Fourteen

I was yanked into an alleyway. I almost screamed before a hand covered my mouth.

I looked up and sagged in relief. C/N was holding me, looking around. I removed his hand from my mouth and his C/E/C eyes met mine.

"I kinda got the sense that someone there was bothering you." He admitted shyly. He seemed to doubt his acute senses. "And his name rhymes with Salamander Camelton?" He asked. I laughed and nodded.

"I didn't want him to walk me home because I could tell Elizabeth wanted to spend time with her beau, yet he pushed." I explained. His face filled with anger. "Easy tiger." I joked.

He smiled gently and linked our arms. "May I walked you home? It's alright if you say no." He said, emphasizing the fact that it was my choice. Such a gentleman.

I smiled. "I decided I don't want to walk alone. Please accompany me." I said in a joyous tone. He kissed my temple and we left the alley
arm-in-arm.

We laughed and joked and talked all the way back home. Once we reached the mansion, I faced C/N. He planted a light and quick kiss on my lips.

When our lips separated, he said, "Till we meet again." I smiled again. "Till we meet again." I said before walking up my steps. I quickly went inside to complete chaos.

Rensselaer was screaming while being dragged upstairs by his brothers and two maids were trying to coax Cornelia and Catharine out from behind the couches. Where on earth was our mother?! "Hey!" I shouted. Everyone froze and faced me.

"Rensselaer, John, Philip Jeremiah, get over here now." I snapped. My brothers scrambled to my left, lining up by age, and straightened out their clothes. I faced the living area. "Stay here." I commanded the boys before rushing.

"Cornelia, come here." I snapped. Cornelia lifted her arms and I removed her from behind the couch. When I set her down, she ran to her brothers. "Catharine." I said sternly. She did the same as Cornelia and I lifted her. She rushed to her siblings.

"I apologize, take the day off." I said to the maids. They rushed away and I faced my siblings, who were fidgeting in anxiety.

I stomped over to them and faced all five of them. I crossed my arms. "John, where is mother?" I asked. He swallowed. "The store." He said obediently.

I faced Rensselaer. "Why were your brothers dragging you?" I asked. He glared at John and Jeremiah, facing me when I snapped my fingers. "Oh, erm, I have yet to clean my bedroom. They were forcing me." He said in shame. I faced the older boys.

"Let him get in trouble." They nodded and I faced Rensselaer again. "Clean your room." He nodded. I faced Cornelia and Catharine.

"Why were you behind the couches?" I asked. They hung their heads. "The maids wanted to make us take baths." Cornelia said in her squeaky child voice. I pinched the bridge of my nose.

"Ren, go clean your room." I said, dismissing my brother. He immediately bolted up the stairs and into his room. "Jeremiah, draw the bath in the master for your sisters." I said. He ran to the master powder room.

"John, make sure Ren cleans his room." I said. He nodded and followed Rensselaer up stairs. I faced my two youngest sisters. "You have to listen to the maids next time. Everyone is dealing with father leaving. Please try and help out." I begged. They nodded.

I sighed and brushed some annoying stray hairs from my face. "Bath is ready!" I heard. My sisters paled and I grabbed their hands. I walked them to the powder room.

                                        * *

Once the girls were washed and my eldest sisters returned home, it was already sunset and mother had yet to come home.

"She's been away for hours!" Jeremiah complained. I chose for him and Elizabeth to make dinner, since I was playing the mother figure for the time being. "She'll be back soon." Margarita said.

As if summoned, mother burst into the room, arms full of paper bags from the store. Finally! John and I ran over to help her. "So sorry I'm late." She said, letting John and I take the bulk of her shopping items.

"I decided to buy food for our servants as well, for Christmas." She explained. We all groaned. She always bought Christmas food too early and it was eaten before Christmas Day. "Anyways." She snapped. We all looked away. "Y/N, how was everyone while I was away?" She asked sweetly. I had traumatic flashbacks.

"The water is too cold!!!" Cornelia screamed, only wearing her underclothes. "It's too hot!!!" Catharine screamed at the same time. It was the same water bin!!! "Y/N!!!!!!" John shouted. I groaned and left my sisters to run to my brother.

"What?!" I snapped. He pointed to Rensselaer's room, which was a huge mess. "He won't clean." He complained. Indeed. Rensselaer was sitting on his bed.

"Rensselaer Schuyler!! Clean your damned room before I make you clean 'Nelia and Caty!!" I snapped. He yelped and immediately got to work. I heard a splash and ran back to the powder room.

Cornelia was crying with Catharine splashed her. "Catharine!! Stop it!!" I shouted. She started crying as well. Oh my god. I am going to die today.

I smiled to my mother as I said, "Everyone was just wonderful."