Chapter 5: All Ready (Shannons PoV)

I closed my eyes for just a few moments, as I knew at the same time, that I should not be doing so, due to the fact that the dead were all over the streets in the community at the exact moment. I sat there for some time any ways however.
I had to get all of those thoughts off of me now... I knew that this was all my fault, and no matter what I did, I could never repay for all of the people that had been killed because of me. I shook my head, as I heard a bunch of the dead groaning near me.
It was mainly the one that was missing a leg, and had another leg trapped that was the one that was making all of the noise at the moment, due to it being the one that was closest to me. The other ones were quite loud as well, due to most of them trying to get the dude that was on top of his house.
I am sure that if I was near them, it would give me a migraine. I looked at the one that was right near me at the moment, as I squinted my eyes at it, at the same time as well. It just reached its arms, and its hands over at me.
I moved back, a bit scared, and a bit surprised as well, as I nearly fell on to a nearby bush, which I knew would not feel good, due to the prickly leaves that were all over it. I looked at it for a bit of time as well, as I saw pieces of flesh, and blood all over it.
I felt like I was going to throw up, as I quickly made sure to look away from it at the same time too. There was not many other places for me to look though, as I turned my head back over to the dead that was doing its best to crawl over to me, but could not do so, due to the fact that it was stuck.
I closed my eyes for just a few more moments, as I tried my best to shake it all of, and to remember what it was that I had came here to do in the first place. I knew there was a reason that I had gone outside, I just was not sure what it was.
Why would I want to go outside, when I knew that the dead were all over the place right now, and would tear me apart the moment that they saw me? I shook my head, as I looked over to what it was that I had been looking at, just a few moments before hand.
The generator! Of course, that is what it was! I stared at it for just a few more seconds as well, as I tried to remember once again, why I had even come out here to go to the generator in the first place. I then remembered all of it, all at the same time.
I had come here, for the back up power to the meeting room, so that we would actually be able to see each other in there, and to write down, and to draw up a plan, of how to get us out of this sticky situation. I looked at the switches for a few moments, as I tried to remember which was which.
I knew if I was to turn all of them on, we would run out of our back up power in just a flick. I had to be very careful, and make sure that I chose the correct ones. I stared at each switch for a few more moments, as I had remembered that Tanner had put pieces of paper on all of them, to show me which ones were which.
They looked all worn out, and it was hard for me to see the ink on it now, from all of the rain, and also due to the fact that it had been written down over a year ago, up to this point. I could barely read them, but I got a few of the letters to one of them.
I remembered the general area that he had told me that the meeting room switch would be on. I looked around trying to figure out which one it was, until I spotted a few of the letters, mainly the first one, which started with an uppercase M.
I flicked on the switch at the same time too, as I expected for some reason, that all of the lights in the house were all of the sudden going to switch on, which was not possible I knew, due to them all being in different sections. I was just scared, so that was the reason that I was having those thoughts.
I shook my head, as I then closed the door to the generator, as for the first time in quite a while, I let out just a little bit of a smile. I sat there for just a bit longer as well, until I heard the same groaning of the dead, that I had heard just a few moments ago.
I turned my head over to it, as I saw it still reaching its hands at me, but this time it did not scare me nearly as much as the times before that I had looked at it. I stared at the dead for just a few moments, as I tried to see if it might be someone that was once a part of our community.
I had seen a few roaming the streets over the past couple of days, a few faces that I had seen before, but for the most part, I knew that a lot of the dead that were in here, had come from when the gates had been left open, and a lot of the walls had been damaged.
That would have to be one of the first things that I needed to do, when, and if we got all of the dead out of our community. I still was not too sure if my plan would even work in the first place. I had to keep my head up though, and at least have some sort of hope.
I shook my head once again, as I heard the dead groan at me another time. This time I felt like I was a bit tired of hearing it groan at me, as I was starting to get quite a bit annoyed by it. I was trying to think to myself, as to what it was exactly that I was planning on doing in the first place.
The groan of the dead I realized, had helped me at the same time as well, as I realized that I was not in the most safe place to be lost in thought, and planning things through my head. I looked around me, as I turned my head over to the man that was still on the roof of his house.
I saw that the windows were completely gone at this point, and the walls did not look to have very much life in them either. If he was going to make it, than I would have to think of something very soon. So that he did not end up like the other dead guy that was beside me.
I looked away from the sad man, that had his head down low, and had his eyes closed if I had to guess, as I knew that he did not want to see all of the dead, nor did he want to hear them, as he knew that he might be one of them soon to come.
I shook my head once again, as I knew that I should not have such a negative view on things like that, as I turned my head over to the dead that was on the ground, and still reaching over to me, hoping that it could grab on to me, and pull me down and tear me apart.
I pulled out my gun at the same time, as I felt like it was about time to put that dead in its place. I knew that it must have got stuck here when the attack had first gone off. It really was getting on my nerves though, hearing in groaning over, and over again.
I stared at it for just a few moments, as I turned the safety off the gun at the same time as well. I was just about to pull the trigger, when the smart part of my head then stopped me. I knew if I were to shoot at it, I did not have a silencer on me at the moment.
All of the dead, from at least a thousand feet away, they would all come over to where I was at right now. That would likely spell the end for all of the plans that I had to get us out of this sticky situation that we were in. I put the gun down at the same time, as I turned the safety back on as well.
I then put the pistol back in to the holster as I then began to walk past the dead, doing my best to ignore the groans that it kept on giving me. It was really getting on my every last nerve though, as I turned my head back over to it.
I felt like I wanted to yell at it, to tell it to shut up. I knew that it would not listen to me, as it was one of the dead, and they were by far not the smartest of the creatures to roam the earth. I also knew at the same time too, if I were to do that, than it might attract some unwanted attention my way.
I looked away from the dead, as I heard it keep on groaning at me. I walked up to the door, that I remembered I had not locked when I had come out here in the first place. I was about to open it, but I looked back at the dead one more time.
I felt like I should put it out of its misery as well. It looked like it had been dead for at least a decade... It might very well be one of the dead from the original attacks. I stared at it for a bit more time, as I was not quite sure what it was that I was doing.
I realized that I had a blade in my pocket at the same time too. I was sure that it was not made to kill anything, besides maybe a squirrel... But I felt like I should let this dead finally off of this retched planet. The dead persons skull was probably so rotted up at this point, that the blade would get the job done.
I looked around me once again, to make sure that none of the dead that were all across the area, were looking at me at the exact moment. Once I made sure that I was safe, I then turned my head back over to the dead that was in front of me.
I slowly began to walk over to it, as it was no more than 15 feet away from the doorway anyways. I stopped once I was right up on it as well. I looked at it for some time, as I felt like I was going to throw up. I had only had to kill one of the dead before, and that was only to make sure that I did not lose my own life.
This was completely different than that time. This time I was doing this, just to put the dead out of its misery... It stood no sort of threat to me at all. I moved back just a slight bit, as I felt like this was a bad idea... I then shook my head again.
I had to do this, I had no other choice... Besides, we were going to kill all of the dead anyways, odds are the others would kill it, as soon as we were to walk out of the door. I looked back over to the dead, as I put the blade up above me.
I then went right over to it, but just as I got close to it, it grabbed on to my arm. I looked at it, quite a bit surprised for a few moments, as I had not thought that through clearly. It then began to pull my arm over towards its mouth at the same time.
It was a lot stronger than I had ever expected it to be as well. I had been told by a lot of the people that went out of the walls, that they were very strong, but it seemed as though I had taken it for granted, and I thought that maybe they had been over exaggerating at the same time too.
It had not been the first time that I had been wrong, as suddenly my life then flashed before my eyes, as I watched it pull my arm towards its mouth. I did not know what to do, as I could not think of anything off of the top of my head, to get myself out of this.
It then bit me, and began to tear me apart. I stared at it for a few moments, as it really did not feel all that painful to me at all. I then just moved closer, as I felt like I should just let it finish me off. I rolled my body over to it, as it then began to bite into my chest.
I watched as blood squirted all over the place, as I saw my shirt get ripped apart, and my intestines were guzzling out of my chest. I looked around, with a bit of smile. This was the perfect way to end all of this, I had in coming after all I suppose.
I looked all around me, as I felt a bit of another bite. I then saw that many of the other dead that were across the street as well, had noticed that this dead had gotten on me. It was almost as if he used some sort of mental powers to talk to his fellow dead.
I stared at them, as they got a bit closer to me as well. Then they crawled on top of me, just as the first dead had done. They too got a piece of me, as they all groaned happy groans, as they began to tear me into little itty bitty pieces.
I sat there for a while, as I did not feel any sort of pain for a long time. Then it all hit me at once, for some reason it felt like it was coming from my foot, and like there was something that had been tearing it apart. I looked down below it at the same time as well.

I blinked a few times, as I was suddenly back in the same place that I had just been at, no more than a few seconds ago. I felt the blade in my hand, and I saw that the dead was right below me at the same time as well. I instantly realized why I had felt that thing in my foot too.
The dead had got a hold of my shoe, or sort of my foot rather, as it was doing its best to bite in to it. It was very strong as well, making me question if what had just happened to me, had really been a dream or not. I moved back, as it was very strong, but it did not have a good hold on me.
It nearly ripped off my shoe, as I moved away from it, but luckily that were not the case for me. I looked at the dead for just a bit longer, as it groaned at me again. This time I was not annoyed by it, but instead I felt a bit sick by the fact that it was still groaning at me.
Not only that, but for some strange reason too, it almost looked as though it had a bit of a smile on its face, at the same time as well. I turned my head away from the dead, not wanting to look at it, any longer. I shook my head, as I instead looked over at the streets, and mainly over to the guy that was still on his roof.
I shook my head, as I knew that I did not have much time, to save the life of the man now. I also realized that we only had a few more hours of sun light, at the same time too. I looked back over at the dead that was beside me one last time.
I stared at it, as I felt like I should go ahead and do what it was that I had been planning on doing just a few seconds ago. But I was suddenly afraid of that dream that I had just had. Besides, I knew that if all was to go right, it would be completely gone by the morning.
I looked away from it, as I put the blade back in to my pocket at the same time as well. I then began to walk over to the door that I had used to get out of the house in the first place. I stared at it for a bit, as I looked back over to the dead one last time.
I shook my head, as I then opened the door to the house. I quickly then walked in to the place, and then I closed the door, and locked it, just for good measures too. I shook my head, as I did not want to think about the dead man that was on the side of the street, any longer.
I then looked up, as I remembered what it was that I was doing in the first place. I turned my head over to the meeting room, as I saw someone poke their head from around the corner of the room, at the same time as well. I looked at the man, a bit surprised, but we both nodded to each other, as he began to speak to me.
"We were wondering where you were at Shannon... We are all ready!"