Chapter 34 ~ Liam

Chapter 34 ~ Liam

“She is leaving?!” Harry exclaims louder than any other sound in the dressing room.

Lou smacks him on the nape and he complains, but his eyes are still on me, demanding for an answer though I don’t feel like saying anything else. I barely told them about Darcy’s mum’s new job and how that means her and Lizzie are leaving to Chile. I know this is for the best, that Darcy is leaving with her family is the right thing to do, but still… it hurts. I know we’re going to make it work, I’ve convinced myself and I trust in what we have. I know she loves me, too, and I feel that’s all what we need, but still.

What if she meets someone there? Someone who can be with her all the time?

What if she can’t come back to visit ever again?

What if we can’t book more then one gig in Chile and that’s all what I’ll get of her each year? How can we manage a relationship if we can only see each other once a year? It scares the hell out of me that distance may be more than what we can manage.

But it’s her family, she belong with them. I will never be more important than Lizzie for her. No one will ever be and I know there is this selfish part of me that wishes I could be more important for Darcy than Lizzie, but if I want to deserve my girlfriend, I can’t be this selfish.

God, why is Chile so far away? Why couldn’t be, I don’t know, America? We go there all the time, but Chile? Only if we have a world tour. Since we started the band, we’ve been only once there and it’s not even sure we will go back.

“Yes. After New Year’s,” I answer with a deep sigh not bothering with raising my head to meet his eyes. Jen, our other make-up artist, is working on my hair and make-up for this photoshoot, and I don’t want to end up with a brush in my eye.

“But–– But… What about you?” Harry asks and I close my eyelids tightly, chanting in my mind ‘we’re gonna be fine, we’re gonna be fine.’

“We’re gonna try this all long-distance relationship.” I don’t sound excited about it, it’s like I’m not even trying to hide my feelings about this.

“And you think that will work? Where is she living?” Niall asks and he doesn’t mean any harm with his words, but still, I feel like he is slapping me.

“I hope it will work, Niall. And she is leaving to Chile, in South America.” So, so, so far away. I’m not even good with Spanish! I can’t go around saying una sacapuntas all the time.

“I’m sorry, mate,” Zayn tells me and I look at him this time, seeing the pity and empathy in his eyes.

“Yeah, I’m sorry too,” I mumbled looking down again.

“I won’t see Lizzie again!” Harry cries out, surprising us all.

For a second I look at him surprised but then a humourlessly chuckle escapes my lips. Sometimes I forget how emotionally attached he is to the little girl. I’m sure Brit will also miss Lizzie and Darcy terribly and I’m afraid she’ll fall in depression. Paul told me once that Labradors were too sensitive and they could fall in depression. He saw it happen.

“You won’t,” I confirm and he really looks devastated. “I’m sorry.”

“We better do a whole tour in that country!” He states making Niall laugh. He is the only one; I can only smile. “I’m not joking.”

“Sure, Hazza,” I tell him though I’d love we could actually do that. Any excuse just to see her more after she is gone. I’d do anything just to see her.