Chapter 11: No Use (Shannons PoV)

I sat there for a few moments, as it still did not hit me, as to what it was that was going on at the current moment. For some reason, I could not comprehend that my mother had just been torn apart by some crazy man, right in front of my eyes.
If I could even call that a man... He looked a bit strange, as I saw the guard continuously beating him with a bat, all over his body, as it did nothing to him at all, nor did he have any reaction, like any other animal would, when it kept on getting hit.
It kept on slowly walking towards the guard, that had also been bit, but not nearly as badly as my dead mother had been. It felt a bit strange for me to even say that to myself, even in my own head. As it still did not feel real, and it felt like I was in some sort of dream.
The crazy man, even after every hit that he took, he kept on going, right at the guard, who once again turned his head over to me, and the lady guard that was now standing right beside me, as if she was going to protect me from the crazy man.
He kicked the man back, as it did not do much, until he slipped, and fell on my mothers dead body, who did not have any sort of reaction to the fact that a big man had just falled on top of her. That is when it really all hit me at the exact same time as well.
I now realized it, as I began to scream, and cry, as if I was some little girl, that had just lost their parents in a grocery store. I was 16 though, but still, I had just experienced the worst thing for any person to have ever seen, no matter the age, right in front of my very own eyes.
The man did not seem to have any sort of emotion at all, as to the fact that he had just torn apart my mother, and had my mothers blood, mixed in the the guards blood, all over his mouth, and over the rest of his body as well.
That is when I just had my soul ripped out of me. It was no use any more, what was I going to tell my father when I get back home, all alone. I looked down at the ground at the same time too, as I was getting a little bit too ahead of myself as well.
I was not even sure if I was even going to get back home, I had not even gotten my license. I shook my head, as I almost wanted to laugh, though I knew that now was not the time for that. It was funny how my brain was still thinking all of this was normal.
It wasn not though, a lot of the stuff in the city had been shut down, as this thing that was in front of me... Many of those things had been reported all over the country, and the rest of the world. I knew that nothing wad ever going to be the same anymore.
That is when my mind, and my eyes got back on to what was going on all around me. The guard had managed to push the man on to the ground, right on to my mothers dead body, and he had turned his head over to me, at the same instance, as he began to speak to me as well.
"Young lady... Follow my friend! She will take you to somewhere safe! I will try to help your mother, and take care of this man!" He said to me. I looked at the guard for a few moments, as I was not sure how exactly to react to what he had just said to me.
The female guard came a bit closer to me, and put her hand on my shoulder, to let my know that she was there for me. I looked back at the woman, and I squinted my eyes at her at the same time too. I could tell that she was a lot like me right now though.
I did not feel like I should attack her, or get mad at her for this. None of this was her fault, and I could tell by the look that was on her face, that she was just as afraid as I was right now. I looked back at the male guard, he continued to fight the man, though I could tell that he was getting more and more tired, by each passing moment.
The other man, that did not even look human at all, it did not look like he was tired at all, but at the same time, it did not even look like he had any sort of emotion on his face either. I stared at him, as I wanted to yell at him, but that would do me nothing.
I knew that the guard did not have very much longer, and his attempts to rescue my dead mother, were just about futile, and I also knew that he knew as well as I did, that my mother was dead. I knew what he was doing though, and he was quite the brave man for doing it.
He was making sure that me, and his friend, the other guard, had a safe way out of this. I had to give it to the man as well, he was a strong man for what he was doing. I then shook my head at the same time too, as I watched dead crazy man take him to the ground.
And though the guard looked to be a fair bit strong, the crazy man seemed to have easily taken the guard down to the ground. The guard tried to push him off of of himself, but his attempts did not seem to be doing all that much, as I could tell that he was very worn out.
The crazy man kept on biting in to the guards arm, as I saw blood squirting every where at this point. It would not be long until the guard would soon end up like my mother, dead on the ground, and I knew it. I just was not sure what to do to stop it.
I stared for just a few moments longer, as I heard the guard continuously yell in extreme pain... That was when, all of the sudden, I heard quite a loud bang from right beside me. I turned my head over to it right away, to see what it was, as it had scared me quite a bit.
I then saw what it was right away, as it was the first time that I had really heard a gun, from right up close to me like that. I saw that the female guard, had shot a bullet out of the pistol that she held in her hand. I blinked a few times as well, as I was still quite a bit surprised.
I then heard a bit of a groan, but it was not the sane groan that I had heard from the bathroom a few moments ago, when my mother was still alive as well. I looked over to where I had heard the groan come from, as I then saw that it was the male guard.
I could tell that he was in a lot of pain, but he was still alive, much unlike my mother was. He had not nearly as bad as what my mother had, but that really was not saying much, as I could see a lot of intestines, in front of me, that I wish I had never seen.
The man had some very deep wounds, and bites all over his arms, but he did eventually lift himself up, and he nodded to the both of us at the same time as well too. His female guard, that was his friend, came up to him, to help him right away.
He stopped her though, as he shook his head at the same time too. I looked at him a bit confused, but still my eyes were mostly on my mother, that still laid dead on the floor. Luckily I did not have to look at her much more, as I then heard the female guard then speak to the male guard.
"Ethan... You are badly hurt... I've got a first aid kit, I can go get it, and I can help you!" She said to him. The man did not seem to have listened to what it was that she had just said to him though. As I saw that he had a bit of a blank look in his eyes, as if he had just had his soul taken from him.
After a few moments though, he blinked a few times, as he then lifted his head back up to the both of us, as I saw that he had a bit of a sad smile on his face, at the same time as well. I was a bit confused as to what was going on right now, but I listened to what it was that he had to say, as he began to speak.
"No Lily... I have the virus now... You go and take her to the safe place I told you about... There's no point in that now... It is no use..."