Thirty-Four

During lunch, we all exchanged information on the past years with Isabella. After we finished, I walked to the piano. "Any requests?" I asked Isabella directly. She didn't even take a moment to think before she exclaimed, "Yankee Doodle!" My family cheered in agreement and I sat down, flexing my fingers. I started to play and everyone sang along, mother clapping to the beat.

"Yankee Doodle went to town, a'riding a pony. Stuck a feather in his cap and called it macaroni!"

Everyone got a dance partner, Rensselaer & Isabella, John & Margarita, Jeremiah & Elizabeth, and Angelica twirled the youngest girls around playfully.

"Yankee Doodle keep it up, Yankee Doodle dandy. Mind the music and the step, and with the girls be handy!"

Isabella winked at Rensselaer with the last line, my brother blushing furiously. Jeremiah on the other hand beamed with pride, being the ladies man he aspired to be.

"Fath'r and I went down to camp, along with Cap'n Gooding! And then we saw the men and boys, as thick as hasty pudding!"

Us sisters and Isabella giggled at the thought. A camp of muscular men! We were all loyal to our beaus, and fiancés, but we could giggle at such things!

"And then we saw a thousand men, as rich as Squire David! And what they wasted everyday, I wish it could be saved!"

This single line is why our family tries to never waste, giving spare and healthy food to our servants.

"The 'lasses they eat it ev'ryday, would keep a house a winter! They have so much that I'll be bound, they eat it when they've mind ter!"

Having a big family, you can't have small snacks whenever. We, unlike smaller and richer families, have to plan every meal.

There was a knock and I halted my playing. "I'll get it!" John shouted, letting go of Margarita to answer the big oak doors. He opened it wide and looked back inside to us, a worried expression on his face. I stood and looked outside.

Two Redcoats stood outside. I, remaining out of their view, grabbed John and hid him behind me. The only person they could see was mother, who was still at the dining table. I looked back to my family and friend. "Ma'am, are you Catharine Schuyler Senior?" One asked.

I waved for the younger children and boys to hide. Angelica put Cornelia and Catharine behind the couch and signaled them to stay quiet. Rensselaer hid behind the massive grandfather clock, being able to hide his entire body easily. Jeremiah hid behind the other couch, laying on his side. John panicked, no where else to hide that who conceal his entire body. I looked around urgently.

"That depends, who is asking?" Mother replied calmly, though I could tell she was worried for us. Isabella waved her hands, catching my eye. She pointed under the couch and I shoved John. He ran and slid under the small gap carefully. Thank goodness he stays fit and slim!

"We are. Are you her or not?" The other soldier asked. The five of us girls sat down gently, trying to remain calm. I focused on my breathing. In...out...in...out...When mother didn't answer, the men walked in.

I almost fainted. One of the men was one from the attack on me! I felt panic rise in me as I looked to my older sisters. Elizabeth, across the  room and beside Isabella, slyly pointed to them and I nodded. Angelica caught on and gave my right hand a squeeze, Margarita doing the same to my left.

The man from the attack, the one that I kicked, looked towards us and I ducked my head. I prayed he didn't recognize me or my dress color.

"Is this concerning Mr.Philip Schuyler?" Mother questioned, ignoring their own question. I heard ominous footsteps and my heartbeat quickened. Black leather boots appeared in my vision and I held my breath.

"Is this concerning Philip Schuyler or not?" My mother insisted worriedly. The boots didn't move. "Yes Ma'am it is." The man who hovered over me said. I felt a pounding in my ears. "Concerning what?" Mother pressed.

"Ma'am, are you related or not?" The other asked impatiently. "Possibly." Mother snapped. Did she want to die?! These are ruthless, British soldiers, one hovering over me! "If you must know, it is concerning the war." The soldier by the door gritted out. I heard mother stand.

"Is my husband dead?" She asked boldly. I didn't even think of that! Oh no! "So you are related?" The one over me asked. I felt like the question was directed to me as well. "I'm his wife." Mother said, choosing to not mention us. She was playing a dangerous, risky game.

Silence filled the room as I felt everyone's stares land on this man and myself. I let my eyes flick to the other couch for half a moment. Elizabeth looked calm, but you could tell she was terrified only because she was messing with her wedding ring, Isabella doing the same. John, who I couldn't see, I prayed wouldn't do anything stupid. I looked back to the floor and I prayed Jeremiah was hidden behind me.

"And these girls are?" The man above me asked. I felt sweat start to bead on my forehead. "Just family friends!" My mother said quickly. I heard her stand. "Is. My. Husband. Dead." She repeated sternly. I saw one foot of the man angle towards my mother, though he didn't move.

"We have yet to know. We have a proposition." The man by the door said. The same one they had for me? I felt my stomach drop, only adding onto my overwhelming feeling of negative emotions.

I heard my mother walk up and a paper shuffle. "Get back to us." The man by the door said. "Marshal." The man above me shifted, hesitating before walking away. I exhaled and felt the room lose tension.

"Good day to you all," The man from the attack said, quickly adding, "Especially you, Y/F/N Eldara."