Seventeen

I giggled as C/N lead me through the slight crowd, my hand in his. People shouted at us but we just laughed and ran faster. Where was he taking me? "Mademoiselle Y/N?" I heard. I turned my head back. I had barely a chance to wave to Monsieur Lafayette before we were gone.

I faced forward again and ran into C/N's back. I reared back and looked up at him. He was smiling at me like the goof he is. "We have arrived!" He said. I cheered and looked past him. I was awestruck.

He lead me to the beach. Since it was just after sunrise, the sky was a pale pinkish-bluish. The waves crashed gently against the shore line, which was roughly ten feet away. The early birds chirped and cawed as they flew overhead. It was a beautiful scene!

I faced C/N again. "It's beautiful!" I said. He wrapped an arm around me. "It's a true pity." He said. I looked up at him, confused. "How do you mean?" I asked. He gave a faint smirk. "It's a pity that this scene is only half as pretty as you."

My heart melted! He is such a flirt. I hugged him, burying my face into his chest. "You're making me blush!" I said quietly. His chest rumbled as he laughed.

I let go and kissed his lips before gathering my rosy skirts and running to the water. I heard him laugh again and follow me. I reached the water, drenching my shoes, and spun. The water flicked me and C/N in the face and he spun with me.

This was such improper conduct for public, but I didn't care! After half an hour of running and laughing, I dragged C/N onto the sand and we sat on some rocks. I laid my head on C/N's shoulder and couldn't help but smile.

"That...That was fun." He said. His heart was racing and I bet mine was as well. "Very fun." I added. I raised my head and stood. "Care to get the letters with me?" I asked. He stood with me and we linked our arms. I straightened out my hair and his as well before walking.

People gave us bemused or judgmental looks as we passed. We ignored them and confidently walked into the post office. It was nearly empty, so we walked up to the counter.

"Letters for Schuyler?" I asked. The man went to the back for a few moments before coming back with a fairly large stack of letters. I grabbed them carefully and tucked them under my open arm. "Letters for C/L/N." C/N said. The man went to the back once again, coming back with a smaller stack.

We thanked him and left again. I shuffled through our letters to see who they were addressed to. None for Catharine or Cornelia, one for Rensselaer, two for John, three for Jeremiah, five for Angelica, two for Elizabeth, four for Margarita, one for me, and ten for mother.

"That is a ton of letters." C/N observed. "Really? I hadn't noticed." I said sarcastically, earning a nudge. "You know what I meant!" He snapped playfully. I laughed and nodded.

We chatted until we reached my house. People were leaving so I assume the party was done. I faced C/N and kissed him quickly. "See you later." I said as I walked up the steps. We waved before I entered the mansion.

It was too quiet. Not a single sound. No footsteps, whispers, or even breathing. I slowly walked to the table and splayed the letters out, grabbing mine. "I'm home!" I shouted before going to the living area and sitting.

I opened my letter and read silently to myself.

Dearest Y/N
But what is rude about meeting with the sister of my beau? I only admitted truth when I spoke of your beauty. I don't understand why you shy away from the attention that you well deserve. You are like a wingless angel from the heavens. Please reconsider, I would truly like to meet up with you.
Yours,
A. Hamilton

No!! This is not what I wanted to happen!! I had to fix this. I ran to find my supplies and wrote down the following letter;

Dear Alexander,
I apologize, but I will not meet up with you. I currently have a beau of my own. I'm sure we will get properly introduced when you visit, if you ever do. I thank you for your compliments, but you can't continue them. Please,
Y/F/I Schuyler.

P.S. by wingless angle, you mean a normal human being?

I snickered quietly and put my letter in an envelope. I sealed it with red wax and our family seal. I just then remembered my dress was wet and I was a mess. Mother would end me! I rushed upstairs, only to be stopped by my bedroom door being locked?

I tried the knob. No luck! What the heck? "Hello." I jumped and spun around. Mother was standing there, brass key in hand. My key in hand.

"Hello mother." I said, keeping my calm as I walked over. She tucked the key in a hidden pocket in her skirts. "So, how was your time with C/N?" She asked. Why did she have to do this?! "It's was fine." I managed out.

She looked me over, her gaze snatching on the bottom of my skirts. "Why are your skirts wet?" She asked with the click of her tongue. I chuckled nervously. "Well, C/N took me to the beach, then I dragged him into the water and we had a bit of fun." I explained.

She crossed her arms. "I was going to change when I got into my room!" I said. She dug into her skirts and handed me the key. I thanked her generously before bolting to my room. I unlocked my door and ran in. I chucked the key into a nearly empty drawer; the only other things inside were a hand mirror, parchment, a quill and ink, and a hair comb.

I rushed to my closet and shuffled through my dresses. I had to do laundry soon. I grabbed a maroon dress with a black lace design and slipped it on. I redid my hair into slight curls before leaving the room again.

"I'm doing laundry!" I shouted before rushing to my dirty dresses. Someone rushed in and dark hands took the pile from me. I looked to my right to find Alana, a personal slave father hired for me, though I never put her to use because I always feel awful, was standing there. She was only five years older than I was.

"Alana." I said sternly. She shook her head. "Nuh uh, I will wash these." She said, her accent thick. She was the only slave to talk back to me and I adored it. "Please Alana." I begged. She shook her head and yanked the basket from my hands. "You haven't put me to work for the four years I have worked for you. I have had to do secret things!" She said.

"What?! Secret?!" I snapped. She smirked and left my room, shutting the door after her. I sighed but couldn't help my smile. I laid against my bed and thought of my amazing time with C/N.