Sixty-Three

Cold water envelops me, my body's temperature dropping instantly. I screamed under the water, no sound reaching the surface. I paddled up and and gasped, lightning cracking.

"Newman!!" I heard Harry shout. "Harry!!" I choked out, water filling my mouth. I sputtered it out, reaching up. "I'll get you back to Elizabeth!!" Harry promised. I know he meant my 'wife' but it was motivation for my promise to my sister.

I looked around, occasionally being dipped under the waves. I gagged, coming up for the surface again. I looked to the ship as it tipped back to me. Harry extended a rope. "Grab on Henry!" He shouted over the wind. I lifted an arm, gripping the slick rope.

I started to climb and heard everyone grunt, trying to lift me. "Come on Henry! For Elizabeth!" Harry motivated between pants. I heaved one last time, a hand wrapping around my wrist. I didn't dare look up as I kicked the boat, the hand pulling.

I was hauled onto the deck and immediately puked. I vomited onto the soaked wood as the rain pelted down. The wind died down, thankfully.

I looked back up, to the crew that saved me, to Harry. "Thanks Korsman." I breathed. Harry gave me a multi-emotion smile. "Anytime Newman." Before I could say more, I fainted.

* *

I woke up with a massive headache. I sat up, on a bottom bunk. I blinked my eyes open and looked around. No one was in here, the boat didn't rock. Was it a dream?

"Morning." I jumped, turning. Harry's head poked down from the top bunk, my bunk. "Morning." I grunted back, sitting in the edge of the bed.

"Head hurt Newman?" He asked, a bit too casual. I nodded suspiciously. He clicked his tongue and held out a paper. My letter from Alexander.

"Or should I say, Schuyler?" He cooed, jumping down to sit across from me. I felt my gut wrench, my blood leak from my face, as I snatched the letter. "Maybe." I muttered. He rolled his eyes.

He extended the Princeton letter, which I snatched. "You've been out for hours. I needed a distraction." He said plainly. Only hours. I didn't miss the dock. "So, Y/N, why are you acting like a man on a boat?" He asked, picking at his dirty nails.

I crossed my arms. "None of your concern." I countered. He gave me a subtle glare. "Only I know you are a girl. As you can see, I didn't let them change you." I looked at my clothes, now dry. "I'm decent. Mostly." I looked back at him. "Tell me why, and I won't tell the crew."

I groaned, pushing back my hair. I needed a bath. "Fine." I complained. He gave me a smug grin. "So my fiancé-to-be was going to propose early. Here." I said, lifting a hand. I pulled out the two letters, from Howe and C/N.

He scanned them quickly before handing them back. "So, while C/N paced the dock, he was hit in the head with a rock." Harry snorted and I gawked. He waved in dismissal and I scowled. "Anyways, he was hit. Then he fell in the water, drowned, died. He was found and brought back." The color leaked from Harry's face with every detail.

"Earlier, as I am sure you know, I was...attacked by Redcoats." Harry nodded grimly, hands balled into fists. "So by that letter, I deduced that they were after my family. I ran from the soldiers as I ran to see if my family was alive." He let out an impressed whistle.

I grinned. "After I found out they were safe, I had to ensure the British didn't get C/N again. That's why I'm on the run. Only my siblings,
C/N's father, and my best friend now I ran off. My mother received a letter." He chuckled.

"You're one crazy gal." He mused. I beamed and swept my hair behind a shoulder. "Thanks." He laughed again. "And not to mention first woman to attend Princeton!" He said in an impressed tone.

I shrugged. "So, Elizabeth wasn't your wife?" He asked cautiously. I laughed and shook my head. "No. Elizabeth is my sister's name. Surely you know this." I said. He shrugged. "Not one for politics." I scoffed. Everyone was into politics in this war. Liar.

I removed my wedding ring and handed it to him. He read the inscription. "You are?" He asked. I nodded and dug the other ring from my pillow case, handing it to him. He read it and chuckled.

"Our first words to each other." I explained. He nodded and handed them back. I put them back in their spots, one on my hand.

I picked at my trousers. "These are my little brother's, John." I said, a hint of longing in my voice. God, how I missed them already. I wonder what went down after mother got the letter. I could only imagine.

Mother slammed the study door, tears in her eyes, face red with rage. "SCHUYLERSSS!!!" She screamed. Everyone lined up. "Where is
Y/N?!" She shouted. Cornelia raised her hand. "Cornelia!" Rensselaer hissed. Mother stood before the girl. "She went away for a month." Cornelia said vaguely.

I almost laughed at the imagined scenario. Almost, had the door not opened. I snatched my cap and put it on, tucking my hair in my tunic.

"Hey! Newman's up!" He sang, half drunk. I chuckled as Harry looked at me. "How old are you?" "Twenty." He grinned and went under the bed, handing me a mug of ale. "Drink." He said. I raised an eyebrow. "For what?" He smirked. "To your union." I clinked out mugs. "I'll drink to that."