Sixty-Four

By the end of the day, I had only one drink. I couldn't have a reoccurrence of the last time I drank. That'd be awful.

Right now, I was tying up the sails for the night. I insisted I go back to work, much to the captain's disagreement. I finally tied the last knot and started my climb down. For some reason, I wasn't as scared.

I hopped off the last peg and landed with a small thud. I dusted off my pants when I was called into the captain's office. I frowned.

I walked to the small, ornate room and shut the door, head down. Hardly anyone sees my face up close, that's how I've stayed hidden so long. Well, mostly hidden. I tried to look as masculine as possible, which wasn't much.

I heard footsteps near me, the tips of black boots entering my vision. "Here." I looked up. A glass of what I presumed was rum was in his hand, an offering. Not wanting to seem strange, I accepted.

"Sit, Henry." He said, pulling out the guest seat. I shuffled forward and sat down, head still lowered. I heard the captain sit down. "Do you know my name, boy?" He asked. I shook my head.

He always told us to call him 'Captain' and nothing else. I don't think anyone on this ship knew his name.

"Jacob Levi Montgomery." I blinked, looking up a bit. How did I not see this before? He had Levi's eyes and build. The resemblance was uncanny.

"Levi's father." I muttered. He gave me a small grin and sipped his drink. I didn't touch mine. "I quickly received a visit from my son, saying that I would be gaining a strange passenger and to keep 'him' safe." I could hear the hint. He knew. Darn it Levi.

I swallowed. "Your younger brothers, John Bradstreet, Philip Jeremiah, and Rensselaer, took safety on this very boat." My heart swelled. I owed this man so much. For my brothers.

He gestured to my outfit. "Who else knows?" He asked. "Harry Korsman. He wouldn't let the crew change me after I fainted." I said, a slight blush creeping. He nodded.

"You don't have to pretend to be a man on my boat. I'll tell the crew to keep away or become fish food." He said, an evil grin on his face. He was dead serious, just like his son would be.

I gave him a grateful smile. "I'm so glad. I never want to dress like a man again, no offense." I said. He chuckled and I stood. "Thank you, Captain." I said. He waved me off. "Please, call me Jacob." I gave him a grateful smile.

"Now go. I can't stand to see you so miserable." He teased. I laughed and left the room. I entered the bedrooms to find everyone playing cards. "Harry." I said, not lowering my voice. Everyone looked to me, confused.

Harry stood, a grin on his face. I chuckled off my hat with a laugh, hair flying free. The men stood, gasping. "A woman?" A few whispered. I laughed and nodded. They all gasped again.

"Y/F/N Schuyler, pleasure to finally become acquainted." I said with an air curtsy. One man toppled backwards. "SCHUYLER?!" Most shouted. Harry laughed and they frowned at him. "You KNEW!!" Barry Thomas, a few beds down, shouted. Harry nodded.

"Now gentlemen, let's let the lady change." Harry said. I gave him a grateful smile and all the men shot up. They staggered out, some drunk. They all tipped their hats to me before leaving.

I shut the door and ran for my bag. I pulled out my simplest red dress, laying it out. I tugged off my shirt and loosened my corset. I let out a long exhale at the relaxation of my ribs.

I tugged off my trousers before grabbing my dress. I tied all the skirts and tops before getting my shoes. I slipped them on, grabbing my brush. I brushed my hair and let it down. It felt so good being a woman again!

I dusted off my skirts before leaving, finding everyone outside on barrels, crates, or the floor. I realized they were waiting to see me in my dress. I blushed a bit as they turned to me, gawking.

"You're mighty pretty, Y/N." Patrick Mendel said shyly. I did a small curtsy. "Why thank you, Patrick." I said. His face reddened when I remembered his name.

I giggled and twirled. "It's amazing how you've been able to put up with us men. We've been disgusting monsters these two days." Harry said. They all looked down guiltily. "It's alright! I needed to be a secret. And I enjoyed these past two days." I complimented. I still had a day and a half here.

"If you don't mind me asking, why are you sneaking around with a bunch of messy men?" Barry asked. I smiled sadly.

"Well, it's a long story. Has everyone had lunch?" Nods. "Alrighty then." I said, pulling up my own crate. I carefully sat down, the wood creaking. I chuckled and faced the group. "Let's start from the beginning."