Chapter 20: Lets Go In (Shannons POV)

I looked around for a couple of seconds, as I tried to remember where I was at, and all that had been going on, through out this whole day. My mind was having a bit of a brain fart, at a time that I would most certainly not wanted to have one.
I had been down this road several times, and I had walked this way when I had gotten off of the bus. For some reason I just could not think at the exact moment. It all was flickering past me, all so fast, as I thought of all of the good, and bad memories that I had at this place.
Even the bad memories, at this point, I was just happy to remember those, as the time I had spent with my mother, had been amazing. I wish that I would have known that it was coming to an end soon, that way, I could of at least said a final goodbye to her.
No one had taken this virus seriously, as they typically did when a virus spread through the world, as I knew that it was not just in the US, but in several other countries as well. This was the one time that the virus had been real though, and it had been a global threat.
No one wanted to admit it, to be a global threat, as it had just shown up a few weeks ago, for the first couple of cases. I now knew that it was, as I had seen it with my own 2 eyes, as what the man had done to my mother. I felt like I could not even call him a man, as any normal human would not have done a thing such as that.
It was everywhere to, and it was no longer even scary to me any more, as I had seen it first hand, as to what it could do to a person. I closed my eyes for just a few seconds, as I knew that now was not the right time for me to be doing so.
I knew that Lilly was waiting for me, and I could tell that she was getting a bit upset, that I could not just give her a simple answer to a simple question that she had just asked of me. I went down this road every day, and I knew where my home was.
That was not the problem for me right now though, as I knew how to get there already, I just did not know what to say to her. I shook my head though, as I knew that I had to get my head in to the game. This certainly felt like a game right now too.
At this point, I had already realized that this was not a dream. This felt far to real for that to be true. Now, I knew that I needed to get a way out of here, and make sure that my father knew that I was safe, and where it was that I was at in the first place.
I looked over at Lilly, as I saw that she had her eyes squinted at me, and she did not have a very happy look on her face at the current moment, which I did not really blame her for it either. I blinked a few times, as I then came to my senses.
I looked up at the road that was ahead of us, as I saw that she had stopped the car at an intersection that I remembered walking through, every time the bus dropped me off, after a long day of school. I turned my head to the right, as I knew where to go next.
I felt like I should one up it, as well, to make up for the fact that I had already wasted a lot of the clearly precious time of Lilly's. I looked at the edges of the places, to check the numbers, and tell her the exact one that we needed to head over to.
I spotted the numbers 310, and I remembered that it was indeed the spot of our home. The problem was, there was 8 apartments that were connected to that. That did not matter though, as I knew that I could just show her the correct one, once we got out of the car, and headed over to it.
I let out a bit of a sigh, that I knew Lilly had heard as well, as I saw her roll her eyes at me, as if I was being a little bit over dramatic at the current moment. I did not let that bother me however, as I nodded to Lilly, and then I finally began to speak to her.
"You turn over to the right side, and then you go past the 200s and, park us right beside the spot that says 310." I said to her. She looked at me for a few seconds, as I saw a bit of a confused look on her face, as if I had just spoken a bunch of non sense.
I was not sure as to what that was for, as I had made it clear, and completely obvious, as to what it was that I had just said to her. Lilly turned her head over me, and then she began to look at all of the numbers on the edge of all of the buildings.
I blinked a few times, as I then saw her nod to me at the same time as well. I then watched as she moved her right hand on the the shift, and she began to slowly drive over to my place. I was a bit confused as to why she was so confused by all of this.
I had to figure that she must have not really lived in an apartment, which was a bit of a surprise to me, as I knew that she worked at a government office. She must have to drive a bit of a ways out, to go to and from work every single day.
I shook my head though, as I then put my thoughts on what it was that we were here for in the first place. I blinked a few times, as I had not realized just how fast time had gone by, by the fact that I had just been thinking, for what I had thought to have been a few seconds.
I felt like, I began to understand as to why Lilly was not all that happy with me, as I really did not blame her for it now. I must have really been wasting a whole lot of time, when I had been thinking all of this through while we had been on the edge of the highway.
I looked up at the sky, as I saw that luckily, I had not wasted too much time, as to the point where the sun was not quite setting. I saw the sun was a little bit below the mid point in the sky right now, from right behind me, as it was nearing the edge of the woods.
I looked away from it, as I then looked at the apartments that were ahead of me. I saw the exact one that I needed to be in right now, as to my surprise, and a bit of a shock to me as well, I saw that the door was wide open right now, which was not how my mother had left it when we had left a few hours ago.
I was a bit scared to go in now, as I knew that she had locked it to. I was not sure as to what it was that it could be, as I was now suddenly scared to go in to the place. Someone must have gotten in to it, as I knew at a time like this, a lot of people had been robbing a lot of houses, as I had heard on the news.
I stared at it for a couple more seconds, as my mind, and my body went blank, as just about every part of me froze up at the current moment, as I was not quite sure what it was that I should do. I stared at it for a few more seconds, as I heard a sigh come from Lilly.
I turned my head over to her, as it luckily got my mind out of the spot that it had been stuck in right now. I still was not sure what to do about all of that though, as I then heard Lilly begin to speak to me, and I looked right at her, with my eyes and ears on her, to make sure I heard what it was that she had to say to me.
"Are we going to head in to there, or what? We can't just sit in here all day... I know you lost your mother, but you can grieve plenty when we get to my safe place." She said to me. I looked at her for a couple of seconds, as I realized what she had said, had been correct.
Though, it was not my mother that I had my thoughts on at the current moment, as I looked back over at the open door way that was ahead of me, and I gulped just a little bit. I felt like it had to be someone trying to rob our place, as they must have known that my parents were fairly above the middle class.
I felt like, at the same time too, that it might be a bad idea, now, to go up to the door, and try to leave a note for my father. If someone was really robbing our home right now, and they saw that I was going to walk in to there, they might hurt me, or even kill me.
I had heard a lot of that, as of late, and I was not sure if I wanted to test that out right now. I stared at it for a couple of seconds, as we had been here for about a minute or so. No one had walked in and out of the place, so I was not sure as to what it could be.
I was not sure if I really wanted to find out what it could be either, as I let out another gulp, almost so big of a gulp, that I thought that Lilly might be able to hear it. I blinked a few times though, as I heard a loud sigh from Lilly, from just beside me.
I turned my head to her, as I saw her with her head down to the dash board at the moment, thinking to herself, as I had to presume. I looked at her for a little while, as it then hit me, as to what it was that she had said, and how I also had known that I had wasted a fair amount of time.
I just was not sure how to tell her, that it was a bad idea, and that we should just leave. Surely she would understand as to why, if she saw that the door had been left wide open. I shook my head though, as I knew that I had wasted enough time as it was, and I began to speak to Lilly.
"Th- th- the door is open... I think that some one is in there, or someone might be robbing the place!" I said to her. She looked at me for a couple of seconds, as I saw that there was a bit of a confused, and also a little bit of a shocked look on her face, as to what it was that I had said to her just now.
She blinked a few times, as I then saw her move her head a little over to my side of the car, as she looked over at what apartment that I was even talking about. She looked at it for just a couple of seconds, as she then turned her head back in to her normal spot.
She stared at the steering wheel for a few seconds as well, as I could tell that she was trying to think all of this through in her head. I could tell that she was a bit worried to, as I was sure that she had seen it all over the news, about all of the people that were robbing, and thieving house holds.
She said she had been watching all of this, quite a bit closely with her 'friend', so I was sure that she knew all about all of that stuff. She stared at the steering wheel for a bit more time though, as she then finally lifted her head up, to look at the complex that was right in front of her.
I was not sure as to what it was that she could be staring at, and I was not sure if now was the right time to speak to her either, as I could tell that she was a bit lost in her thoughts, and she did not look as though she wanted to be disturbed at all either.
I let out a bit of a soft sigh to myself, as I then looked back over at the open door way that was ahead of me. I still had yet to see a single person walk in or out of there, and I was beginning to think, that if some one had really in fact, tried to rob the place, than they might have already left.
There really was not anything of all that much value there, that I was worried about losing either, and if I wanted to keep one last thing of my mothers, I did not need to worry about that, as I already had a necklace that she had bought me a while ago, on me right now.
I shook my head, as I looked at it for a bit more time, and I was beginning to get less and less worried by all of it, as each second was to pass. The only thing that might take that long to steal, would be the really big TV that my parents had in the living room.
As I looked around at all of the cars that were around me, it did not look as if there would be one that would have room to even fit a TV as big as that one. I saw a truck far off in the distance, but I knew if someone was going to rob our place, there was no way that they would make it that obvious.
I shivered a bit still, but I did not feel all that scared any longer though. I turned my head over to Lilly, as she had been silent for a while. Just as I had turned my head over to her though, she began to speak to me. I listened to what it was that she had to say.
"Well... I have a gun, and a taser if that is the case, maybe you don't have a very steady door, and the wind could have just pushed it open..." She said to me. I looked at her with a bit of a blank look on my face. I saw her roll her eyes at me, as she looked away from me, and continued to speak to me. "If you want to warn your dad, and tell him where it is that we will be at... This is your only chance."
I stared at her for a bit longer, as if I had not paid attention to a single word that she had said to me just now. I was a bit in to my own world at the current moment. I still was trying to think all of this through, and I was still questioning myself, on if this was a good idea.
It then hit me, as to what it was that she had just said to me as well. I knew that there was no way that the wind could have pushed open a door as steady as that one, but that was not really what I had my thoughts on though, as I realized just what she had said to me.
If I was really worried about some one being in there, as far as I had seen so far, this woman was smart, and she was strong. I looked over at the taser, and the gun that was on her belt, as it made me feel just a little bit more safe. It felt a bit strange to think that way, as I knew that my parents were very heavy in to the anti gun stuff.
I sat there for a bit more time, as a lot of stress levels were on the prowl, in my brain at the current moment. I knew that now was not the time for it, and I felt, though I did not really believe in a higher power, that if I thought that it would be good, and dandy, just the thought of a good thing, would speak it into existence.
I blinked just a few times, as I looked back over at the open door way, one last time, and then, in the end, I made up my mind on it. I knew that I had to leave a note for my father, and I could not live with it, if I did not do so.
I knew, that odds are, he might not make it through the day, and if he did, he might not even have a way back to the home. But if there was even a sliver of a chance that he did, I knew that I could not live with myself, if I had not at least taken it.
If I did not leave a note, than that meant that it made sure that I did not have a way to ever see my father again, unless somehow this virus did not spin that out of hand, and I would get to see him not to long from now. I was not too sire if that were going to be the case however.
I shook my head though, as I knew that I had wasted far too much time, and I was not sure if it was still getting in the nerves of Lilly, or if she had gotten used to it at this point. I shook my head though, and then I looked over at Lilly, who I saw just staring at the open door way, with her eyes squinted.
I saw that she had one of her hands on her hip at the same time too, as if she was ready for the person to pop their head out, and she was going to pull out her gun, and shoot them on sight. I blinked a few times, as I shook off all of those thoughts, and then I began to speak up to her.
"Alright... Lets Go In..."