Thirty-Three

Isabella and I laughed and walked in the snow, taking the long way to catch up. By now, the snow was at least an inch. Our shoe prints were distinct as we walked up the steps to the mansion.

I opened the door to the smell of potatoes for lunch. "Smells wonderful!" Isabella said, catching the attention of my family. "ISABELLA!!!" They screamed, my siblings running over. Cornelia Catharine just stayed by mother, since Cornelia was too young to remember her and Catharine hadn't met her.

"Hey Schuylers!" She said happily. They all hugged her, Rensselaer blushing a bit. He has fancied Isabella since he was three. He hasn't seen her since he was five, so this was a big moment.

"Hello Ren." She said, smoothing his hair. Isabella knew about his fancy thanks to me. "Hi Izzy!" He smiled. She looked up to find mother walking over, Cornelia and Catharine hiding behind her. The boys and my sisters moved aside.

"Hello Mrs.Schuyler." Isabella said, giving her a hug. "Good to see you Isabella." She said. I picked up Catherine, Margarita picking up Cornelia. Isabella looked to Cornelia first and gasped dramatically.

"Hello 'Nelia! Do you remember me?" She asked. We got Cornelia's nickname from Isabella, since she struggled to say it correctly with her accent. She was born in Britain but moved her seven years ago. Now, she is a patriot.

Cornelia shook her head shyly. "Oh that's alright! I'm Isabella. I'm the one who gave you the nickname 'Nelia." Isabella said pridefully. Cornelia smiled a bit more and Isabella looked to Catharine in my arms. Catharine, being the social butterfly she is, waved eagerly. "Hi!" She exclaimed.

Isabella laughed. "Hi. You must be Catharine. I'm Isabella, call me Izzy." She said happily. "Ok Izzy! My siblings call me Caty!" My sister almost shouted. "Hi Caty." Isabella said with a laugh.

Elizabeth gasped and held up Isabella's left hand. My elder sisters fawned over the ring, Elizabeth holding her own next to it. "Together in heart no matter the miles apart! Oh that's so romantic!" Angelica said. "He's a soldier for the patriots." Isabella explained.

"That's so exciting!" Margarita said. Rensselaer crossed his arms in a pout and I knelt down beside him. "Aw, is Ren upset that Izzy is engaged?" I asked playfully. He swatted me away as he said, "No." I laughed and set Catharine down before standing.

"Anyways, I've heard that some of you have interesting people in your lives!" Isabella said, making some of us blush. "Yeah, my fiancé is Alexander Hamilton." Elizabeth said proudly. "My beau is John Church." Angelica said with less pride but a bright smile. "Stephen Van Rensselaer!" Margarita chimed. "C/F/N C/L/N is mine!" I claimed. We all looked to John, who blushed. "E-Elizabeth Van Rensselaer." He said shyly. We all giggled.

"You must stay for lunch!" Jeremiah said. Him and Isabella were close friends, despite the age difference. "Yes! You shall! Unless you have a previous engagement?" Mother asked. Isabella shook her head and my siblings cheered.

"You must tell us everything that has happened these past years!" Angelica said as we sat at the table. The five of us were inseparable when we were younger. It's good to be back together.

"Where do I start! I met Matthew Williams when he was previously posted here at the beginning of the war, back in 1777. He is such a gentleman! Nice dark hair and green eyes! And he is so tall!" Isabella described dreamily.

"Then I inherited the shop just after. I found my passion for dressmaking and carried on the family business. I even made a dress or two for Martha Washington herself!" We all gasped and she nodded. "And then, only a month ago, Matthew proposed. Since he is off in war we extended the marriage date twice." She said, a slight sadness and longing in her eyes. She truly loves this man. It was so sweet!

"But there is something he doesn't know." She murmured shamefully. Oh dear me what happened? "The last time he visited, three weeks ago, we..." They what? What did- OH MY GOD HEAVEN ABOVE!! I gave a sharp gasp and Isabella nodded a bit. "What?" Elizabeth whispered. Angelica's face lit up with understanding and choked on air. She pulled Margarita and Elizabeth aside and whispered.

"Oh my goodness!" Elizabeth said, turning her attention back to Isabella. "But that's not it." Isabella said quietly. Please don't be what I think it is. "I'm pregnant." Oh sweet mother Mary bless me.

"What?!" Margarita said quietly and suddenly. We shushed her. "He doesn't know. Only you four and myself do." She said. Out of wedlock! If they postpone the wedding again, her belly will be noticeable and she will be shamed!

"We won't tell a soul, will we?" I said urgently and almost threateningly to my sisters. They nodded quickly and our food was passed out.

Before we started eating, Isabella pulled me aside, though we remained seated. "Y/N, I have a proposition for you." She whispered. "I want you to be the godmother of the baby."

I looked at her, bewildered. "Yes! Of course! It would be an honor!" I said excitedly yet quietly. She smiled brightly and we went back to our food. I'm going to be a godmother!!