Chapter 16: A Note (Shannon's PoV)

The car kept on going for a couple of seconds, and I wondered if Lilly had heard me, or if I had actually spoken up in the first place. I looked at Lilly for a couple of seconds, as she seemed to have made no note, that she had heard a word that I had just said.
I blinked a couple of times, as I looked at the road, and the area that we were driving through right now. It was not just the fact that I road down this road on the high way, on the way back from school, but I had also driven down this road as well, when my mother and I had the time, and she had taught me how to drive a car.
A car that was much unlike the car that I was currently seated in at the exact moment. I stared at Lilly, as she let out a bit of a sigh suddenly, as a saw her look at me from the corner of her eyes as well. She then suddenly pressed hard on the break, but luckily not too hard so that the car went out of control.
As she drove off on the side of the high way, she then turned her head over to me, and she squinted her eyes for a couple of moments, as it was clear that she was waiting for me to speak to her, and tell her the reason that I had wanted her to stop the car.
I just stared back at her for a bit more time, with a bit of a blank look on my face, as I was not sure what was going on, and why I had even told her to stop the car in the first place. She then shook her head at me at the same time as well, as she then began to speak up to me.
"You told me to stop... So are you going to tell me why? Or are we just going to sit on the road for a little while, the world is going crazy right now, and you sure as hell have wasted a lot of time." She said to me. I blinked a couple of times, as I thought about what she had just said to me.
I stood there for just a bit of some time, as my mind was drawing a blank, and I was confused as to what was the reason that we had stopped here in the first place. I knew that it had been my idea, but I was not so sure as to what it was that my brain was even thinking at the moment.
I felt a bit dead in there, a lot of that having to do with the fact that I had seen my mother get torn apart in front of me, by some sort of crazy cannibal, but also because I just felt dead inside right now, which I was sure that the both of the correlated together quite well.
I looked back up at Lilly, as I saw that she was staring at me, as she did not look to happy that I had made her stop the car. I stood there for a couple of seconds, with a bit of a guilty look on my face, until it all came back to me, as to the reason that I had made her stop the car.
I had to tell my father what had happened, and I had to let him know that I was somewhere safe. I needed Lilly for that as well, as I needed her to tell my father the place that we had gone to, or at least, the place that we were heading over to right now.
I stared at Lilly for a couple of seconds, and then I nodded to her, to let her know that I was ready to speak. She then nodded back to me, as she rolled her eyes at me. We sat in silence for a couple for seconds, until I decided that I was going to speak to her.
"My home... It's right off of the exit ahead of us... Can I... Can I just..." I sat there for a few seconds, as all of the sudden my mind drew a bit of a blank, as I forgot what it was that I was about to say to her. I blinked a couple of times as I then looked down at the ground at the same time as well.
I saw Lilly from the corner of my eyes at the same time as well, as I could tell that she seemed to feel a bit bad for me. I really did not want her pity, but I did not have much of a choice, as I felt dead inside... She was gone, and she was all that I had left...
What was I actually going to tell my father about all of this? My father did not love me, at least, not like he loved my mother, and I felt like if he found out about the death of my mother, and how she had died, he would take a lot of the blame out on me.
Maybe I deserved it... Maybe I should have told my mother to just leave the guy that was in the bath room alone, like the rest of the people were in the DMV, and told her not to worry about it. I shook my head though, as I knew that I would not have thought of that, as I was not expecting what had happened in front of my eyes.
No one had, but at the same time, a lot of people were afraid of the virus, that no one had wanted to check it. I knew that my mother was going to open the door no matter what was the case, and I would not have stopped her, neither would my father.
I was not sure if my father was going to view it like that though. My father was a great strong man, but he had always looked at me like some sort of failure for some reason, and I was not sure what that reason even was for, as I had never done anything to deserve the way that he treated me, and the way that he looked at me.
I almost wanted to cry though, as I still loved my father, and my mother always said that he loved me as well, though he never showed it all that much to me. I did not want to see him in pain, but I knew that he was going to be in a lot of it, once he found out the news of what had happened to my mother.
I felt like I should not be such a baby at the same time as well though, as the lady that was with me in the car right now, she too had lost someone that she cared for, and based on the fact that she had told me that she was taking me to a 'safe place' and from what I would have to assume was just me and her, her friend might be all that she really had.
I closed my eyes for a couple of moments, as I let out a bit of a sigh at the same time as well. I did my best to try not to cry, as I blinked a couple of times, to make sure that I did not have any tears dripping from my eyes, and then I looked back over to Lilly.
Lilly did not seem to have very much emotion on her face at all, at the exact moment, and I was not sure if that were normal for her, or if that was just her way of dealing with the pain that she was in right now. I could not be too sure, as I really did not know this lady at all.
We had only met, because both of the people that we were with at the DMV, had both been killed, and we both needed a way out, and she had taken me with her thankfully enough. Though I suppose it had been more of a wish to her friend that had gotten himself killed to save me, and the rest of the people that were in the DMV.
Lilly stood there for a little while, as she turned her head around, as I heard a car drive past us on the free way at the same time too. Unlike her, I did not turn my head over to it, as it was not the first car that we had seen, though it was a bit rare, as the roads had been quite a bit dead since we had left the DMV.
I had never seen the roads so dead in my life, not even when it was around 2 or 3 am in the morning. I blinked a couple of times though, as Lilly turned her head over to me, and then she nodded at me, as she finally began to speak to me at the same time as well.
"What is it that you want? Did you leave something there? Something of your mothers?" She said to me. I looked at her for a few moments, as I squinted my eyes at her at the same time as well. I was not sure of how to respond to what it was that she had just now said to me.
It sounded like she was speaking in a bit of a voice that she thought that I was some sort of idiot, or cry baby. As I looked at her for a bit, she did not budge at all, and I was sure that she had not meant it in the way that I had first thought of it.
I dipped my head a bit low to the ground though, as I was not quite sure what was going on with me at the moment, as I felt like I just wanted to go home, lay in bed, and go to sleep. Maybe that would not be so much of a bad idea, and maybe I would wake up and my mother would still be there.
I knew that my mother was gone though, and I knew that all of this was real. This was too long, and it felt too real for this to be a dream. At least, maybe I would wake up, and perhaps my father would there by my side. Even though we were never close to one another, he was still my father.
I let out a bit of a sigh, as I saw that Lilly still had her eyes squinted at me, as I had forgotten that she had just spoken to me at the same time as well. I then nodded to her, as I thought about what it was that she had said to me at the same time as well.
It was not that I had left something at the apartment, it was more the fact that I needed to keep something there, to tell my father where I was at, and where he could find me as well. I then blinked a couple of times, as I saw Lilly then nod back to me, as I decided to finally respond to her.
"No... My father, he is in the city right now... I have to at least let him know where we are at, so that he can find me." I said to her. She looked at me for a couple of seconds, as she blinked her eyes, as she was a bit confused as to what I had just now said to her.
She stood there for a couple of seconds, as she all of the sudden shook her head at me, for some odd reason, and then she began to burst out in a random bit of laughter, as if all of this was some how funny to her. I looked at her a bit angry, and a bit confused as to what was going on as well.
After a couple of moments, of her just sitting there and laughing at what I had just said to her, she then began to wipe of the tears of laughter from her face, as she then suddenly began to look dead serious to me, with a dead look in her eyes, and in her soul.
I was lost as to what was going on, as it seemed as if she was having some sort of random mood, and personality swings. I blinked a couple of times, as I just sat there, and let her stare at me for a bit more time, until she finally then began to respond to me, and I listened to what it was that she had to say.
"You think your father is going to get out of down town right now? Might as well say good bye to him now... They are every where down there right now." She said to me. I looked at her for a couple of moments, as I then suddenly dipped my head down low to the ground at the same time as well.
Perhaps she was right, and that my father was already dead like my mother was. At the same time though, I felt like she was wrong for what she had said to me. I should at least give him a chance, and let him know where it was that I was at.
I looked back at Lilly, as this time I squinted my eyes at her once again, and then I shook my head at her as well, as I then began to speak to her at the same time, while she had a bit of a confused look on her face, as if I had not heard what she had just said to me.
"If there is even a small chance he is alive, I owe it to him... At least leave him a note..."