Ninety-Two

One hour ago...

Alexander POV

I squinted from my spot on the crow's nest. Having been at sea for two days and newly married has had a dizzying affect on me, especially since I can't get Y/N out of my head!

"What do you see, Hamilton?" I heard General Washington ask from the ship's wheel. I opened the telescope and peered through, my only light being the new dawn. "A loyalist ship! Men on board!" I exclaimed, shutting the telescope.

Men started shouting orders as I slid down the ladder and onto the deck. I marched up to the general. "Where do you need me, General?" I asked in salute. He looked nervously at my new father-in-law, who shook his head.

General Washington sighed and looked back to me. "Son, with you just being married, I don't want you fighting." What?! "Permission to speak freely, General." I asked obediently.

He nodded and I continued. "Sir, I'm a grown man. I can take care of myself. And I am not your son, with all due respect."

He calls me 'son' quite a bit, and I don't know why. General Washington opened his mouth to retort when his name was called. "General!" Sounded a man with a thick French accent. The three of us looked to Lafayette, who was pointing to the ship.

"They are," He paused, trying to find the English word. "Agitant leur drapeau." He said, his French taking over. I looked to my general, slightly annoyed having to help him if he won't let me fight. "They are waving their flag at us."

He looked to the ship and nodded. "We take claim of their ship in fifteen." He ordered. He turned the wheel and Schuyler left. I crossed my arms impatiently.

"Why won't you let me fight? You haven't ever before! I can handle myself, General." I said in challenge. It was absurd! He sighed and looked at me. "We've had this argument before, Hamilton. You are too valuable to important people and to our cause! If you were to die, I would never forgive myself!" He explained painfully.

I wasn't having it. "I can defend myself! I know how to fight! You saw me back there with Y/N! I showed you what I could do!" He shook his head. "No, Alexander! You showed me that you could defend but if you have the upper hand! And that you can take a beating! Y/N did the work!"

I was fuming. "Excuse me, sir?! We came up with that plan together! I did just as much as she did!" I argued! A slight lie. She did most, but I needed to fight!

General Washington's look was a hard glare now. "I said what I said, Hamilton. Get below deck." I didn't move. "Now, or I'll send you home!" I inhaled sharply. I can't go home! Begrudgingly, I turned on my heel and left for below deck.

* *

I hate below deck. It's dark and too quiet. I hate the quiet. So I gathered a plan. I decided to wait till be docked the boat and the I'll sneak up to join the fight.

On cue, I felt the boats rock and bump together. I unsheathed my sword and ran up, joining the flurry of soldiers.

Swords clashed in the dawn light, men shouted and bled. I picked a sword battle with the captain, our weapons clattering together. "British scum!" I spat, knowing the words hit around the loyalist community. Fury flashed in his eyes and his moves got sloppy.

He went to pull out his pistol and I ducked around him. I pressed his back to my front and held the sword to his throat. "Call them off." I demanded. He immediately gave in. "STOP!!"

Everyone silenced and faced us. I connected stared with General Washington, who's face was red with fury. Too bad.

"Lower your weapons!" My General demanded, taking over. They obeyed and swords and pistols fell to the ground. "Tie them up!" He demanded.

I shoved the captain to my fellow soldiers and he staggered forward.

Quickly, the soldiers were tied. "Anyone else on board?" Washington asked. "Yes! Barracks!" One man admitted quickly. "Get them. Don't warn them." He commanded. We cut the man free and he ran for the barracks.

Within seconds, the man ran back out and Laurens pressed a sword to his throat. We all waited in silence as one of the men tied up squirmed. I looked at them and gasped.

I ran over and untied them, taking their cap off. A brunette woman glared at me. Everyone gasped as I handed her off to someone else. Two men spat at her and I aimed my sword at them. "Don't."

The barracks door opened and we looked. I dropped my sword.

"Amanda." Y/N breathed, dressed as a man once again. Everyone dropped their swords and Y/N looked around, our eyes locking.

She gasped. "Alexander." She whispered. Oh god, how I've longed to see her again. We ran for each other and embraced each other.

She sobbed into my shirt and I stroked her H/C hair. I let out a sob if my own. She's okay! She's alive! "You're alright." I whispered into her hair. She shook her head gently. "No, I'm not."