25. DARK PAST (2)

A/N: THIS IS A CONTINUATION OF THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER.

The first thing my mind registered was the vague sound of a heartbeat monitor in the background and a few muffled voices

I did not know where I was or what had happened, my brain still felt unconscious but I knew that I was awake.

Awake and trapped somewhere. But where? Maybe in my own head.

I tried to pry my eyes open but they had a will of their own. The simple act of opening my eyes felt like an extreme sport at the very moment.

What is happening?

I could not feel my body, I wanted to move my hands, open my eyes, and call out to someone. Was I in heaven? Did I die?

And as if on cue, my brain fully registered my thought process and the first thing that came out of my mouth was a whisper of my own voice, a voice that I no longer recognized.

"Adrian." I whispered.

Silence.

Everything fell quiet around me for a solid minute before I tried to swallow but my throat was so dry that I ended up choking and my eyes finally snapped open because of the shooting pain that shot up my body making me regret opening my mouth.

Momentarily blinded by the shining, white lights, I closed my eyes for a second before blinking rapidly to adjust my eyesight to the massive amount of brightness in the room.

I groaned lowly and laid back down on the soft mattress beneath me. Why was everything so much?

Was I in an accident?

Before I could ponder over the situation any further, I felt a calloused hand rubbing my knuckles and I looked down to see a man's hand placed above mine gently. I looked up and came face to face with a familiar face.

I gasped in surprise as his grey eyes stared back at me with an unfathomable expression etched on his face.

"Zio?" I croaked out.

He shook his head as if telling me to not speak and grabbed a glass of water from a table beside me before bringing it to my lips. He helped me up a bit and I drank it all in one go before resting my head back on the pillow.

I opened my mouth to question him but the pained and torn expressions on his face shut me up. The door opened and my head turned in that direction to see Zia Caterina standing there with a stunned look.

"What's going on?" I managed to finally ask the question that has been eating me up ever since I woke up.

My body hurt so much and the headache was only worsening my condition. Why was I in the hospital?