Chapter 50: In To Town (Christians POV)

I looked down at the ground, as the floor was hard wood. It was dusty, and it was nasty, and I was not all too sure as to what I was even looking at in the first place, nor was I too sure as to why I was staring down at the floor. I knew why actually, as I knew that I had to stop lying to my self, as I knew that it would not work.
It was not a good habit to get in to, as I hated having to lie to some one, even if it was for their own good. I was not sure if lying to some one was to any sort of good at all. I always wanted a person to be completely truthful with what it was that they had to say to me if they were going to speak.
Lying to my self was even worse, as I knew damn well that it was a terrible idea, and it would not work. I let out a bit of a soft sigh, as I stared at the ground for just a little bit of some time, as I was still not all too sure as to why I was even doing as such in the first place, as I felt a bit sick all at the same time too.
It then all of the sudden caught up to me, all that was going on right now, as I remembered that we were looking for a girl. A young girl at that, as it was in between the ages of Ben and Liam, and I had been tracking her foot steps, up until the point that I kind of had lost them, and we had seen this small little cabin out in the woods.
I was not all too sure if it was a good idea to be going to some mysterious cabin, but the wife and the husband had been so sure as that was where their daughter had gone. I was not going to say other wise, as I did not know that girl at all, but I was sure that if I was a young kid, and did not have a clue as to where it was that I was going, than I definitely would not go to an abandoned cabin in the woods.
Though, any home that you went to at this point in the world, was destined to be an abandoned one, as no one lived any where besides a community, or some other place random out in the wild. It felt a bit strange for me the call the world wild, but that was simply what it was if you were not safe in side of some walls at night.
That was my job, to try to get some supplies from the wild, and bring them back to our home. My job also had been to bring in people that were out here, that were good people too. I was sure that these were good people, but I was not all too sure that they wanted to come to our home, just based off of what they had said the other community had been like for them.
The thought of them being in another community, must sound like a bit of some poison on their tongue, as I was sure that they did not want to go to our place. I figured still, that I had to try to give it a chance at the very least, and also the fact that I knew that any person's life was valuable, and if we found their daughter, perhaps they would be open to it.
The way that things had seemed to be going at this point how ever, it did not seem like we were going to find their daughter, as I let out a bit of a soft sigh, as I was nearly ready to give up at this point, and call it a quits for the night. I knew that they wanted to keep on going though, but I knew that it was a terrible idea to be out side during the night.
That was how you got your self killed for sure, as the dead were stronger, and faster during the night, and not only that, but they also seemed to be a lot smarter, which was not all too hard, as they seemed to have no brains at all, even though I knew that the only way you could kill them, was a hit right to the brain.
I shook my head, as I shook off all of those thoughts at the exact same time too, as I then got my focus back on the present, and all that was going on at this very moment in time. It did not matter all too much to me, whether or not they decided that they wanted to join our community or not at this point, as I still was a bit worried about the scar on the guys face, as I very well felt like he could be using us.
I was sure that they had in fact lost their daughter, as they did not seem to be lying about that at all by any means, though they very well could be very good liars, as I had come to find out about the community that had attacked us not too long ago in the first place, which still was a lot of the reason that I was not like Ben on the fact that it was easy for me to believe all that they were saying to us.
I was sure that no matter what, none of them were innocent, and I was sure just based off of the story that the man had told me, that the man had to shoot some one at some point, meaning that he for sure was not completely innocent, as there was always some thing that some one had to do that was considered bad or evil in this world.
Though, I was not all too sure as to what it was that you could call back or evil at this point, as the definition of all of that, seemed to be all different kinds of misconstrued at this point that the world was like now a days. I let out a bit of a soft sigh, as I got my focus back off of all of that, and back on the present, and what was going on at this very moment in time as well.
I heard that the wife was seemed to cry her self to death, or perhaps to sleep, as when I looked back over to her, she was being held on by her husband, but she was a lot lower to the ground than I had seen her be just a few moments ago, as it was clear that she just wanted to fall down, and keep on crying, and letting out all of the tears all at once.
We still had not found out what it was that had happened to their daughter, but it seemed like they both had come under the assumption that she was dead, and that there was no way that we would be able to find her at this point now. It kind of had me a bit down if I was not going to lie, which was not a normal way for me to be thinking at all at this very moment in time.
I breathed in heavily, as I did my best to try to stay strong, as I could tell that the kids were freaked out too, when I looked over to them, though it did not really seem like all too much, that they had a clue as to what it was that was even going on in the first place any ways, just based off of the confused look on the face that I saw from the teenage boy, about the same age as Ben, and the little girl that was around the same age as Liam.
I blinked a few times, as I then looked back down at the ground once again, as I felt like it was a bad idea for me to be looking at the kids, as I did not want to get the wrong idea from the husband at all, especially after what it was that he had told me had happened to the kids in that place in the first place, as that too made me feel quite a bit sick to even think on that.
I was not so sure as to how any human could be this cruel and evil, but at this point in the world, I felt like nothing should surprise me at all, as I shook off all of those thoughts all at the exact same time as well, as I kept my eyes on the ground that was below me, as if I was going to find some thing that might be a bit important.
The moment that I said that a bit jokingly, all at once, that of course was when I felt like I saw some thing that did not look all too normal at all for me. I saw it on the wood floor boards that were below me, as it was not quite like all of the other floor boards that were all around me at this very moment in time as well.
These floor boards had foot steps, as so did the rest of them, due to the fact that we all had been walking in this cabin home all at the same time too. But the only thing that was different, was the fact that these foot prints were not like the rest, as I could tell, just based off of the fact that I had made sure to check every ones foot size earlier, that these were not the foot size of any one that was in this room right now.
Also, based off of the fact that most of the floor was covered in dust, besides the fact that there had been other foot prints, which were ours in this room at the moment. The size of this one was a lot different than the size of the rest of the others that were in this room at this very moment in time, as I lifted my hand up, to get every one to shut up, so that I could think.
It actually worked to very much of my surprise as well, as I had thought that no one had been paying any sort of attention to me earlier. It was clear that they all had seen me do that how ever, as the room then all of the sudden just became dead silent, and kind of cold, which I was not sure if that were due to it being the winter, or just because it felt that way due to it being silent.
I looked at the foot prints that were below me, for just a little bit longer, as I dipped my head down, to scan it just a little bit more, just to make sure that my initial theory on these was in fact true, and that these foot prints were a lot smaller than the rest, but not quite as small as the youngest girl that was in the room at this very moment in time.
As I stared at those foot prints for just a little while longer to, I then began to realize as to the fact that these were the exact same size, and exact same heel type of shoe that I had been tracking whilst I had been in the woods, meaning that I could come up with the idea that this was in fact the daughter of the parents, as it was the girl that we had been tracking all day.
I blinked a few times, as I was at a bit of a loss for words as I lifted my head up, and I stared at the parents, that were staring right back at me, with quite a bit of a confused look on their face at this very moment in time. It was clear that they did not have as to a clue as to what it was that I was even getting at right now.
The idea of that in my head became a reality all of the sudden, as I then heard the husband begin to step up and speak to me finally, as he realized that I was not going to be speaking to them first. I blinked a few times, as I then nodded to him, and he nodded right back over to me, as he continued on with what it was that he had to say to me, as I did in fact listen as to what it was that he had to say to me in the very first place, at the exact same time as well.
"What is it that you see?" He asked me, as he did his best to try to keep a blank look on his face as he said it to me, as I could tell that he did not want to show any sort of emotion out of him self at this very moment in time, which I really did not blame him for, as I knew that he had to look strong for his wife and his children right now.
I let out a bit of a soft sigh at the same time too, as I was not all too sure as to what was even going on in the first place, as my brain kind of felt a bit dead at this very moment, as me and Ben had been moving like crazy the last couple of days, and also there was the fact at the exact same time too, that I had been thinking a lot as of late.
It was not a good habit to get my self in to, and I knew it, as I shook my head, trying to shake off all of those thoughts that seemed to be swarming through it all at once at the exact same time too, as I knew that there were a whole lot of people in this room right now, that were looking up to me, to be strong right now, so that they could radiate that same energy.
It was quite a bit hard for me to do such a thing, due to the fact that I really did not have much of a clue as to what was even going on in the first place right now, but as I managed to shake off all of those thoughts all at the same time too, blinking my eyes at the man and his wife, as if I had not a clue as to what was going on in the first place at this very moment in time.
It then all of the sudden came back to me all at once, as I looked down at the ground one last time, seeing the fact that there had been foot prints on the ground, and it was clear that those were in fact the foot prints of their daughter, meaning that they had in fact been right that their daughter had gone over to this cabin.
It saved us a whole lot of time too, as I knew that it would have been insanely hard to track the girl through all of the leaves, as I would have just had to have made a guess, and the guess that I would have made would have led no where near in to the direction of the cabin, as her trail was growing more and more stiff by each passing moment, as it seemed like the girl was in a rush for some odd reason or another.
It was almost as if she knew that she was being tracked, and I was fairly certain that she had to know that, even if she thought her parents hated her, she should know that they would be tracking as to where it was that the girl had gone to out in the woods. I shook my head all at the exact same time as well, as I did my best to try to shake off all of those thoughts, as I knew that they did not help me right now.
I knew that I needed to get straight to the point on the parents, as I was sure that every moment that we let the girl keep on going on her own, meant that she was only going to be in more danger, as I was not all too sure as to what it was that the young girl was even thinking in the first place, as to how she might think that she would be better on her own.
Though I did not know what went on in her brain, so I could not get too upset at her, as I knew that every human had a different set of thoughts. I let out a bit of a soft sigh, as I did my best to once again get my focus back on to what it was that was going on at this very moment in time, as I blinked just a few times, continuing to stare down the parents, as I could tell that they were only getting more and more worried as each moment passed.
It was not my intent to try to freak them out at all, as I breathed in a bit heavily to my self, as I was trying my best to keep my self calm, as I did not want to blow this chance that I had, even though that also was a bit of a bad mind set to be in right now, as I knew that I had to keep my focus on the little girl that we were tracking.
I saw the both of them a bit lost, as I knew that I had to tell them what was going on, as I was wasting a fair bit of time right now, which was not normal for me at all. I then all of the sudden nodded to the both of them, to let them know that I was about to speak to them. They both looked over at each other, but in the end they did in fact look back over to me, and they nodded right back over to me, letting me know that it was now safe for me to speak.
I hesitated once again how ever, for some odd reason or another, as if this was not important at all, and there was not a little girl that had their life on the line. I was not too sure what was going on with me, as I shook all of the other thoughts that I had going on in my brain, and I then began to speak to them after another second or so of just dead silence.
"Your daughter was in this cabin..." I said to the both of them, as I saw that their hopes all of the sudden began to sky rocket up to the ceiling, as it was clear that the news of that had brought some sort of new hope in the both of them, as it was clear that they had been hope less just a few moments before now, as it was clear that they had as to not a clue as to what had happened to their daughter. It was clear that they were not the best at tracking, and it was a miracle that they had made it as far as they had when me and Ben had found them out in the woods. I let out a bit of a soft sigh all at the exact same time too, as I did my best to try to shake off all of those thoughts all at the exact same time as well, as I was not all too sure as to what was even going on with me at this very moment in time. I blinked just a few times, as I then all of the sudden nodded a bit to my self for some odd reason or another, as I looked back down at the ground, looking as to where I saw the foot prints leading, as I wondered if the girl might still be in the cabin, and she had not learned from her mistake and was still trying to hide from us. Luckily that was not the case, though it kind of was more unlucky at the same time too, the more I thought on it, as I saw the foot prints leading back to the door way that we had closed a few moments ago. I blinked just a few times, as I suddenly lifted my head back up all of the sudden, and I then looked back over to the man and his wife, as I then continued on with where it was that I had left off on speaking in the first place, as I made sure that the both of them were in fact listening as to what it was that I had to say to them in the first place. "The girl went that way..."
I nodded in the direction that I saw the foot prints heading over to, as I saw that the both of them turned their head over to the closed door, as it was clear that they were not at all bothered as to the fact that her foot prints were on the floor board that was below them at this very moment in time either.
I blinked a few times, as I felt like I too should not be all too worried about it, as I then got my focus on what it was that was going on right now, as I saw that the both of them were looking over at the door way right now. I squinted my eyes at them for just a little while longer, as I was not all too sure as to what it was that I should do next, as I knew that it should be their decision.
They seemed to stare at that door for quite a bit of some time, as if it was some sort of special door to them, that might have some sort of magical powers if you opened it, which made no sense, as we had just walked in to the cabin, and we had closed the door upon us, as if we were worried about a heard of the dead walking up on us out in the middle of the woods.
I was fairly certain that even if you fired a bunch of shots off in to the woods, that the dead would still not want to go that way, unless they saw the person that had fired off that shot. The dead did not like tight and enclosed areas at all, so we were safe out in these woods, though I always looked behind my back just in case.
There was also the fact that some one could be following you, and tracking you, such as we had done to this poor family not too long before now, as I kind of felt bad for freaking them out so much, the more that I thought about it, as they were already freaked out as it was, due to the fact that they had lost their daughter.
I shivered, as I let out quite a bit of a sigh at the same time too, as I shook off all of those thoughts all at once as well, as I then began to hear the man begin to speak up to me once again. I lifted my head back up, a little bit lost as to what it was that was going on right now for some odd reason or another, even though I was the one that was supposed to be leading all of this.
I blinked just a few times, as I looked at him in his eyes for just a few moments, as the man nodded to me, to make sure that I was listening. I did not hesitate at all this time, to let him know that I was in fact listening as to what it was that he had to say to me in the first place, as I then nodded right back over to Daniel at the exact same time too.
I breathed in heavily all at once how ever, as I was not all too sure as to what it was that was going on right now how ever, as I was going my best to try to stay strong, as I knew that I did not like to be out of my comfort zone at all, as it gave me a whole lot anxiety, as to all of the thoughts that I let roam free in my head at a time such as this one.
I kept my eyes on the man how ever, as I then did in fact begin to remember that he was trying to speak back to me in the first place, as I locked my eyes with the man, to let him know for sure that I was listening, as he the continued to speak to me, as I did in fact listen as to what it was that he had to say to me in the first place, too.
"Alright... If you think that she went that way, than let's go..." He said to me, as I blinked my eyes a few times once again, as if I had not heard a word as to what it was that he had said to me in the first place any ways, even though I knew damn well that I had heard every word that he had just said to me.
I was not all too sure as to what it was that was going on with me right now, as it was not like I did not want to hear what it was that he had to say, as I knew that a little girls life was on the line right now, and this was not some thing that you should be taking lightly right now, as I then shook my head, so that I could shake off all of the dark thoughts that were going on through my head.
Hell... I mean, we all knew at this point that the world had gone to shit, and it was not the same world that it had used to be. We were going to lose a lot of lives in the end, but the key was at this point in the world, to try to save as many lives as you possibly could, as I knew at this point, that every life mattered no matter if they were good or bad.
The world had brought at the worst in a lot of people for sure, but at the exact same time too, I also knew at the same time too, that it went both ways, as the good people that were actually good, and not just pretending to be good, it had brought out the best in them, though some times that was to the down fall of them, as they were far too innocent as they trusted every one, and not every one was good like them.
As I had come to find out with my time that I had spent out side of the walls in fact, was the fact that most people were not good at all in fact, and it was rare to find a good group of people, as the reason why they usually made it out in this world, was due to the fact that they had done some terrible and fucked up things.
I was sure that the man had to do some of those things, and there was some shit that he did not want to tell me about, due to the fact that he did not know me all too well, but from the general gage that I had got on the family so far, it seemed to be that they were genuinely good people, and they did not have a bad intent on me and Ben.
I shook off all of those thoughts how ever, at the exact same time as well, as I then all of the sudden began to hear a lot of foot steps in the room that I was in right now, in this cabin. I was a little bit lost at first, as I was not all too sure as to what it was that was going on in the first place at this very moment in time either.
I blinked a few times, as I then saw that Ben was walking with them, and he was following them out of the cabin. I was still a little bit worried, and I was about to stop the kid, but I held my self in at the exact same time too, as I felt like I might be being a little bit too overly cautious right now, and I just needed to stay strong, as I knew that we were trying to help find this families young daughter.
I then nodded to my self, as I saw all of them head out of the cabin, besides one of them, which was Daniel of course, which had me a little bit confused at the exact same time as well, as I saw that the man had his eyes squinted at me, as if I was doing some thing that was oddly suspicious to him right now, which I was not sure as to why.
Perhaps he was like me when ever I was out side, and was just a little bit over the edge, as he could not help but to think that the worst was going to happen every single time. I let out a bit of a soft sigh at the exact same time as well, as I did my best to shake off all of those thoughts, as I then nodded to the man, to let him know that I was following.
I suppose he did have quite a bit of a fair point at the exact same time too, as I was in fact the one that should be taking the lead at this very moment in time, as I was the one that was taking them down the trail of where it was that their daughter had gone off to, as I let out a bit of a soft sigh to my self all of the sudden, and I began to head over to where Daniel was at, at the front door.
I saw that he had his eyes squinted at me all the way down, but I did not let it bother me at all, as I was used to shit like that happening to me, as I just kept on going, ignoring as to what it was that he was doing at this very moment in time completely, as I joined up with all of the others that were out side, as it was clear that they too were waiting on me, which I did not blame them for at all either.
I blinked just a few times, as for some reason I was just a little bit lost, though I knew damn well as to what it was that was going on at this very moment in time, as I then nodded to all of them, and I then walked in front of them, taking the lead for them, as I continued on with trying to track the young girls foot prints that were in the dirt.
To my surprise, at the exact same time too, I noticed that the foot prints were a lot more recent, as the foot prints had to be no more than an hour ago, as it was clear that the girl must have spent a fair bit of some time in side of the cabin, perhaps trying to take a nap, or getting just a little bit of some rest, and some water and food, as I was sure that she had that on her.
If she did not, than there was no way that she could have made it this far, even if it was not hot out side, due to the time of year that we were in at this very moment in time. I blinked a few times, as I kept those thoughts on me all at the same time as well, as I got my focus back on the fact that I was following the girls foot prints down the dirt road that was connected to the cabin.
I stared down at it, as I made sure that the others were following me, which of course they were thankfully, as I let out a bit of a sigh of relief, and I then got my eyes back on the foot prints that I saw ahead of me. I breathed in a bit heavily to my self, and I looked ahead of me, to see as to where the foot prints led to in the first place.
I blinked a few times, as I then all of the sudden stopped my self, hearing the others all of the sudden stop at the exact same time as well, a bit lost as to why it was that I had stopped, though the answer to that was simple, as I was just trying to make sure that my theory on the fact as to where the girl was going was in fact true.
Of course, it seemed to be true, at least as far as I could see, as I saw that the foot prints led a fair bit in the distance down the dirt path that was still some how fully made of dirt, even with the years that the grass had to grow over to it, as it was clear to me that the dirt path led to some thing nearby, just like every road led to that was connected to a home.
It was clear to me at this point, that the girl was a fairly smart girl as well, as it was clear the she too realized that the road must lead to some sort of civilization nearby, as that was the reason that she was following the path in the first place, as she knew that every road led to a city, or at the very least a town.
I blinked a few times, as I let out quite a bit of a sigh at the exact same time too, as I felt a little bit more safe, as well as the fact that I had a bit of some stress taken off of me, now that I knew that I knew that the girl was at least a smart girl, though it was stupid for her to run off on her parents like that, as she did not know how to kill the dead I was quite sure of.
I was fairly certain that she did not have a weapon either, as I saw that not even the teenage boy had a gun on him at this very moment in time. The girl was all by her self, going in to a city, with out any sort of defense. That was a very dangerous thing to be doing, as I now started to feel a bit of a rush that we needed to find the girl soon.
I blinked just a few times, as I stared at the path that was ahead of me for just a little bit more time, knowing that I was wasting a fair amount of time just by staring at the road that was ahead of me. I just could not help but to be a little bit worried that I was too certain that was where the girl had gone.
I made a bit of a mental note to my self to make sure that I still was tracking the foot prints from the corner of my eyes, as I knew that we were getting closer and closer to the girl, and we had to catch her before she got in to the city. I nodded a bit to my self, as I then all of the sudden heard some one speak behind me, as I turned my head over to the person.
I then realized that it was the even younger girl, as I could tell that she had a look a clear fear on her face, as she looked right at her mother, as she began to speak to her at the exact same time as well. I blinked a few times, though I was not trying to spy on her, I did in fact listen as to what it was that the little girl had to say to her mother in the first place any ways.
"Mom... Is Linda going to be okay?" She said to her mother, as she said the name of her older sister at the same time too, as it did not take me all too long to under stand as to what it was that the little girl was getting at in the first place, as it was clear that she was worried about her older sister.
I blinked a few times, as I kind of could not help but to feel bad for the little girl at the same time too, as I was sure that she was very young, and she was very innocent. She did not have much as to a clue as to all that had been going on with her, which I was not all too sure if that might be a good thing, or if it were a bad thing, as it usually was a bad thing if you did not know what was going on with you in the world.
I breathed in heavily at the exact same time too, as I did my best to try to shake off all of those thoughts at the exact same time too, as I was not all too sure as to what it was that I should do right now, nor what it was that I should say in a response to what the little girl had said. I suppose that I should say nothing, as she had asked the question to her mother after all.
I let out a bit of a soft sigh to my self, as I was not all too sure as to what it was that was going on with me at this very moment in time, as I felt like it might just perhaps be the fact that I was used to having to be the one that explained things to people, in the best way that they would be able to understand, as I was sure I knew just what it was that I would say to the girl.
I suppose that it might be a bit of a bad idea at the exact same time too, as I was sure that the mother might know a lot better than I would, as to what it would be that would calm the little girl down, but at the exact same time, not lie to the girl at the same time either. I blinked a few times, as I shook off all of those thoughts, at I then looked away from the both of them at the exact same time too.
I turned my head back over to the dirt road that was ahead of me, as I saw that was where the foot prints led, a very long ways at the very least, as I then nodded to my self at the exact same time too, as I was nearly ready at this point, to begin to take the lead as to where it was that the little girl had even gone to in the first place.
I blinked a few times, as just before I then began to walk, I heard Anne begin to step up, and speak to her youngest daughter Janette at the exact same time too. I blinked my eyes a few times, as I was not all too sure as to what it was that I should do, as I really did not want to turn my head around to them. I let out a bit of a rough and soft sigh all at once, as I shook off all of those thoughts, and I then began to listen as to what it was that she had to say back to her daughter.
"Yes Janette... She will be fine... This nice man is going to take us to her, and we will find her, and it will all be okay." She said to her daughter, as I could tell just by her voice, that she was not all too sure that she believed in what it was that she had just said to her daughter in the first place, which I could not blame her for, as it sounded like absolute bull shit.
I also was not a nice man by any means, as I could tell just based off of the look on the face of Ben, that he kind of thought what it was that she had said on the fact that I was a nice man, was a little bit funny to Ben. Ben held in his laughter how ever, thankfully enough, as he knew that now was not the best time for him to be laughing at this very moment in time.
Ben blinked a few times, as I saw him keep his eyes on me, though I did my best to just ignore him, as I breathed in a bit heavily at the exact same time as well, as I knew that what the woman had said, had just been enough to calm her daughter down, which was all that you could really ask for, at a time as stressful as the time that we were in right now.
I let out a bit of a soft sigh, as I shook off all of those thoughts all at once, and I then began to keep on walking down the dirt path, doing my best to try to clear out all of the other thoughts that were going through my head at this very moment in time, as I was nearly tempted to close my eyes, but I knew that it was a bad idea, as I knew that I had to keep my eyes on the food prints that I saw in the dirt ahead of me.
I kept on going for a few moments, as I was a little bit worried that they were not going to follow me at first, but as a few more seconds seemed to pass, I then heard all of their foot steps from not too war behind me, as it calmed me down a bit, now that I knew that all of the others were not all too far behind me now.
I nodded a bit to my self, as I kept on going up the hill, as I kept my focus on the road at the same time too, though I made sure to see if the foot prints seemed to all of the sudden want to veer off in some other direction, though as we kept on going, that really did not seem to be the case at all luckily, which I was not all too sure if that was good or bad just yet.
I shook my head, as I shook off all of those thoughts all of the sudden, as we then reached the top of the hill that was ahead of us, as I stared down below the hill at the exact same time too, as I looked in complete disbelief all of the sudden, as to what it was that I saw right in front of me, as my jaw dropped.
There was a big city, as I knew just what city it was, which was not the place that I had been planning on going with Ben at all. I did my best to stay calm, as I then turned my head to all of them, to let them know what was going on right at this moment. I blinked my eyes, still a bit lost, but in the end I nodded to them and began to speak.
"She went in to town..."