Chapter 28: Leading This (Bens POV)

I had not the faintest clue as to what it was that he had been getting at. Normally I would do as to what it was that I was told, but in this instance, I was questioning what it was that he had been getting at. I shook my head, as all of those thoughts went away, as I was slammed to the ground.
It was a bit of a hard fall, as I hit my head on some rough ground. Luckily we had not been in the concrete road how ever, or else it would have been a lot worse. I still felt a bit woozy, as I seemed to forget at times, just how strong my mentor, Christian, really was in fact.
Of course, to be fair he was a lot bigger than me as well, and I had not seen it coming at the same time too, even if he had been running at me. I blinked a few times, as my vision was a bit blurry and every thing that was all around me at the same time as well, seemed to be whirling all over the place.
After just a few moments of me getting back to normal, I blinked a few times at him, as and I then squinted my eyes at the same time too, as I had not a clue as to why he had just done that. He had me down for just a little while longer, so that I was not able to get up either.
I did not try to as well, as I felt that at times like this, when he did things like this, he was usually right, and I should just go through the process. I stood there for just a few moments, as it was dead silence, besides the fact that there were a bunch of the dead not too far away, as they were moaning to go after some raw flesh.
I also knew at the same time too, that Christian had been very loud when he had yelled at me, meaning that he had got the attention of a loud heard of the mob as well. I turned my head over to them, as I saw them turning their heads over to the both of us, as they were coming right towards us now.
I tried to move, but Christian had me held down too hard, as if he was doing this on purpose, and he wanted us to die. I did not want that to happen how ever, as I still had my brother at home, he needed me more than ever before, at a time like this as well.
That was when, all of the sudden, time seemed to slow down a bit, as I heard the gun shots that I had heard earlier, but this time they were much closer than they had been before. As many of the bullets seemed to whizz past us, at the exact same time too.
I closed my eyes, as I put my fingers up to my ears at the same time as well, as the shots were very loud, and some of the bullets were just a few feet away from us too. I was not sure if the people that were shooting, were shooting at us or not, but either way, it scared the day lights out of me none the less.
I kept my eyes closed for just a bit longer, as the bullets kept pelting past us at full speed. It seemed like they were never going to stop, as it also felt like the bullets were getting closer and closer to me by each passing moment as well. I was not sure if that was the fact that I was having a lot of anxiety, or if it were in fact completely true.
As I laid on the ground for a bit of some time, the bullet suddenly began to stop, almost at the exact same time as well. It was as if they had thought they had taken us down, which was not the case at all, but I was too afraid to look up and see who it was that might be shooting at us in the first place.
I knew that the dead were no longer going after us as well, as it was clear that the gun shots had once again got their attention to it. I just laid still, as it made sense as to why Christian had yelled at me now, as he had done it to save my life.
I was grateful for it as well, but my mind was not in any sort of space, to be saying thank you's to him. I felt like it had all gone to shit, and I felt like I just wanted to lay here for ever, and let the dead come and tear me apart. I shook off those thoughts though, as I knew that I had a brother that needed me at the moment.
I opened my eyes, and pulled my fingers out of my ears, to try to look and see what was going on, and maybe try to see as to who it was that had been shooting at us. Just as I did that how ever, I felt some one grab on to me, and pull me up, which I had to assume that it had been Christian.
He lifted me up to my feet, as he had his eyes on me at the same time too. I was scared, and I was not sure what to do. I kind of just wanted to lay on the ground, as I was trying to remember why we had come here in the first place. Was it to do with the fact that we wanted to see the reason that there was gun shots?
We should have just left with Chester and my brother while we had the chance. I felt like we would have had a lot better luck out there, rather than trying to stay in here, and figure things out. It was quite a bit clear to me, that things were not going all that well for us at all.
I knew that my brother was too young to be out there, and we had to be with him at all times. I was sure that we could work with it though, as I had been around his age when we had been out it this mess, and we still had not made it to the community that was still building its walls.
It all was going so fast, and I was not so sure how to handle all of it. First it was crazy for me to get this role that I had now, and it was crazy some of the things that had happened, as I was sure that it was not normal for a kid like me, who was being trained in this type of role, even if it was crazy out side of the walls.
Some people liked crazy, but I felt like this was not one of those instances where you could say that you liked all of this. I shivered, as I then shook my head at the same time too. I had been so lost in it, that I had not realized that Christian was talking. I blinked a few times, as I then listened as to what it was that he had to say to me.
"Come on kid! They are reloading! We have to get behind the house before they shoot again!" He said to me. I looked at him for a few moments, as I was still so lost on what it was that was even going on at the current moment. I knew at the same time as well, that I did not have time to be asking my self all of these questions, as there were in fact people shooting in our direction.
Whether or not it was that they were aiming at us, it was to be determined, but either way, I knew that I had to do as to what it was that Christian told me, as I knew that he knew best, and now was not the time for me to hesitate, or to think on things in my head, for that matter either.
I then began to run with Christian, as he turned his head away from me, and he began to run to the nearest house that was beside us. I was not nearly as fast as Christian was, but it did not matter luckily enough for me, as just as I had got to the corner of the house, it was when I heard the gun shots begin to spatter all over the place once again.
I let out a quick sigh of relief, as I fell to the ground at the same time too. It was hard for me to breath, as that was the fast that I had to run, much less accelerate on that level in my life. I shivered, as I imagined the fact that if I had been one second too slow, I could have had my head shot off.
I stood there for a bit of time, as I saw that Christian too was breathing in heavily, as I could tell that it put a little bit of a toll on him at the same time as well, as to the fact that we had just had to run that fast. I could not hear the breathing how ever, as the gun shots that were still whizzing near us, making me wince each time I heard one fly past, were too loud.
I stared there for a bit of some time, as I then began to realize at the same time too, that where ever the bullets were coming from, it was clear that they were not being aimed at us. I had to assume that it meant that the people that had attacked us, were not back to finish us off.
I was a bit lost as to what it was that could be going on still, as I stared ahead of me, as I shivered at the same time too. After a little while longer, I eventually turned my head back to Christian, as I nodded to him, and then I began to speak to him at the exact same time too.
"What is going on? Who are they shooting at? Who even is it?" I asked of him. Christian seemed to stare ahead of him self for the longest bit of some time, as if he had not heard a word of what it was that I had just said to him a few moments ago.
He seemed to be a bit lost in his head at the same time too, as it seemed to be a bit clear to me, that he was asking those same questions to him self at the same time as well. I closed my eyes for a bit of some time, as I kind of felt like I wanted to give up, as it all felt so hope less.
It had all gone to shit... It was not the first time it had happened like that though, and it was not the second time either. Nor would it be the last time it would happen to me, I had to assume, so long as I was still alive. Some times I felt like I did not want to be alive how ever, even though I knew those were dark thoughts, I could not help but to let them in.
I kept my eyes closed for a bit of some time, as I squeezed them at the same time as well, as I did my best to try to shake off those type of thoughts from my head. I let out a bit of a sigh at the same time too, as the bullets seemed to stop once again. I had to assume that they were going to shoot again soon though, just like last time.
I wondered how long it was going to last as well. I shook off those thoughts how ever, luckily enough for me, as I then heard the voice of Christian begin to step up and speak to me at the exact same time as well, as it hit me as to what I had just said, as I listened to what it was that he had to say to me at the same time too.
"I don't know what is going on... There is a lot of people we know, and Shannon seems to be leading this..."