Forty-Three

C/N didn't visit for the rest of the day. I'm not sure how I feel about that. It was now the next day and I just finished getting dressed, having my hair down. I left my room when I saw John and Jeremiah talking to someone outside the door.

"No." Jeremiah said firmly. "She doesn't want to see you." John added. I tilted my head in curiosity. "Please! Just hear me out, that would be enough!" C/N's voice begged. I tensed a bit. "No! You aren't welcome!" Jeremiah scolded. "She will talk to you when she wants." John snapped.

"Please! Y/N!! Y/N!!!" C/N shouted blindly. "Stop it!" The boys said in unison. I stared walking downstairs, debating. Should I talk to C/N? Yes, he was being irrational. But he was also drinking the night before. Heavily drinking. "Please!!" C/N begged. "Boys." I said gently, my brothers facing me. "Y/N! Y/N! Please!" C/N called.

I dismissed the boys and they ran off. I opened the door wider and crossed my arms. C/N looked a sight. His eyes were a bit baggy, his hair messy. His shirt was wrinkled and his boot was only half polished.

"You have five minutes." I said impatiently. "Can I come in?" He asked. I gave him a bored look as I stated, "No." He nodded and sighed.

"I was being so rude and awful. I should know that you are loyal and not lovesick for any guy you meet. I'm lucky enough to get this close to you after five years!" I fought a sigh. I fell for him within a month. "I shouldn't have yelled or grabbed you. I shouldn't have tried to force a false confession out of you. I deserve this silence, scrutiny, and more."

I tapped my foot twice. Quite the speech. Truthful too. His eyes didn't dare meet mine. "You are right." I finally said. His eyes looked hopeful. "You were being rude, a prick really." I said, keeping a monotone voice.

"You shouldn't have yelled. You shouldn't have grabbed me." Guilt replaced the hope. "But," He blinked. "I am surprised to see you hear after only a day. It's very humble and honest of you." I complimented. He gave me a weak, nervous smile.

"I already apologized to Levi." He said embarrassingly. What! That takes a ton of pride to overcome! Impressive. "That was awkward." He breathed, mostly to himself. I let a giggle escape and his face lightened up.

"You don't have to forgive me yet, or even ever really." He said in shame. I blinked and stepped forward. "Yes, you were an idiot. But you are my idiot." I said, embracing him. He stumbled back in surprise and we tumbled down the stairs, myself landing atop him.

"Oh look. I fell on you. I'm in love." I joked. It was the first time I said I loved him, and it was a bloody joke!! Though I truly mean it. He blushed, realizing the same thing I did. "Well, I'm glad you fell for me this time. I love you too." He said, kissing me before shoving me off and helping me up.

I blushed and looked away. "He pushed her!" I heard Jeremiah shout, running towards C/N. "Jeremiah!! Stop it!" Angelica scolded, chasing after him. Jeremiah ran for C/N, who picked up my brother and slung him over his shoulder.

"Slow down! She technically pushed me. Then she kissed me." C/N said with a wink. I playfully frowned at him and Jeremiah squirmed.

"Glad to see you made up." Elizabeth said as she walked out beside Angelica. C/N set Jeremiah down, who crossed his arms. "You didn't have to do that." He grumbled. "Just go inside." I said, messing up his hair. He swatted me away before following our sisters inside.

He extended a hand to me. "Get the letters with me?" I smiled and took his hand in my own, interlacing our fingers. "It would be my honor."

He gave me a silly grin and we started walking down the steps. I leaned my head on his shoulder and felt his heart beat. It was a bit quick but it was steady, strong. It was unlike my own. Mine was quieter, but fast. Not quite thundering but still fast, like a north wind.

"Shilling for your thoughts?" C/N asked, startling me. I smoothed my hair and sighed a bit. What was on my mind? Father. Alexander. C/N. Princeton. Me. The snow. The war. The Redcoats walking around menacingly. "Nothing much." I lied carefully. He frowned, no doubt seeing right through me.

"Y/N, what's up? What's got you worried?" He asked gently, like I might snap. I blew out a breath. "Quite a bit to be honest. But I always have so much on my mind, so I'll be fine." I said in false confidence. I do always have a lot on my mind. It's vexing.

He raised an eyebrow. "Care to share?" He offered. I didn't want to burden him, so I shook my head, saying, "Nothing to share." He kissed my hair and we reached the post office, conversation ending.

We walked in and I frowned. It was so busy. I leaned against the wall, foot tapping impatiently. The man at the front noticed me and held up a hand, silencing the older woman talking to him. He walked back for a few moments, returning with two stacks of letters. "Schuyler and C/L/N." He shouted about the crowd.

C/N and I smirked and walked up. "You two are the only two the always collect the family letters. Every other family sends a different person every time." He says with a wink, handing us our papers. "Thank you." We say in unison. He smiled before facing the woman again.