32. SOMETHING'S UP

"We need to talk, Ian

"We need to talk, Ian." Mom spoke entering my office without knocking or even informing me beforehand that she was coming to my office.

Not that she needed to knock, she is my mother but still.

"What are you doing here, mom?" I asked bringing my attention back to the laptop screen in front of me.

I have not been much focused on work for the past five days because we were busy tracing the location and calling up our allies to explain the situation at hand as well as devise a bulletproof plan. We had recently helped the Mexican capo with an enemy hence why they could not turn down our demands for backup. We were successful in tracing the location and were planning to pay them a visit the day after tomorrow.

"IAN!" Mom shouted snapping me out of my reverie.

"Yes?" I asked clearing my throat before sending the email to Tomasso and shutting the lid of the laptop to give the woman sitting in front of me, my full attention.

Up close, she looked so fuckin' tired as if she has aged forty years in the past five days. The usual glow on her face was layered beneath her puffy eyes and huge eye bags.

I knew she was worried about Cara, so was I, and maybe this is why I was avoiding my family as much as I could. I did not want them to be any more upset than they already were. Bella kept asking about Cara over and over while Christian, who never shut up, barely talked until he wanted to know the progress on the plan. And dad, well, dad was trying to hold on but with each passing day, his demeanor crumbled.

"I was saying that we need to talk." She repeated.

"About what?" I inquired resting my intertwined hands on the glass table.

"About you being distant." She spoke quietly.

I sighed and got up from my seat before rounding the desk and going to sit next to her, "Mom, I am not being distant. I have just been busy. Don't you want to bring Cara back home safely?"

She nodded and sighed before taking my hands in her, "I do, Adrian, I do. She's pregnant and I don't even wanna imagine what they must be doing to her." She stated her concern.

My jaw clenched at that thought. I have had that same thought multiple times but I always pushed it at the back of my head because something inside of me told me that Sia wouldn't let anything happen to them. I know it sounds weird but my gut was never wrong.

"I understand, but I need you to be strong for our sake, yeah? We're getting all of them back home soon." I reassured her while squeezing her hands.

She swallowed quietly and nodded once again before finally looking up at me, "You did not tell me."

"What?" I frowned.

"About Sylvia." She shrugged her right shoulder.

"What about her, mom?" I asked, genuinely confused as to what she was getting at.