Seventy-Six

I woke up to someone shaking me. "Y/N! Wake the hell up!" A familiar voice demanded. I jerked awake and nearly fell off my bunk.

"Are you crazy Harry?! It's not even dawn!" I scolded, properly hopping off my bunk. I smoothed down my hair with a scowl on my face before crossing my arms, silently demanding an explanation.

Harry, dark hair also messy, frowned, pointing to the door. "Your father is leaving." He stated. Oh. Should I say goodbye? I mean, he tried to mend bonds, though it went awfully.

"Go say goodbye you bloody idiot! I don't care how many fits you had! Go!" Harry snapped. I jumped but went anyways.

I ran out the door and found the ships already starting to drift away. The one father was on hadn't left yet. I sprinted and reached the space. No plank was set down. I looked around quickly. "Plank?!" I almost shouted. I turned and saw Jacob jogging over, sliding the wood into place.

I thanked him and jogged across. "Ready to sail, General Washington." I heard father say from the bow. I jogged across and Washington looked up at me. He pointed to me and father turned.

"Y/N, what are you doing-" I cut him off and hugged him. Despite the dread this little 'visit' has caused, he was still my father. I know it would destroy him if I didn't say goodbye. I don't like giving in, which I am not, but I hated the feeling of disappointing my family more.

I felt my father tense, and I stopped. Was this wrong? Did he want to leave without saying goodbye? I was about to pull away when I felt his comforting arms wrap tightly around me.

I buried my face in his chest, savoring this brief moment of peace between us. I took a deep breath before pulling away. I brushed my messy hair from my face and looked up at my father.

"I just wanted to say goodbye." I said quietly, looking down shyly. "I'm glad you came by, I honestly thought you wouldn't." He admitted. I looked up immediately to find Washington shaking his head, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Don't say that to her." He scolded under his breath to father. I giggled and he chuckled deeply.

"Generals, we have to leave now if we aim to be at Albany in time." Someone said quietly. I shuffled on my feet and nodded, though it
wasn't directed to me.

"I'll see you when I get back." I promised. Father nodded and cupped my cheeks. He kissed my forehead and I sighed. "See you when you get home safe, Y/N/N." He whispered, letting go of my cheeks. I swallowed and nodded.

I turned on my heel and went back to my ship, the beginning sunrise lighting my way. I hopped from the plank onto my ship and sighed.

Jacob lifted the plank and set it aside. I took a deep breath and nodded to myself. I looked up at the sky and nodded again. "Ready Captain?" I asked, tilting my head to the side to look at Jacob. He nodded and ran up to the bow.

"Get the sails ready! Someone in the crow's nest!" He shouted, turning the ship's wheel. I ran straight to the barracks, squirming past everyone to get in. "What are you doing?" Harry asked, turning to face me. I whirled to him briefly.

"I've been wearing the same close for days. I have to change before I explode." I explained. He chuckled and nodded. I laughed and shut the door after everyone was out.

* *

In newer clothes, I left the barracks to the sea breeze on my face. "Schuyler, crow's nest! Get down here Korsman!" Jacob commanded. I knew what he was doing. He wanted to give me space and a purpose.

I jogged to mast and waited for Harry to climb down. He jumped the finally two steps of the makeshift ladder and gave me a small nod.

"Cold up there Korsman?" I asked, grabbing the ladder. He chuckled. "Colder than ice." He mused before running to the captain for an order. I climbed up the steps with a laugh.

Step after step, I climbed up. When I got there, I hauled myself into the small wooden basket. I slouched against the wood and sighed. It was not cold, despite the winter month. It was warmer than usual.

"Liar!" I shouted down to Harry. I heard him howl with laughter and I smiled slightly. I grabbed the telescope and peered through. In approximately seven hours, we will reach the harbor, then a days travel to C/N.