Chapter 26

So its my first day at work, I am already tired I cant wait till knock off. Working at a hospital is much more stressful than clinics, the amount of work here is 2x the rate of the clinic because there is a shortage of doctors. This then leads to us nurses doing the doctors job. I have assisted in 3 childbirths since the morning. My feet are burning. I haven't eaten yet and I have been called to assist in another ward the postnatal ward. I love what I do but damn. I take a few files and the doctor starts telling me which patients I should check on. I walk to the ward and I check my assigned patients. The mothers are happy to see their babies, it's the fulfilling part of the job.

I see Lwandle next to some woman. What a coincidence and she is my patient. I greet them. He is holding a baby boy in his hands he looks so happy. He looks up at me and he is shocked to see me here. I smile at him he smiles back at me. "Hi Sanele I would never have guessed that I will see you again. How are you?" He asks. "I am well and your self?" I ask. The lady is looking at us waiting for an introduction. "Oh Xoli this is that lady who helped us that day. Sanele Sangweni. Mrs Sangweni this is my wife Xolile" He says and she smiles shyly. "Nice to meet you, are you related?" She asks. We both laugh. "No not really, or not that we know of." I say. "You look like our daughter." She says. "I know I was also surprised to see her, I even thought maybe she is my daughter but I never had a daughter, so it didn't make sense." I say and we laugh, an old lady joins and I continue checking the vitals and move to other people.

I am done doing rounds maybe I can get lunch now. I walk to the cafeteria the food is not great its my first day here and I know hospital cafeterias don't have the best food, plus I have had this hospitals food and I did not like it not one bit. I bump into this old lady oh it's the one who was standing with Lwandle and wife. "I am so sorry ma I didn't mean to." I say she is staring me in shock. She is looking at me from head to toe. "I am so sorry, ma." I apologise to her. She says nothing she walks away like she just saw a ghost. That was weird. I proceed to eating my lunch, the doctor who was called for me to assist in the postnatal ward sits with me. I am not comfortable with this man. "Nurse Sangweni, you are beautiful wow." He says complementing me. "Thank you." I reply.

"Is that ring on your finger real? Like are you married?" He asks. "Yes I am married." I answer. "Mhh does he know how lucky he is to have someone like you." He says again. Its only my first day here, and there is a creepy doctor following me around its going to be a long year. "He knows." I say. I would rather be working than this. "Mhhh okay. In case you decide he is not worth it you can always come to me and oh I am the doctor that drives a Porsche Cayenne." He says. Lol he thinks his car will make me interested in him. "No thank you." I say and I walk away. Men and flashing their money in order to attract women is disgusting mxm.

A lady stops me. "Sorry Nurse, can I ask you a question?" She asks. "Yeah no problem ma." I look at her. "Are you by chance Nompilo Ndaba/Zulus' daughter or relative?" She asks. That's weird I hate the fact that I look like my mom because people always stop me to say something about my mom and I know nothing about her. They sometimes tell what a good person she was and I know nothing the person they are talking about, she took her own life before I can even know her. So I sometimes hate it when they stop me because a part of me rejects her for taking her own life. "I am her daughter." I say and fake smile. She gasps. "Oh my God." I look at her, get over her shock. "Your mom was a wonderful lady. My sister and your mother were friends." she says smiling widely. "So I hear." I say.

I don't have the energy to entertain this. "I am sorry ma but I have to rush to work, it was great seeing you." I say and I walk away. "Wait, I think you and may have to talk here is my number." She says writing down something and handing me the number. I take the card and I go back to work. Why did this lady give me her number. Why would I want to talk about my mother with a stranger? Something tells me to keep the number, you never know when you will need a certain person. I go back to work and things are still hectic.

***

Fisokuhle is supposed to be picking me up. I am waiting for him I need to convince him to let me drive again the accident happened five years ago, and I wasn't working then. Its raining today so I am not doing the whole taxi thing because it will drop me off far from our house, and I am not walking in the rain. This thing of him picking me up everyday wont work, its not sustainable. "Haibo Fisokuhle Sangweni, I am not going to wait for you for over 2 hours, I am tired I told you to let me drive." I say. "MaZulu, I am in a meeting take a taxi or uber." He says. Mxm he knows very well that we are in rural areas there are no ubers, mxm he is upsetting me I hang up taxi it is I guess. "You look stressed." The man behind me says and I recognize the voice its Lwandle.

"You have no idea I have to walk to the taxi and take a taxi because my husband is stuck in a meeting in this rain." I say. Looking at him he is with a teenage boy the boy is probably 15 years, he looks like Lwandle. They are with Philasande, I am used to seeing her she is the same class as the twins. "You can join us we will drop you off at your house, because you helped us before, let me pick up my wife then you will join us, and I am not taking no for an answer. " He says. Okay well one problem solved. I wait for 15 minutes and they come out and we get in the car.

The car ride is quiet the teenager is busy on his phone, he is smiling to himself with whoever he is chatting to. "Mrs Sangweni, Siko and Luhle are no longer in the same class, Siko is in my class and Luhle is now in another class because they distract the class when they are together." Phila says. Oh wow its only been a week and the twins are already getting in trouble. "I will deal with them." I say. She is a little snitch. I start chatting to the little lady, she is smart I must say. We are closer to my house now, so I start directing which direction they should towards. We finally get to my house, and the rain is now stronger with lightning and Thunder. "Thank you so much for the lift, I appreciate it." I say as I get out they drive away.

To be honest with you I hate the way my house looks it's a cape dutch design house, it just represents the past. It smells oppression, its just that at the moment we are still budgeting to build our dream house so I have to tolerate this house for a year or two. I walk in the house and they run to me with excitement. Fisokuhle is not home yet but the lady who their nanny is here. We hired her last week because we cant always pick them up from school so she picks them up when we will be late or when we are both working. "Sane I have to go or my boyfriend will think I am cheating." She says. "But its raining heavily today wait it out." I say. "No ways I am going home see you tomorrow." She leaves.

The twins start telling me the reason they were kicked out of class. I need to take a shower so I can cook. There is a car in the yard Fisokuhle must be back. I open the door to my surprise its Lwandle and family. "Lwandle come in." They walk in. "I thought you would be home by now." I say. "Yeah well the river is filled with water meaning the bridge is invincible." He says and I know exactly what he means. I don't know what the people who built the bridge were thinking when they built this bridge. This bridge is too low and close to the river so when its raining hard it makes it hard to pass and there is no other way to pass other than the bridge.

They walk in and I offer drinks. I haven't changed my uniform and I am in desperate need for a shower. "Let me go shower I will be back make yourselves home." I say. I shower quickly and I am done in 15 minutes. I get out and they are sitting uncomfortably watching the TV. The twins and Phila have taken over the TV I assume. "You have a beautiful home." Xoli says looking around. "Thank you." I say. "Are you okay how are you feeling?" I ask her, she must be tired. "I am a bit sleepy. " She says. Fisokuhle walks in and he looks shocked to see many people in the house.

He greets and comes to me and kisses me, then the twins run to him hoping he has something for them. He hands them the packets of Doritos and he instructs them to share with Phila. "Can I talk to you." He says. I follow him as he leads me to our bedroom. "MaZulu you wont believe this. I sent Misokuhle to follow up on the guy and find out what his relation to you maybe and I think Lwandle is your twin brother." Fisokuhle says and that doesn't make sense. "What do you mean?" I ask. "He was born in the same hospital as you, he was born on the same day and the time difference between you two is different by 10 minutes he is older, than you." He says. Wait what? Okay wow this is confusing.