Eleven

I woke up to the sound of shuffling. I tensed up and kept my eyes shut out of fear. "Ouch!" I heard, accompanied by a falling thud. John?

I opened my eyes. Sure enough, John was standing up, recovering from a trip. "What did you even trip on?" I asked with a light laugh. He glared at me. "Your shoe!" He snapped. I scoffed and sat up.

"My shoes are never out of place!" I retorted. He rolled his eyes. "Good morning." I said cheekily. He stuck his tongue at me and left my room.

I got out of bed and went to my closet. I grabbed a very dark red dress and dressed myself before putting my hair into curls. I left my room and went to make breakfast.

I made porridge and grabbed eleven bowls. "Hello." Angelica said as she grabbed her bowl. "Good morning!" Elizabeth said as she grabbed her bowl, kissing my cheek. "Hello Y/N." Margarita said. "Morning Y/N." Jeremiah said. "Glad to see your shoes are where they are supposed to be." John mumbled. "Good morning Y/N." Rensselaer said. Margarita grabbed Cornelia and Catharine's plates. Mother grabbed hers. I grabbed mine, staring at the last one.

"Hey where is- oh." I muttered the last part. Everyone gave each other confused looks before remembering. Father was gone. I slowly walked to the table and sat in my usual spot. Father's seat being empty made the meal feel incomplete.

We are in silence, the only sound was spoons against bowls, the occasional fuss from either Cornelia or Catharine. When finished, Angelica and Elizabeth collected the bowls and went to wash them. "I'll collect the letters." I said, leaving the table. I grabbed my hat and gloves and left the house.

I walked down the path, everyone staring and dipping their heads. I got the occasional 'Tell you father thank you for his service' and always responded with a 'It is his honor to serve our colonies'.

I heard a familiar voice just before I entered the post office. I looked to my left.

Monsieur Lafayette, Alexander, John Laurens, and Hercules Mulligan were talking. I smiled gently and walked over.

"Hello boys." I said cheerily, covering your my sadness for my father's absence. They faced me. "Hello Miss Y/N." They said in unison. I giggled. "How are you this fine morning?" John Laurens asked politely.

I gave a light shrug. "Well, it's the first without father. Did you get sent out?" I asked in return. They nodded and Hercules and Alexander smiled with pride. "We stole the British cannons! Straight from under their noses!" Alexander said pridefully.

I chuckled lightly. "Oui! Quite the feat!" Monsieur Lafayette said, clamping a hand on Hercules' shoulder. John Laurens did the same with Alexander, both of them smiling brightly.

"Well, I should be getting the letters. Tell my father I said hello!" I asked, leaving. I walked into the buzzing post office.

I wove through the crowd, hissing as someone stepped on my foot. "Sorry!" I looked up and C/N looked down at me. "Y/N!" He said. "C/N! Hello!" I said, giving him a hug.

"Letters for Schuyler." I said politely. The boy handed me a very large stack of letters. "Oh my!" I said, grabbing them. "Letters for
C/L/N." C/N said politely. He had a significantly smaller stack.

We laughed airily and left the post office. "So, I heard your father left for war last night." C/N said. I nodded. "Yeah. It's been a bit gloomy." I admitted. He brushed and strand of my H/C from my face.

We faced each other, C/N's hand still laying against my cheek. His C/E/C eyes flicked to my lips in a moment. I shut my eyes as he brought his lips to mine.

His lips were soft, like one would think of a cloud. They tasted like berries and a summer breeze. He removed his lips and I opened my eyes.

He had a stupid grin on his face. "You can only imagine how long I've wanted to do that." He said. Before I could respond, I heard, "Y/F/N Y/M/N Schuyler!"

We looked to my left. John and Jeremiah were staring. Oh dear. "Well, good to see you again, C/N. Have a good day." I said quickly. "And you as well!" He said with a slight, nervous stutter.

I quickly walked to my brothers. "You kissed him?!" Jeremiah whispered aggressively. I blushed. "Oh shush now! Don't tell anyone!" I spat. John chuckled and I glared at him.

"Y/N is courting C/N!" He said almost too loudly. I blushed more and smacked the back of his head. "Shut it you bigot!" I hissed. He laughed.

We walked back to the house and walked in. I prayed the boys wouldn't say anything as I set the mail out. Thankfully, they kept their mouths shut. Everyone ran to the mail. Three for Angelica, Four for Elizabeth, Two for Margarita, One for both Jeremiah and John, and three for me.

I went to a seat and opened my first one.

Dear Y/F/N Schuyler,

We thank you for your acceptance and consideration. You will have the basic classes and any extra you wish. Respond within the week.

Sincerely,
Princeton Headmaster Hugh Henry Brackenridge

I squealed and went to my next letter. It was merely a revolution notice. Boring. I went to my final letter. From Alexander Hamilton?