Seven

I wake up with a slight start. I felt...groggy? It's been a while since I've felt this awful waking up. I walk to my window and look outside. No! The sun is in the middle of the sky! It's noon!

I rush to change, settling on a maroon dress, and head downstairs, tripping and saving myself repeatedly.

"Why did no one bother to wake me hours ago?!" I shout when I reach the living area. Angelica, Jeremiah, Margarita, and Cornelia were sitting, reading. "Father and mother told us all not to." Jeremiah said simply. What?

"They did? Where are they?" I asked. "Mother is with friends in town, father is in his study." Margarita said, briefly taking a break from her book. I thanked her and rushed back upstairs.

I knocked twice. "Father?" I say quietly. "Come in." I hear. I open the door and walk in a few steps. "May I ask a question?" I ask. He nods. "You are independent, Y/N. It's time you stop asking permission for such small things." He said wisely.

I nod to myself. He, again, had his back to me. "Well, I was wondering why you didn't let the children wake me before." I said in question. I was genuinely and seriously confused.

He chuckled and smoothed back his greying hair. "You had fitful sleep. I decided to let you get more sleep." He answered a bit quiet.

"Well then, thank you." I said, dipping my head. Then, I faltered. He was leaving tomorrow. Oh no.

Father was going away in mere hours! My heart dropped at the fearful feeling collecting in my gut. What if my nightmare came true? What if I never see my father again once he leaves this manor? I inhaled sharply.

"Y/N? Are you alright?"

I blink. Father is staring at me. "O-Oh, yes. Sorry." I said. He gave me a concerned look. "Shilling for your thoughts?" He asked. I chuckled gently.

"I just realized you will leave tomorrow. The reality startled me, that's all." I said. He clocked his tongue and drew me into a hug. I ignored my manners and hugged back, strongly.

I tried to hold back tears, but I just couldn't. I cried onto my father's arms, staining his pale grey vest. I clutched him tight and buried my face into his embrace.

"It's alright Y/N/N (Your NickName), it's alright." He said softly. I cried more at the use of my nickname, which he hadn't used in years.  "Why do you have to go?" I whispered. He planted a small kiss on my hair. "I want you to live in a free, safe country. And my future grandchildren." He said, making me blush at the thought.

We let go and he wiped my tears with his thumbs. I inhaled and exhaled deeply. "I'll let you work." I said, stepping back. He brushed a stay strand of hair from my red face. I smiled into the touch before leaving.

I jogged to the powder room and splashed my face with water, giving me a youthful, energetic look again. I went downstairs to went to the door. "I'll be getting our letters!" I said. "Don't, I already did." Elizabeth said from someone near the kitchen.

I walked to the dining table. "I have another letter from Alexander." She said joyfully, walking over. He writes to her every day! I scanned the names on the fanned out letters. Mostly mother and father. One for me? I grabbed it. The seal was pale blue wax with the indent of a feather. Peculiar.

I opened it, Elizabeth peering over my shoulder on curiosity.

Dearest Y/F/N Schuyler,
We have studied your schooling and life very closely these past years, with your father's permission, and have decided on a very fortunate proposition for you.

Who were these people? Why were they studying me?

We would like you to join us at Princeton, using private classes at your home. We would supply the following;
Quills
Ink
Parchment
Governesses
Please consider our request carefully. We must have a response within the week.
Sincerely,
Princeton Headmaster Hugh Henry Brackenridge

I looked at Elizabeth in disbelief. I haven't heard of a woman going to college yet! At least, not one as prestigious as Princeton! And to be requested!

"Father!" I shouted eagerly. I heard the study doors open and shut as my father ran downstairs. "What's wrong?!" My father asked. I handed him the letter.

I watched his eyes scan the words, emotionlessness was his chosen expression.

He finally looked at me. "Congratulations." He said. My jaw dropped at his blunt words. "Aren't you at all surprised?" I asked. He handed the letter back. "Not in the slightest. I always knew my daughters were destined for great things." He said.

Elizabeth squealed and grabbed quills, ink, parchment, wax, envelope, and our family seal. "Write them back!" She urged. I nodded and got to writing while she told the family.

Dear Princeton Headmaster Hugh Henry Brackenridge,
I have just received your letter. After consideration, it would be my greatest honor to attend Princeton. I am so joyful you chose me. I would like to know what day I start.
Many thanks and sincerity,
Y/F/N Schuyler

My siblings rushed over as I sealed the envelope. "Congratulations Y/N!!" They all said happily. I kissed the seal for luck before shouting, "Let's mail a letter!"