One Hundred and Nineteen

Neither of us had bothered with a carriage since we were faster.

We arrived at the Washington residence and Alexander started knocking. The door was immediately opened by a servant. "Hello Captain Hamilton, Miss Schuyler, and Captain Schuyler." I blinked at the title. Captain?

Angelica stepped forward, wiping her cheeks. "Excuse me, but is Elizabeth Hamilton here?" The servant shook his head and I sighed. "Thank you."

We turned and left, the three of us gathering in town.

"Where could she be?" Alexander asked worriedly. I looked around the town when something caught my eye: the edge of a blue dress heading for the postal office. "There!" I said, running after her.

Angelica and Alexander followed and we burst inside. The only other person here was a blonde girl in a pale blue dress. Not Elizabeth....but that was her gown!

I rushed to the woman and turned her towards me. She gave me a startled look. "Who gave you this dress?" I asked, pointing to her skirts. She looked at her gown and smiled. "A lovely brunette! She said to exchange gowns and to give this letter to the postal office."

She extended an envelope, which I snatched. "What color was your original dress?" I asked as I opened the letter, Angelica and Alexander crowding me.

"Just plain old mint green. It wasn't at all as expensive as this, but she insisted."

I finally opened the letter and read it.

Dear Y/N, Angelica, and Alexander,
What Y/N accidentally told me in her drunken state made me hit a realization that I was avoiding; I was not the girl for Alexander. After Y/N passed out, I grabbed some money I had collected and docked a ship for England. Don't try to find me, it will only make things worse. I realize how happy Y/N seems to make Alexander and I hope you two live a long and full life.

With love and kisses,
Elizabeth Schuyler.

I felt tears slowly slide down my cheek as I handed the letter to Alexander and my sister. This is all my fault.

I buried my face in my hands and shook my head. "I'll go," the woman said quietly before leaving the postal office. I heard Angelica gasped and I sniffled. "She's gone."

I looked to them and let out a sob. "She's gone and it's all my fault!" I said. Alexander immediately shook his head and went to me. "No no no! This is my doing, not yours." He said reassuringly.

I wiped my tears and Angelica sighed. "You two have to leave Albany."

We looked to her in disbelief. "What?!" Alexander and I said in unison. She waved the letter as us. "She openly says about what is between you two!" She whispered, not wanting the workers to hear.

"Do you know what happens to women who have an affair with a married man? Let alone the fact that his wife was her sister!"

I swallowed nervously. Most often, they were shunned and/or beaten for it. I looked to Alexander in a panic. "I can't stay here, but you can!"

He shook his head. "What! No! I'm going with you, Y/N!" He insisted. I shook my head. "Your legacy is in Albany, Alexander! You're a captain and can't leave that behind! Plus, Laurens needs you!"

He waved it off. "Laurens is a strong man. He doesn't need anyone." I sniffled and looked to Angelica. "You have to break the news to everyone." I said quietly.

She nodded. "I know, but you have to leave, and now."

I nodded and gathered my skirts, following her out of the postal office. "Where do we go?" I asked. Alexander nudged my shoulder sadly yet playfully. "How about Charleston?" He offered.

I was amazed at how calm he suddenly was.
"Y-Yeah?" He nodded. "It's not that far."

We both look to Angelica, who shrugged, though I saw the tears in her eyes. "I won't tell."

I nodded and sighed. "We have to get to the docks." Alexander said, already walking. Angelica and I followed behind.

"I'm sorry, truly. I wish this never happened." I said to my eldest sister. She wiped her cheeks and shook her head. "I should've known better than to even talk to him at that ball."

I sighed and shrugged. "We're all three to blame." She nodded her agreement.

We quickly reached the docks and Alexander found a boat. Angelica and I watched as he purchased it, heading back to us with a grim look. "Ready?" He asked me.

I turned to Angelica and immediately brought her into a tight hug, crying into her bodice.

She wrapped her arms around me and I sobbed. "I'll miss you so much!" I said pathetically. She pat my back as I felt her own tears fall into me. "I'll visit!"

I let go and looked at her. "Promise?" She nodded and I kissed her cheek. I stepped back and she faced Alexander.

"You will treat her far better than you did me or Elizabeth, ok? Or I'll hunt you down and set my father on you." She threatened. Alexander paled but nodded. "Thank you Angelica, this means more to us that you know."

She merely waved him off. "Don't be sentimental with me. Now go before someone sees!"

I sniffled and nodded. "I love you." I said before stepping on the boat. Alexander untied it and pushed us off, the wind immediately catching the sail.

Slowly and painfully did I watch my old life fade away, though my new life presented itself.

Once Albany was out of sights, I turned to Alexander. "You ready?"

He bent down a bit and kissed me, the kiss full of patience and love. When he removed his lips, he gave me a small smile. "For a life with you? I'm more than ready."