Twenty-Two

I woke up in mid air. Only for a second, because then I hit the floor. "Ouch! God have mercy!" I hissed and I stood. I had fallen off my bed! I brushed the hair from my face as my door burst open.

"Y/N! Father's home!" John shouted. WHAT?! "I'll be down in three minutes!" I said as he shut the door. I bolted for my closet. I can't believe father is home early! I dressed in my favorite red gown and plaited my hair down my back. I swung my door open and looked over the edge of the stairs.

Father was talking to mother, Alexander talking to a bubbly Elizabeth. General Washington was chatting with my brothers. I bolted down and father turned to me. I ran into his arms and buried my face in my chest. "You're home." I whispered.

His chest rumbled as he chuckled, wrapping his arms around me. "I'm home sweetheart, I'm home." I left go and looked up at him. He had a few scars, all small, and his eyes seem weary. He kissed my forehead before turning back to his conversation with mother.

I turned to Elizabeth and walked over. "Alexander, congratulations." I said with the inclination of my head. He smiled nervously. "I still kinda have to ask." He admitted. Oh no he did not! Elizabeth grabbed my arm before I could do damage. He got her hopes up! How dare he!

"Y/N, it's okay." She whispered. I stepped back and adjusted my skirts. "Mr.Schuyler, can I have a word?" Alexander asked. Father faced him and nodded. They walked into the kitchen, out of hearing range. We could still see them from the living area though.

Angelica, Elizabeth, Margarita, and myself watched anxiously on the sofa. "This is stressing me out." I muttered, earning a wry laugh from Margarita. Alexander was talking to father, getting ready to drop the question.

Elizabeth grabbed Angelica's hand and squeezed. "What if father says no, like he did for Y/N and C/N?" She asked. "He won't." I reassured her. We watched Alexander take a deep breath and say something that made father smile brightly. Father nodded and Alexander turned to us, a huge smile on his handsome face.

Elizabeth stood and the ran for each other, everyone quieting and watching. Alexander shuffled in his pocket as he knelt on a single name. Tears welled in my sister's eyes. "Elizabeth Schuyler, ever since I met you that one winter night-" "What?!" Father scolded. We all looked away. "Go on Alexander." Margarita said quickly. Alexander laughed.

"Ever since I met you, you have been the one thing I have been thinking of. I dreamt about this day. I believe that, despite my upbringing, we will succeed together and be very happy. Will you make me eternal happy and marry me?"

Elizabeth nodded her head enthusiastically. "Yes! Yes yes yes!!" She squealed. Alexander slid a beautiful golden band around her finger and stood. He connected their lips and I glanced to Angelica. She was smiling, though her eyes appears sad. She has strong feelings for Alexander, but she loves her sister more.

We all cheered and clapped. We all rushed to them and I hugged Alexander. "Atta boy." I whispered in his ear. He gave me a charming smile before Angelica hugged him. I turned to Elizabeth and kissed her cheek before examining her ring. It was real gold! I separated from the group. "Any out going mail?" I asked. Everyone shook their heads. Only my letter to C/N. Okay.

I walked to the door and grabbed my letter. I opened the door and froze. C/N had a hand raised to knock. "Oh, hi." I said, squeezing past him and shutting the door. "Hey." He said awkwardly.

"Elizabeth just got engaged to Alexander." I said with a smile. He chuckled and nodded. He doesn't know that he can propose now. "I'm sorry for running off last night." He said shamefully, hanging his head. I sighed and set the letter aside, taking his hands in mine.

"It isn't your fault. I probably would've done the same, not going to lie." I said with a slight laugh. He smiled a bit. "But let me explain." I said quickly. He nodded and we sat on my front steps.

"So I heard about the victory my father lead, so I decided to be daring and try alcohol to celebrate. I sat down and someone bought me a whiskey. John Parke Custis, George Washington's adoptive son." His eyes widened at adoptive. "Yeah, I know." I said with a smile. "Anyways, we started talking. I had a bit too many whiskies, we both did. We just laughed and talked, but we didn't do anything. His hand fell on my shoulder for stability and you walked in." I said, completely embarrassed.

"I sobered up instantly and ran after you. You know what happened after that, but then I got home." I said. I put my hands over my face. "Angelica immediately smelt the alcohol and she cleaned me up. I told her what happened and I'm going to tell you what I told her." He gave me a worried look.

"I completely understand if you want to cut it off with me. You have every right to and I-" He cut me off by bringing his lips to mine. He caught me by surprise, so it took a bit before I started kissing back. He removed his lips and smiled at me. "Does that me we are still together?" I asked, making him laugh. "Yes! Yes it does!" He said. He helped me up and we walked back to the door.

He opened it for me and we walked in. Angelica was the first to look at us. She grinned and gave me a slight thumbs up. I laughed a bit as the door shut behind C/N. "C/N!!" The boys shouted, running over. "C/N!! Elizabeth and Alexander are engaged!!" Jeremiah said. I laughed and stepped aside, knowing I lost my beau to my brothers.