Chapter 14: The News (Shannons PoV)

This time, I did not hesitate, as I opened the passenger side door, and I hopped in with the lady. I got in, and I looked around, as I was a bit scared to get in to some strangers car. It was the opposite of what I had been told not to do from my family, and my school.
I did not have a choice though, as I looked over at the crazy man that was trying to bite through the window, so that he could still get over to me and her in the car. I felt a bit sick, as I saw the blood of my mother, foaming from out of his mouth.
I wanted to throw up as well, but I knew that would be quite a bit disrespectful to do that in a strangers car. I stayed still for just a few seconds, as I heard the shift from the ladies car then move, as I turned my head over to see that she had a manual shift car.
I had been told of those, though when I had been getting my drivers permit in school about a year ago, I luckily did not have to use that, as it kind of scared me just to look at it. I turned my head away from that, and away from the crazy man, staring at us through the window as well.
I stared in front of me for a little bit more time, as after Lily had put the shift to start to drive, she then began to drive out of the parking lot that I had been in for a while. As we drove off, this time I did not look back on the crazy man.
He had killed my mother, and torn her apart in front of my face. I wanted to yell, and blame the man, but by the look on his face, he really did not even look like a man to me. I shook my head, as I kept my eyes on the road that was in front of us.
I looked at it for a bit of some time, as I turned my head to the down town area as well. I could not see anything going on down there, but for some reason I felt like it was going in to complete chaos right now, and I was scared for my father too.
I was worried that he was going to end up like my mother. It made me feel sick just to even think of it like that as well, but it was the truth. I closed my eyes, as I just listened to the sound of the car driving down, the otherwise busy road on a normal day.
It was not busy right now, which was the real surprise to me, as I just listened to the car drive by the city as the wind roared on the car. It was a bit of an older car as well, which made sense as to why it was a manual shift in the first place.
I was more just lost by the fact that there were no cars on the road. It felt a bit crazy to me, as I had seen in most movies, that when the world was coming to at end, all of the people that lived in the big city, were all trying to get out of there.
Maybe people were not all that worried about the virus, and they did not feel like it was the end of the world to them at all. It felt like the world had already ended for me however, as I shook my head to try my best to not think about my now deceased mother.
I looked turned my head over to the lady that was driving my car. She seemed to have her eyes on the road at the moment, though there were not all that many cars that she really needed to worry about at the moment, I still felt as if I should leave her alone.
Even after losing the person that I had ever cared to most about in my life, I some how managed to be handling it quite a bit well, especially knowing the case of how I had just seen her die. It made me think back on what some kid had said to me in school one day, when some one had told the whole class a sad story.
"That is the perks of being an atheist... You have no soul..." He had said to me. I had to admit, that right now, it sure felt like that he might be correct with what he had said to me. I shook my head once again, as this time the lady turned her head to me.
It seemed as if she had been paying attention to me from the corner of her eye this whole time. I looked away from her though, as I did my best to hide the emotions that were coming out of me at the same time too. It was just too hard to do so however.
No person could act like they were okay after what they had just seen in front of their eyes. It was worse for me, as the person that it had happened to, was my own mother. I closed my eyes as I tried my best to drown out all of those thoughts at the same time as well.
I sat there for just a couple more seconds as I tried my best to drown out all of the thoughts that were running through my head like a hurricane. It did not help me all that much, but luckily I heard the voice of Lily begin to speak to me, as it shook away those thoughts for the moment, I then listened to what it was that she had to say to me at the same time as well.
"I know you just lost your mother... I know it is going to hurt... That man in there saved a lot of peoples lives, including yours..." She said to me. I sat there for a few moments, as I knew that what she had said to me, was in fact correct.
I turned my head over to her, as I saw that she had quite the sad look on her face, and it almost looked like a couple of tears might drop from her eyes as well. I could tell that she was a strong woman, but I also felt that the man that she was talking about, might mean a lot more to her than what she had just said.
I was not sure what to say back to her, as I just kept my eyes down low to the dash board of the old car, as I kept my ears on the road that we were driving on. I let out a bit of a large sigh at the same time too, but Lily did not say a word about it.
At this point, I was about to give in, as I looked back up at her one last time. I saw that she still had her eyes on the road, but it almost looked like a couple of tears were going to drop from her eyes at any moment as well. I felt a bit bad for her.
I looked back on the road, as when I turned my eyes back on the down town area of the city, that was far behind us now, I did not see any of the tall towers that I was used to. I knew that we were no longer close to the main part of the city now.
I looked away from the back seat of the car, and the back window, as I looked back over at Lily, who was still yet to say a word to me once again. I felt a bit bad for her, as I also realized at the same time, her friend had gotten himself killed to save my own life, and I sure was not acting like it had been all that worth it.
I was about to look away once again, but I knew that I had to say something back to her. If I was going to be here with her, than maybe we could help one another feel a bit better about the death of a person that was very close to the both of us.
I stared back at her for a few more moments as I felt like I should say some thing, but at the same time, I also realized that I was making it a bit awkward, as I could tell that she was looking at me from the corner of her eye too.
I blinked a few times, as I was a bit lost at the moment, mainly because I was trying to think of anything besides my mother at this point. I then shook my head, as I then remembered all that had just happened. I then nodded to her, as she nodded back as well, but still made sure her eyes were on the road.
"I- I- I am sorry... I know you do not know me, but I am thankful for the man for saving my life." I said to her. She turned her head over to me this time, as I saw her squint her eyes at me. This time I did not budge, as I shook my head as I continued to speak to her. "I felt like I wanted to go with my mother, but I know that my father will need me through this."
She sat there for a few moments, as she did not say a word back to me. I could tell that she was in a lot of pain, and at this point I felt like her friend meant a lot more to her, than she might at first admit to. I looked over at her hand, but I did not see a ring on any of her fingers.
I looked away from her at the same time, as I did not want to show anything to her, that she might find a bit suspicious, or something that she might be wanting to hide. At this point I was just ready to get back home, and I felt like, once I was there, than I would never speak to this lady ever again, once we split our separate ways.
I blinked a few times, as I had my eyes on the road at the moment. I wish I was the one driving the car right now, as I had been so excited to get my drivers license finally. I then had 2nd thoughts of that at the same time, as I looked back over at the shift, as I remembered that it had been a manual shift.
I shook my head, as I did not want to even dare try do some thing that I did not no how to use. I had always been told by my parents to not do some thing unless I knew how to do it. I had to figure that they were indeed correct as well.
I closed my eyes, as at the same time, I did not want to think about my parents either, as my mom had been torn apart in front of my eyes, and after I got home and told my father of that, I had to figure that he would get into the same deep state of depression that my mother had told me he was in before they had met.
Now that she was gone, I was afraid that it was going to happen again. I sat there for a bit longer, as I felt like I wanted to cry, just thinking on all of it, but I heald my ground, and I stayed strong at the same time too. I just stayed silent, as I continued to listen to the wind vibrating against the torn up windows.
I looked at the road, as I then began to realize that where we were at, at the exact moment, was actually a fair bit familiar. I looked around through the window, as I turned my head back to the lady, and was about to say something to her, but she spoke up to me before I had the chance, I listened to what it was that she had to say to me as well.
"I forget that there is no TV in the DMV. I suppose that you do not know this, but I do not think you are going to see your father for a long time... Everything is shut down... It's all over the news..."