Twenty-Eight

After thirty minutes of talking with my friends and family, C/N was the last one. He shut the door behind him and walked closer shyly.

"I have but one question." He said. I gave him a strange look. What is he on about? "You wouldn't mind if I killed those Redcoats when I see them, would you?"

I laughed and nodded. "If you can find them." I said as I laughed harder. He chuckled and held my hand. "You know how long we have known each other?" He asked, not meeting my stare. I thought back. "Five years on New Years." I recalled with a bright smile. We met at a New Years Ball my parents threw.

He nodded and joined our hands. "And since then I've wanted to asked you one question." He said softly. "Y/F/N Schuyler-" He was cut off by the foot opening, father and my elder sisters walking in.

"Y/N, Alexander just told me how him and Elizabeth met." Father said threateningly. Oh dear. I looked to my sisters, who were all smiling nervously. "You snuck out?!"

C/N looked at me in amazement. Normally I do my best to follow the rules. I glared at my sisters. Someone sold me out because Alexander never saw me there. "Who told." I snapped. Angelica and Elizabeth pointed to Margarita, who glared at them in turn.

"I didn't mean to!" She defended. I looked back to father guiltily. "Sorry father, it won't happen again." I said solemnly. I sat up a bit more and kind of slipped, falling back on my bum. C/N's hand rushed to my arm, gently holding it.

I flinched away and my heart sped up. "Y/N, careful!" He said, gently holding my arm again. I gave a small shout and almost fell off the bed. Elizabeth yelped and ran over, catching me just in time.

C/N moved away in fear. Fear not towards me, but towards what he did. I thanked my sister as she helped me into the bed again.

"I'm alright C/N." I said reassuringly. He gave the slight shake of his head and left the room. What was he going to ask me? I sighed and sat up again. "We'll—We will leave you be." Father said as he dragged my sisters out.

Within seconds, a nurse came in. "You are all good! I'll have someone get you clothes." She said. I nodded. "Have Margarita." I asked. She nodded and left me alone.

I looked to the burn on my hand. It took up the entire back of my hand. It seems like it would heal eventually, maybe give a slight scar. I reached up and gently touched my bandages wound, wincing at the sudden sharp pain.

It's a miracle I survived that blasted fire. What hurt me most was that no body tried to help. Everyone, knowing I was a Schuyler child, just watched as those nasty men dragged me kicking and screaming. Even if I wasn't a Schuyler, someone should've helped!

These thoughts went through my mind as minutes passed. After some time, the door opened and Margarita bustled in. She had four different dresses in her arms. All were these colors; pink, presumably Angelica's, blue, Elizabeth, yellow, Margarita's own, and...red. Mine.

"I-I wasn't sure what you wanted." She said innocently, splaying the gowns on the bed at my feet.

Blue was too innocent, too Elizabeth. And besides, I didn't want to look the same as the engaged woman!

Yellow was too small, since Margarita, despite her being a year older, was petite and smaller than myself.

Pink would be a bit practical. It was closest to my usual red. And yet...

My eyes drifted to my gown. It was relatively fancy; a scarlet red with maroon detailing. The threads were gold, making it shine. If I chose this dress, I would be facing a fear. A fear of association with the Redcoats. If I wore my dress, I would be brave for myself.

I contemplated my options, my eyes flickering from dress to dress. I finally settled and reached for the pink dress. I reached past it and grabbed my red one.

I heard Margarita give a very quiet gasp. She gathered the other dresses and set them aside. She helped me stand and change out of my nightgown.

She carefully slid my corset on, tying it gently. I was still a bit weak from breathing all of the smoke, but I could dress myself. "I can do this Margarita, I'm not frail." I took my underskirts from her and tied my usual knots. I slid on over shirt on and tied on across my chest, since that was the design. I finished by grabbing my over skirts. I slung them around my waist and tied my two knots.

I turned and faced my sister, not daring to look down at my dress. "Is-Is everything alright?" I asked, turning around for her. She nodded a bit and I sighed. "Ready?"

She laughed a bit. "I should be asking you that." She countered. I gave her a small smile and took a dress from her, draping it over my arm. She piled the other two in similar fashion over her arm and walked to the door.

I gave her a small nod and she opened it. Not a single soul noticed as I walked out of the room, Margarita following.

Since I was holding the blue dress, I moved through my oblivious friends and family to my sister. "Oi!" I said, throwing her dress at her as she turned around. "Y/N!"

Everyone turned and faced my way. She gathered her dress and hugged me, all my siblings joining. We all embraced each other tightly, myself ruffling my brothers's hair lovingly.