Eight

I grabbed my hat and clothes in a rush. "Can I go?" Cornelia begged. Today, her favorite color was orange judging by her dress she picked. Yesterday, her favorite color was purple.

"Of course you can!" I heard mother say cheerily. Cornelia squealed and ran over to me. Just me and her would be going. "I'll be back!" I said, joining hands with Cornelia before walking out the door.

"Thanks for letting me come with you Y/N." Cornelia said, though she was more focused on the town. This was her first time out without mother or father.

"Thank you for volunteering." I said, poking her small nose. She giggled and we wove through the noon time crowd.

"Mon ami, vous avez vous-même une belle prise d'Elizabeth Schuyler." (My friend, you have yourself quite a catch that Elizabeth Schuyler.) I turned to my left. Monsieur Lafayette was talking to Alexander Hamilton and a blonde man.

"Hello gentlemen." I said with a dip of my head. They all looked at me. "Hello Y/N!" Monsieur Lafayette said, kissing either of my cheeks before doing the same to Cornelia.

"Hello miss. I'm Alexander Hamilton." Alexander said, dipping into a small bow. I picked up Cornelia and propped her on my hip.

"I know. My name is Y/F/N Schuyler, and this is my little sister Cornelia." I said. Cornelia waved. "Elizabeth's sister!" The blonde man said. I had yet to meet him.

"I'm John Laurens, pleasure to meet you two ladies." He said, winking charmingly to my sister and making her giggle. "Est-ce qu'elle est au courant de vos lettres à ... " John said to Alexander with the inclination of his head.

Monsieur Lafayette winced and sighed. "Les lettres à Elizabeth et Angelica? Oui." (The letters to Elizabeth and Angelica? Yes.) I said with a hint of anger. John took a step back.

"And I advise you stop it with the letters to Angelica." I said, looking to Alexander. He looked flushed. "Anyways, I have a letter to mail myself. Good day to you three." I said. Cornelia waved and we walked away.

"I don't think I can talk completely." She said distantly. I gave her a worried look. "I didn't know what you and John were saying." She said in an ashamed tone. I chuckled. "It was French. You know, the people helping us in the war?" I asked. She lit up and nodded.

I laughed softly and we arrived at the post office. I set Cornelia down, yet I kept our hands joined, and walked in.

I walked to the post boy at the counter. "Mailing a letter to Princeton College please." I said. He smiled and took my letter. "Anything else, Miss?" He asked kindly. "No thank you." I said. He tipped his navy blue hat to me before we left.

"Can we got to the park?" Cornelia asked once we left the post office. I sighed and shook my head. "No, mother and father are expecting us home." I said. She frowned and stopped in her tracks. Oh no!

I ran over and knelt to her level. "Cornelia, listen to me. We are in public. You can cry at home." I said quietly. She crossed her arms. "I want to go, but mother and father will send us to our rooms all day if we do." I said, making her ease up.

I waited anxiously for her to do something. "Fine." She muttered. I said a small prayer and picked her up, propping her onto my hip.

"Here ye here ye!" I heard from the square. I turned. An announcement. Those were never fun, yet I walked forward anyways. I saw Alexander, Monsieur Lafayette, and John talking with Hercules Mulligan. Aaron Burr was giving them a worried look.

"My name is Samuel Seabury, and I present free thoughts in the proceedings of the Continental Congress!" Oh great. Yippee. Cornelia giggle quietly. "He said a funny word." She whispered. I smiled and nodded.

"Heed not the rabble who scream revolution. They have not your interests at heart." He chimed. Hercules whispered something to Alexander. What were they planning?

"Chaos and bloodshed are not a solution. Don't let them lead you astray. This Congress does not speak for me." Samuel continued. Alexander started walking forward when Aaron stopped him. I frowned in confusion.

"They're playing a dangerous game. I pray the king shows you his mercy."

Alexander looked pissed. "For shame! For shame!" He lost it.

"He'd have you all unravel at the," Alexander started. "Heed not the rabble," Samuel challenged, cutting him off.

The two men bickered and and everyone around was either amused, worried, confused, or all of the above. I was one of the 'all of the above' people. Cornelia though was laughing.

Aaron finally pulled Alexander back and Samuel gave an offended look. We should leave now. I scurried off, not wanting to be there with Cornelia when the British soldiers arrived. Is that seriously the man Elizabeth was head-over-heels for?

We made it home quickly and I stopped just outside the door. "Do not say a word about what we saw in the square, or I'll tell mother and father that you cried in public." I threatened. Cornelia nodded and we walked in.

"We are home!" I said, setting Cornelia down. She ran straight for Margarita. "What took you?" John asked. I had to lie. "I talked for a while with an old friend." I said smoothly. Cornelia eyed me but didn't say anything.

"Where are mother and father?" I asked as I sat in the living area with all my siblings.

"Study. We don't know why." Elizabeth said. She had Catharine in her arms. I nodded and grabbed a book.