Chapter 46: Following Us (Christians POV)

I looked at Ben for a few moments, as the both of us were hiding behind some somewhat thick trees, so it was harder for them to spot us, and get an accurate shot on us. I had my gun up right away, even after they had told us that we needed to put our guns down. You could say it was rebellious, or you could say that it might be idiotic.
Hell... If any thing, I felt it to be the smartest move out of all of them. Surely at this point, the way that the world had come to, they would realize that had said some thing along the lines of that, and they had fired a shot at us none the less, that they would know that the person would have their guns ready if any thing.
I wanted to say that these people might not have bad intent for us, but if I was going to be perfectly honest with my self, I was not too sure that it was the case. The world was nothing but evil now a days, and it felt like not a single person could be trusted in a world as cruel as the one that we lived in right now.
I had my gun out, as I waited to hear foot steps, as I did not dare poke my head out to see if they were aiming at us, or what it was that they were doing. I knew that waiting for the foot steps was the smartest call out of all of this, and if we had not hear any in the next few moments, than we could just go ahead and start to run off.
I would not have as to a clue as to where it was that we would be going, as I had never been in these woods before, in my whole life, but I was sure that we would find a place some where, with a street sign, that would let us know where we were, so that I could see where we were at on the map.
I shook my head, as I knew that was besides the point at this current moment in time, as I knew that if we did any thing at all right now, it would risk us getting shot. I had not got to see, nor hear any one else, so for all that we knew, it could simply just be one lady, but I felt like that was not the case at all how ever.
Ben had told me that he had heard a fair amount of people in side the gas station whilst I had some how slept through all of it. I had to believe Ben at the same time too, as I had for sure seen a lot more foot steps than just one more person whilst we had been tracking where it was that they had gone in the first place.
I was not too sure how they had noticed that we were tracking us, as perhaps some one had been staying further back, just to make sure, as I felt like that might be a good defense tactic, if you were worried that some one was tracking you down. I shook off all of those thoughts how ever, as I felt like that could not be the case.
Unless of course, they had some secret hidden place in the woods some where, which I also felt could not be true at all, as I was fairly certain that some one would have run in to them at some point or another. I shook my head, as I still was not so sure as to how they had known, but I felt like that was beside the point now.
Right now we needed to focus on the fact that they had shot at us, which was a clear threat no matter what way you were to look at it, as guns were not some thing to mess around with, as they were not a joke at all. I squinted my eyes for some odd reason or another, as I saw Ben look at me with quite a confused look on his face.
I was not squinting my eyes at him how ever, as I was just more squinting my eyes, so that I could think on it a little bit more, as well as think of a quick and safe way to get us out of the situation that we were in at this very moment in time. I shook my head to my self, as I felt like the first idea, was us to wait a few more seconds, and then run whilst they were off guard, was the best idea of them all, as I was sure that it was harder for them to shoot us when we were on the run.
I felt like they were not all that accurate with their shots at the same time either, as they had missed the shot on me by a long shot for sure, as I knew that they would most likely be going after me first, before they would go after Ben, as I was the bigger guy, and I looked like the guy that they would not want to mess with.
I also knew that they could not catch up to us either, as they had kids with them, and there was no way that they would leave their kids behind, at least I thought that it would be the case, but I was never too sure with the crazy world that we lived in now a days, as crazy shit happened every day that we were out of these walls.
We had no other choice, as we could not risk the fact of whether or not we should talk to them. I did not want to shoot them either, as for one, they very well could have been innocent people, and they might have just fired a warning shot, for us to not get any closer to us, which would make sense if they knew we had been tracking them in the first place.
For all we knew, they could just be a bunch of scared younger people, that were trying to push away a bunch of people that were tracking them, as I knew that we be scary for sure, if we were to know that there was some one that had been tracking both Ben and I whilst we had been out there.
I also did not want to shoot at them either, as for all I knew, there could be a lot more than just a few people, as I had seen too many foot steps for me to count, as they had all been scuffled up with one another. Our best option if I was going to be honest with my self, was simply to just get ready to run.
I looked at back at Ben, as I saw that he had his eyes on me, as it was clear that he was waiting for me to give him the sign, and for me to tell him what it was that we should do right now, as I was not going to lie to my self, this was a very messy situation that we had ourselves stuck in, at this very moment in time as well.
I sighed a bit to my self, as I kept my eyes locked on the kid for some time, until I finally nodded to him. Ben blinked his eyes a few times, but in the end, he did in fact nod right back over to me, as it was now clear to me that it was safe for me to speak up to him quietly, which I did in fact do as such as well.
"Alright... When I say on 3... I will count us down, and we will begin to run as far as we can in to the woods, so that they will not be able to track us... Alright?" I said to him, as I made sure that he could hear what it was that I had said to him at the exact same time as well.
Ben had quite the scared look on his face, as it was the most amount of fear that I had seen on him, since the attack that had on our community. That always left a sour taste on my tongue, whenever I was to think back on that, as for all we knew, these people could be with that very group that had done as such a thing, as they could have been spying on us.
We could never be too sure, as I knew that it was more than likely a terrible idea no matter what, to try to talk to these people, as I felt like any way that I looked at it, it was going to end in a very bad confrontation, which was for sure some thing that I did not want to mess around with at all either.
I kept my eyes on Ben for just a little bit longer how ever, as I finally saw a bit of a look in his eyes, that told me that he was now finally awake, as he all of the sudden nodded to me at the exact same time as well, that way he was to let me know that he had in fact heard as to what it was that I had just said to him, and he let me know that he was ready when ever I was.
I nodded to my self, instead of nodding back to Ben, though I was sure that Ben had thought that I was nodding back to him how ever. That did not matter as that was besides the point how ever, as I shook off all of those thoughts at the same time too, as I blinked just a few times, as I kept my eyes locked on the kid.
A few more seconds seemed to pass, as when they did, I was starting to think that now might be the perfect time for us to rush, as for all that I knew, they could be ready to shoot at us, as they were sneaking up on us from far away on the sides of the trees, as they were getting ready to shoot at the both of us right now.
I doubted it to be the case, but like I had said earlier, there was no such thing as being too careful. As I was sure that the people were smart enough to know that not only were their foot steps easy to see, but if they were easy for others to see, than it meant that it was easy for us to hear as well.
I shook off all of those thoughts all at once how ever, as I kept my eyes locked on Ben, as I was just about ready to nod to him, to let him know that it was just about time for us to get ready to run off as fast as we possibly could, so that it was impossible for them to shoot us through all of the trees, as well as how fast we were going.
Just as I was about to do as such, I suddenly heard the loud voice of a man, instead of a woman, like I had heard just a little while ago. I was not sure if I should be worried about it, as it did in fact let me know that there was more than one person, which made me feel safer on the fact that it meant that I now knew that there was more than just a lady and some kids.
It was bad on the fact that it meant that there was a lot of them, and it meant that there would be more people shooting at us. I shook my head how ever, as I then began to listen as to what it was that the man had to say at the exact same time as well.
"Look... We don't want to hurt you, but we are not sure that we can say the same about you... We noticed you tracking us, so I have to guess that is not any thing good for us." He said out loud at the exact same time too. I was not sure how to take what it was that he had said to us.
A part of me felt like he was right, and if any thing, we were the ones that were in the wrong right now. At the same time too how ever, I also felt like I could not really trust any one in this world any more, and for all that I knew, they could be tricking us, to get us out, and fire some more shots.
I still was not ready to give ourselves up how ever, as it did in fact feel safe a bit to not get ready to shoot at them right away, but at the same time too, I also felt like, the smartest decision for me and Ben in this current situation that we had got ourselves stuck in, was to simply just run as far as we could, away from these people.
Unlike them, we would be nearly impossible to track running out that way, due to the fact that there was a bunch of leaves on the ground. I also knew at the exact same time as well, it would be impossible for them to track us at the same time, as I had to guess that they were not all good at that stuff, due to the fact that they had left a trail for us to follow.
I still was not so sure how they had caught us with out us knowing, as I usually was good at spotting some thing in the woods from very far away. Perhaps they were wearing camo, as it would make sense if they would be heading in to the woods, if I had to take a some what good guess.
That was besides the point how ever, as I shook off all of those thoughts at the exact same time too, as I then got my focus back on to the present, and all that was going on currently around me at the same time too, as I then did in fact remember that there was people with guns ready to shoot at us from a fair distance away.
If they were good or not, I still felt like the smartest play for me and Ben to get out of this, was to just run in to the woods. I was worried that we would get lost, and not know where we were at, but I felt like at the exact same time too, that we did not have much of any other choice at this point in time.
I felt kind of sick, as I really did not want to shoot these people at all, and if they were in fact good people, our community could use that, at this current moment in time, as we were a bit short on people at this very moment in time, to help us take care of the stuff that we needed to do in side of the community, as what happened out side did not matter right now.
I shook off those thoughts at the same time too, as I also knew that I could not risk the lives of me and the kid, as I had in fact promised to take care of him, as he was the one thing that I had left from any good that I had ever had, back when I used to spend a whole lot of time out side of the community, with my best friend.
I shook my head, as I closed my eyes at the exact same time too, as I was not so sure as to what was going on with me right now, as I knew that now was not the time to be messing around with things such as this, as this was a very important moment, and it also could, or could not decide as to what it was that we would do, as well as our future.
I opened my eyes all at once, as I looked at the kid for just a few moments, as to my surprise, the kid was no where to be seen. I blinked my eyes just a few times, as I thought that I might be going a bit crazy all at once too, I knew that for a fact, I had seen him with me just a few moments ago, and he had in fact come with me on this trip.
I was lost, as I was not so sure as to what it was that I was even thinking at the same time either, as I suddenly heard the voice of the kid from not too far away from me at the exact same time too, as at first, it kind of relaxed me a bit to know that I was in fact not going crazy at all thankfully.
I then looked over to where I heard the voice of the kid coming from, as I saw that he was out in the open, and he had just dropped his gun on the ground. I thought that he was going crazy, as I had told him to never do some thing such as that, as it was some thing that would get him killed.
I was about ready to run at him and tackle him to the ground, when I all of the sudden the heard him begin to speak to the people that were behind the trees that I had my back to. I felt like he was an idiot for what it was that he was doing, but I did in fact stop my self, as I then listened as to what it was that he had to say at the exact same time too.
"We don't mean any harm! We heard you whilst we were sleeping in the gas station earlier... We just wanted go and see who it was..." Ben said to all of them at the same time too, as I looked at the kid for just a few moments, as I was ready to see his body fall to the ground, and see a pile of blood ooz from it at the same time too, like I had seen happen from multiple people whilst I had been out here, as they had tried to doing the same as Ben had.
It was silence for a few seconds how ever, as that did not seem to be the case at all how ever, as Ben still had his hands up, as it was clear that he was giving him self up to them. I shivered at the thought of that, as he was basically telling all of them that we were weak, and that we were giving up, but that just was not the case at all.
For all I knew, they very well could still be about to shoot him, as they could just be trying to get a clear shot on him. I still was tempted to tackle him to the ground, as I was a bit worried for the life of the kid, but for some reason, I felt like I was stuck in a bit of a bind, and that there was some thing that was not letting me do as such.
It was a bit strange, because I was normally quick to react to some thing such as that, as I would have noticed him moving from the tree, and giving him self up him, and I would have rushed in to stop him, but it seemed like there was just some thing that was a little bit off with me today how ever.
I was fairly certain that it was a bad thing at the same time too, as I just stared at the kid, as I shook my head at him at the exact same time too, to let him know that I did not agree with what it was that he was doing at all, as it felt quite a bit idiotic to just give your self to people that we did not know at all as well.
Perhaps there could have been some thing that he had heard in the gas station, that might have made it to where he would have trusted them, but I still felt like that should not be the case at all how ever, as I had told him even if you think you could trust some one, more often than not, it usually was not the case.
The world was cruel and cold now a days, and people often liked to trick people, and do things that they was not a good intent at all either, so I felt like there was no such thing as being too safe often times, which was the reason that I had gone a bit slow in tracking them, as I kind of wanted to catch them whilst it became the night.
I shook my head, as I then sighed to my self at the exact same time as well, as I kept my eyes locked on Ben for quite a bit of some time. As it was clear to me that he was paying me no sort of attention at all, as I saw that it seemed to be that he had his eyes locked on some thing, though I was not too sure as to what it could be.
I was still quite a bit scared for the kid, as I could not help to speak to the kid a bit quietly, to make sure that the people that had their sights on us, as I did not want them to hear what it was that I had to say to the kid, as I was still quite a bit worried. I began to speak to the kid either way, any ways.
"Kid! What the hell are you doing? I told you not to do that! You are going to get your self killed!" I said, as I was still tempted to throw him down to the ground, as I felt like they could be aiming at him, but just trying to get a clear shot on him, as they had not got a nearly clear shot on me, when they had tried to shoot at me.
I blinked just a few times, as I saw the kid did not seem aware of me at all, as I had just spoken to him. I was a bit lost as to why for quite a few moments, as to how he had not heard a word that I had just said, as I knew damn well that he was well intent on all that was going on in front of him at the very least.
I thought about it for quite a bit of some time, as I began to think a bit harder, as perhaps, it could be the case that he did not want to look at me, due to the fact that he was worried that it would scare them, for them to know that I was talking to him quietly, which would be a smart call, so long as these were good people at the very least, which I still felt like I could not be all too sure of.
I shook off all of those thoughts how ever, as I kind of was feeling just a little bit safer, due to the fact that they had in fact not tried to shoot at him yet, and it had been at least 30 seconds, which would have been plenty of time for a person to get a clear shot on their target too, and be able to clearly to take them out as well.
I breathed it quite a bit heavy still, at the exact same time too, as I still felt like people could not be trusted, to matter what the case was. They should think the same as us, if they knew what the world was like. I still was not all too sure about it, but I was in fact starting to feel just a little bit more safe.
I gulped, as I stared at Ben for just a bit longer, as I saw him begin to walk a bit closer, which I was not too sure if it were a great idea, due to the fact that it could be viewed as a threat to them, if they were in fact good people. I blinked a few times though, as still, not a single shot was fired.
Ben suddenly stopped all of the sudden at the same time too, as he nodded to them for some odd reason or another. I was still a bit lost for some time, as I then began hear the lady step up to speak, just as she had done a few moments before now, as I closed my eyes for a second or so, and I listened as to what it was that she had to say.
"Yes... But any other person would stay away if they heard a person... Unless they were with ill intent of course... So why were you really following us?"