m more scared than when Lizzie was with a horrendous stomachache and for a moment I thought she had appendicitis. Luckily, she was okay, nothing worse than the consequences of eating too many cookies. I hope Liam is okay, that’s it’s nothing serious and he’ll be fine, but I can’t vanish the bad feeling from my guts.

It seems like an eternity has passed when the doctor is back and I run towards him. “How’s Liam?” I ask immediately.

“Are you some relative of Mr Payne?” He asks me and I shake my head.

“I’m his girlfriend. His family isn’t here,” I reply and before I can add something, the lads are next to me.

“His mum is coming, she’ll be here in the morning,” Harry adds and I look at him for a few seconds. I didn’t even think of calling his mum.

“I shouldn’t tell you all this, but considering no relatives are present, I’ll have to.” I just want to scream at him to stop with all the bureaucracy and tell us what’s wrong once and for all. “So far we can only tell Mr Payne came here with a case of anaemia due to a kidney failure. We are going to run more tests to know when this started to happen because his haematocrit is quite low already for a man his age.”