Chapter 20

And now I’m just not surprised when people leave. I’m actually more surprised when they stay.”

                                    -Unknown

I looked up from the quote Jaxon had laid out on our desks. My gaze instantly found Harry, sat in the only other chair that had been left open, in the very front. He was reading the multiple quotes and poems on the page, biting his bottom lip to stay focussed, one large hand buried in the hair that usually hung in his eyes, keeping it out of his face.

I looked to Mr. Jaxon, mouth going slack as he smiled knowingly at me, glancing over at Harry.

Since when do teachers know about my personal life?

I shook it off and looked down at the paper, writing what the authors had meant as they wrote their carefully selected words, the message they’d been trying to get to us. The final bell went off after what felt like a century, and we all turned in our papers. I smiled once spotting Harry standing outside the classroom waiting for me, a grin tugging at his lips. He took my hand and kissed my forehead.

“Freedom.” He chuckled.

I rolled my eyes and followed him out of the school, leaning my head against his arm. Suddenly a car drove by, one of the oh so popular jock’s cars. I gasped as water balloons struck me, the water soaking through my white tank top, black zip up hoodie, and black jeans.

“What the fuck?” Harry growled, tugging me off to the side and cupping my face as I stared at the escaping car in surprise. “Are you okay baby?” I blinked up at him, then slowly nodded, the icy water causing me to shiver in the windy weather. His jaw tensed and he clenched his fists, tugging me to his chest. “I’ll fucking kill him.” Harry hissed under his breath, the big sweet teddy I knew him as disappearing suddenly.

“Who?” I murmured, cuddling closer to his warm body.

He stopped for a moment then sighed. “No one, come on, lets get you home before you freeze.”

I nodded and followed him once more, climbing into his rusty red pick up, sitting on my side with the heat blasting directly on me. Harry didn’t complain about how hot the ride to his home was, not seeming to mind seeing as it was for me.

It was something I had noticed fairly often about Harry. If whatever was happening related to making me happy, he wouldn’t complain, even if it was absolutely excruciating for him. He was just so selfless.

When we pulled up to his house, his mom’s car nowhere in sight. Anne was a lovely woman, sweet as honey and one of those people where you instantly wish you were related. She actually seemed to like having me over, and she always seemed to know what my favorites were, cooking or buying them when I came over. She was quickly becoming a goddess in my eyes.

Harry pushed me inside, muttering about how slow I walked when I was cold and how I looked like a penguin because I waddled when cold. He got a nice smack for that one.

We finally entered the warm confines of his home and Harry instantly disappeared, going up the stairs in the direction for his room before returning with sweatpants and a hoodie in his hands.

“For you, my princess.” I rolled my eyes, but took the clothing happily, heading to the bathroom to change into the warm baggy clothes, balling my soaked ones up and handing them to Harry when I emerged. He had turned on the TV while I changed, and it was sitting on a random horror movie.

“You know me so well.” I grinned, jumping over the back of the couch and lying across the cushions, yawning softly.

“Cute.” He murmured, kissing my forehead. “I’ll throw these in the dryer for you.” I rolled my eyes and waved him off, finding the movie quite interesting.

Harry soon returned, flopping over the back of the couch, gently landing on me, most of his weight resting on his arms as he hovered over me. “Are you going to move, or do I have to squish you?” I groaned and got up, then climbed onto his chest, humming at the much comfier area.

“Happy baby?” I nodded and kissed his chest

Silence then engulfed us for a while, the only sounds were our breaths and the movie playing. I found myself drifting off to the lullabye of Harry’s heartbeat, eyelids for once heavy with sleep. But I was terrified that I’d have another nightmare. It was embarrassing enough having them, let alone Harry witnessing one.

“You know,” Harry snapped the silent streak and looked down at me, eyes blazing intensely. “We’ve been dating for about 4 months now.” I gaped.

“No way.” He nodded.

“It’s the end of January, we began dating October.”

“Wow.” I muttered in awe. I’d barely had any boyfriends before, now we were almost at the 6 month mark.

“Time flies when I’m in love.” Harry said in a sing-song voice that gave me chills.

I rolled my eyes and buried my face in Harry’s chest. “More like; time flies when you’re dating a dumbass.” He rolled his beautiful orbs in return.

“Whatever.” Was his sassy reply.

I giggled and hid my face in his chest. “How long do you think we’ll last?” I blurted.

There was then silence, and being the wimp I am, I made no attempt to look at Harry. I was afraid I’d find him looking down at me with a confused gaze, as if I shouldn’t be worry about how soon until he left me for someone better.

“We’re going to last up until the moment that life in the universe stops.” I smiled softly and nuzzled back into his chest. “Why were you wondering?”

I bit my lip and peaked up at him. “I’m tired of being alone.”

“With me, you’ll never be alone again.” His eyes were so sincere, and you could hear the promise of forever in his voice. In that moment, I knew that Harry Edward Styles was my future, my destiny.