Chapter 3: Help Me! (Shannons PoV)

I slowly opened the door, which was a bit strange to me, because I knew that I wanted to do this in a hurry. If I was going to be real with myself, it was a lot smarter to be doing things the way that I was right now. I had to do this slow, I did not want the dead to hear.
The dead could smell as well, they were not the best with their eyes, as I knew that for a fact. All of the people that went out of the walls, they had told me all of what I needed to know. If they were in big groups, like they were right now, than it would be a lot harder for them to smell anything as well.
There was so much blood of the living all over the place, I doubt that they would be able to smell me. I would mask in with the rest of the living that had been torn apart in the place. I closed my eyes, as it made me a bit sick to think if it that way.
It also made me sick to know that it was my own fault as well. I then shook my head, as I opened my eyes, realizing that I had the door cracked open a bit. I moved it just a slight bit more, not enough for the dead to get through and get into the place, but more just enough room to be able to poke my head out, and see the surroundings that were in front of me.
I then poked my head out, all at the same time, as I did not spot any of the dead nearby me luckily. I sighed just a bit to myself, and then I slowly began to take the rest of my body out of the door with me. It was safe, and I was lucky for it as well.
I then heard a groan, as I turned my head over to where I could hear the dead groaning at me. I moved back, as I was quite a bit scared, and afraid that it might attack me. I then looked over to where I had heard the dead groaning at me from, as I saw that its legs had been torn apart and it was just stretching its arms up towards me.
It made me feel a bit sick as well, as it felt like I might very well through up all over the place, seeing the dead the way that it was, and knowing that it had once been a human as well. I looked at tbe tattered up pieces of flesh that was on its legs.
It could not get over to me luckily, as I noticed that it could only reach its hands up at me, in the hopes that it might be able to somehow catch me, and pull me in towards it. I shook my head, as I knew that it was stuck, and it could not get me.
I then looked around, thinking that one of the other dead that were all over the streets might have heard that dead groaning, and might be running over to me right as we speak. I did not see any of the dead however, and I felt a bit dumb that I had thought that it might have possibly been the case.
I knew that the dead were attracted by sound, but that was not loud enough, and most of the time, they would not be attracted to their own sound, nor the sound that one of the dead might be making. I knew that the dead could not talk to each other.
It seemed like they head no brains, but at the same time, it was a bit strange to me, to know that you could only take them out by the brain, no matter how many shots you landed on its body, it would never be taken down, unless you did damage to the brain.
I wanted to do research on it, and see what it was, that could possibly make it to where it was the way that it was, but at the same time, I was no scientist, and I did not want to get anywhere near one of those things, if it were alive, even if it could not hurt me.
It would have to be the way that it was, for the rest of mankind, I could not do any research on it, if I had no idea what it was that I was even doing in the first place. I shook my head at the same time as well, as I turned that same head over to where the backup power generator was in front of me.
What I saw in front of me instead, was the dead, it seemed like there were hundreds of them as well, as they seemed to go on forever. I began to freak out at the same time as well, as I wondered how I had not heard, or even seen them coming.
I then spun around, as I did my best to find some way out of this. I went over to the door that was behind me, as I tried to get back into the house, that way I would be protected. As I spun around, I then saw that the dead were all behind me there as well.
How had they gotten there? How was any of this possible? I began to freak out, as I was not sure what to do. I was having a panic attack, as I saw the dead all begin to swarm around me, all at the same time. I lifted my hands up into the air, as I knew that it was all over, even if I were to grab my gun, and try to shoot a few, it would not help me all that much anyways.
The dead then stopped right in front of me to my surprise, as I was a bit confused as to what it was, that was going on all around me. I waited for them to tear me apart, but they did not seem like they wanted to do this right now, as instead, they just stared at me for some odd reason.
I sat there for a few moments, as I slowly began to lower my arms, and my hands down below me. I was so confused, as I had no clue as to what it was that was going on right now. I stared back at them for a few moments, as it seemed as though we were looking at each other, right into each others eyes.
I was not sure what to do, if I should freak out, or do something to try and get out of this. I just stood there, as I waited for it to happen, but still, that were not the case. Suddenly, as if I was going crazy, which I might very well be doing, I heard one of the dead then seem to speak up to me, from behind me.
I spun around, as I heard it speaking, in a bit of a strange voice, which was not human at all, but it was a voice that I did notice as to one that I did remember. I looked at the dead, as I then realized who it was that I was looking at right now.
"Shannon! This was you! You killed all of us! You traitor!" The woman said to me. I looked at her for a few moments, as I was not sure what to do. I knew the women to be the mother of the poor kid Phillip, who was probably dead, just like his mother was.
I stared at her for a few moments, as I lowered my head to the ground at the same time. She was right, I had done that, it was all my fault that they were all dead now. At the same time though, I realized that this did not make sense, and something was not adding up.
I could have sworn that I had finished her off, just like I had done with the rest of my council. As I looked around, I saw a lot more of the dead faces of the council members that were all around me. I squinted my eyes, had they come back to haunt me, and to kill me?
None of this made sense at all to me, but at the same time, I knew that I was getting exactly what it was that I had deserved. I lowered my head to the ground once again, until I heard another familiar voice of the dead begin to speak to me.
I looked up at it, as this was not one of the ones that I had killed. I still was lost, and had no clue as to what it was that was going on right now. How were the dead even talking to me right now? I was not even sure if I knew if this lady was dead or not either.
Hell... What was I talking about? She probably was dead... Just like the rest of them were. All of the people that I had seen alive, had just either made it out of pure luck, or they had been outside the walls of the community when this had all happened.
I lifted my head up at the women anyways, as I felt guilty, but I knew I had to listen to what it was that she had to say to me anyways. I stared for just a few moments, as she finally began to speak to me all at once, and I knew who it was.
"You got us all killed... First your council, and then the rest of us! You actually believed that we would be safe?" I heard the starchy tone of Lilly say to me. I was not sure if she was talking to me like that because she was dead, or if it were because she always talked to me like that for some reason.
I looked away from her though, as I knew that she was right. I did not have much of a choice though... They were going to kill all of us either way... If made me feel a bit sick to think of it this way, but at least I was still alive...
I shook my head, as I knew that I should not be thinking that way. There had been so many good people that had been killed, in my council, and there last thoughts would have been them knowing that I was the one that had been the reason for their deaths.
I was beginning to close my eyes, until this time, I heard another familiar voice speak to me. It was the last voice that I wanted to hear at the moment however. As her voice was not messed up like the rest of them, but I wish that she did however.
I looked up at the woman that was in front of me. I hated her so much, and I wished that she was dead. They had taken her back with them though, so I knew that she was still alive. After they found out how she was to the leader, I don't think she would make it long there though.
It actually, for some strange reason, cracked a bit of a smile on my face, knowing that it were the case. I then shook my head, as I looked over at her, keeping the same smile, as I listened to her speak to me.
"Shannon... You will not make it long as a leader... They will eventually find out that you were the one that betrayed them... They will kill you... This is how the world works now." She said to me, with the same little smug smile on her face, that I had on hers.
It made me lowered my head, as the smile that I had on my face, did not last that long. I then closed my eyes, as I knew that she was right with what she had said to me. I had no choice though! They were going to kill me, if I had not made that plan...
I saved some of their lives! I shook my head as well, as I knew that they were coming, and I had watched my entire council get murdered, right in front of my eyes. It made me feel sick, like I was going to vomit. I shook my head, as I lifted it up at all of them that were in front of me.
I then saw what it was that was in front of me, they all had smiles on their faces, as I saw them begin to lick their lips for some reason. I then realized what it was that was going on, as I began to freak out. That is when it all happened, as they all then ran on top of me.
It seemed as I felt all of it as well, as I knew that all of it was real. I felt every bite, as they tore me apart and began to eat my flesh. I closed my eyes, as I knew that this were the end for me.