Chapter 12: Follow Her (Shannons PoV)

I looked at the man, the guard that had tried to save my mothers life, as I knew that he was quite the brave man for what he was doing. It was a shame that it was just a little bit too late now, as my mother was already gone, her stomach had been ripped open in front of my eyes.
Because I witnessing that, I did not have much emotion, or much feeling at the moment, to even care one bit about the brave man. I was too busy looking at the torn open body of my mother, that lay on the ground ahead of me, as the blood continued to ooze down across the tile floor.
Out of the corner of my eye, I watched a little bit, of the guard beating the man as to what would seem like to a pulp, if he was a normal human, but this man, as I had already found out, just by the fact that he had torn open the stomach of my mother, that he was no normal man.
He kept on hitting him, over at over, as it seemed to do no use, as I could tell, that he was getting very tired, after each and every hit that he swung at the crazy man. The crazy man though, seemed to be quite the opposite of the guard.
He did not look to be worn out at all, as if he had not gotten hit over and over again at all. I shook my head though, as I knew that my main focus was on my dead mother on the floor in the middle of the hallway, right beside the crazy man that had torn her open.
I wanted to yell, and run at the crazy man, which I was not sure how much use it would really be in the end, as the man seemed to have no feeling at all after each hit he took. I was not sure if I could even do that in the first place, as I was just stuck at the moment.
I was a bit lost in my head, as for a lot of time, much like the rest of the world, my parents did not seem to care much about the virus that was passing through, and in the end, it was a bullet that ended up biting my mother in the ass.
What was I going to tell my father when he got back home from work? How was I even going to get back home in the first place? I had no car, I had no license, it would be against the law for me the be driving without a license right now.
It was funny how that was the main thing that was on my mind right now, as if I had not just seen my own mother just get torn apart right in front of me a few moments ago. I closed my eyes for a bit longer, as I heard the crunches of the bat against the crazy man, as time seemed to slow down.
My brain seemed to go a lot faster than it normally did, as I thought about all of the virus, and what I had just heard the guard say to his female guard, Lilly as her name was. He had said that he had the virus now, was it spread through touch?
I shook my head, as I knew that was not where my head needed to be at, at the exact moment, as at the same time, I felt a hand grab on to my right shoulder. I stood there for a little while longer, as time still seemed to be going quite a bit slow.
Then I opened my eyes, as I looked at who had just touched my shoulder. I almost expected it to be the crazy man, as at the same time, I also wanted it to be too. I wanted to be torn apart, and be dead like my mother... Maybe I would get to go to the place that my mother was at.
That would be hell, I suppose... As I had heard that was where people went that did not believe in God. My parents were both heavy atheist, and they kind of shoved it down my throat too. I shook my head though, at the same time, as I knew that was not where my thoughts should be at right now.
I realized that the person that had grabbed my shoulder in fact, was the female guard, as I had not gotten quite a good look at her before hand, but now that I saw her, I could see that there was nothing but straight fear in her eyes.
I could tell that she had no clue as to what was going on, nor how it was that she should handle it either. She was just going off of what the male guard had said for her to do. That was, to take me to their safe place, that they were talking about, that I had no clue as to where it was, or what they were even talking about.
Not that I had even cared when the guard had said it to her in the first place anyways. Now I was starting to think a bit though, as I knew that there was at least one thing that I needed to do, before I went up, to go join my mother in hell.
I had to tell my father about what had happened, as I knew that he could not live, if he got home, and he did not see us with him. If I died, than he would live the rest of the life, having no clue as to what had happened to the both of us.
That was one thing that I could not live with, or die with to say the least. I blinked a few times, as I tried to get all of those thoughts from out of my head at the same time as well, as I looked up at the guard, as I noticed that she had been talking to me, and I had not listened to a word of what she had been saying.
Not that I cared to hear what it was that she had to say anyways. Maybe I should though, as I knew that the male guard had told her to take me to the safe place. Maybe she was the only one that could save me, and let me get to say one final thing to my father.
I stared at the lady for a few moments, as I saw that she was speaking to me, but for some reason it seemed as if I had suddenly gone death, besides to continuous beating of the bat on the crazy man in the back ground. After a little bit longer, I finally came to terms with the present, as I began to hear what it was that the lady was saying to me.
"Ma'am... We need to get out of here now, it is not safe... The TV said that they are all over down town... Come with me now!" She said to me. I looked at her for a little while, as I was not quite sure how to respond to what it was that she had just said to me.
I looked back over to my mother, who was across the shoulder of the lady that had just spoken to me. I looked at her dead body for a little while longer. I wanted to cry, but no tears managed to fall down my face, as it seemed as if I had lost all of my emotions after what I had just seen.
I did not care, I just wanted to die now, I wanted this lady to leave me alone. If she wanted to live, than she should go by herself, what use would I be to her anyways? I was just some teenage girl, who did her best to try to fit in with the culture and cool trends.
What good was I going to do for her? If the world was going to end, I was not going to be of much use. I was not a country kid at all, I had no clue how to make it in a world that we were now about to live in, at least what I would assume, based off of what I had heard so far.
I then heard the beating stop in the back ground, as I looked over at the man, who was in the corner of my eyes, as I saw that he had sweat, mixed with blood all over him. Blood that I was sure was not just his as well. The guard looked at me, and then he began to speak.
"Do like she said! Your mother would not want you to die like this... Like me and her..." He said to me. I looked at the man for a few moments, as I then took in just how deep in had hurt me, as to what he had just said to me. He had just used his own life, to save mine.
I could not let that go to waste, as I looked at the man, and I nodded to him. He managed to crack a little bit of a smile, even with all of the pain that I could tell that he was in at the moment. He nodded back to me, as all of the sudden, the crazy man took him to the ground.
Just like the crazy man had done to my mother, he began to chew in to the guard, as the guard was so tired, that he did not even try to fight back this time. I felt bad for the guard, as he did not know how useless my life was, that he had given up his own life for mine.
I stared at the man for a little bit longer, as he continued to bite in to the guard, who now seemed to be lifeless, as I would not have expected, as he was really not that badly wounded at all. I then seemed to almost hear a voice in my head at the same time too.
I looked around, a bit confused as to where it had come from in the first place, as it did not seem to be the lady guard that was with me, who I could see that unlike me, she was balling her eyes out right now. I wondered if she had been married to the male guard.
I shook my head though, as I focused me ears, or more like, my thoughts on the voice that was speaking to me in my head at the moment. It seemed to be repeating the same 2 words over and over again. This time I finally managed to hear what it was that the voice was saying to me.
"Follow Her..."