Chapter 21

Sometimes we get sad about things and we don’t like to tell other people that we are sad about them. We like to keep it a secret.

                                    -Unknown

After Harry left, the world crashed down just as it did everytime he did. It was like the fear when you’re little and your dad or mom drop you off at daycare, and you fear they’ll never come back. That’s the way it was when he left, I was always terrified he wouldn’t return, because it’d already happened once.

But Harry seemed to make it his mission to return to my arms everyday, and it made me wonder if love really was real. Maybe I’d just never seen it. I mean, my grandparents were said to be in love…  But grandpa died of cancer when I was too young to remember, my dad and mom were never in love. And the only time I thought I’d fallen in love, I was broken over and over again by that piece of shit boy with curly brown hair and beautiful brown eyes.

Harry kept telling me he loved me, and maybe he actually meant it. Yeah, he’d fucked up royally on a few occasions, but he always apologized and held me a little tighter. It was like he was just as angry at himself.

And as he so much as breathed around me, I wondered what the fuck I’d done to capture this perfect being. It always mesmerized me, when he took my hand, holding it tightly in his own, keeping me close when it was cold, shedding his sweaters for me at any moment.

But then when he left, I was reminded that the only person who cared about me, had left once again. that followed me until dinner, as I sat at the table with my mother. Step-ugly was staying at a friends, probably to get drunk and cheat on my mother, and Alex was at a friends. So it was just her and I.

“You know what I’ve put off telling you for years?” She suddenly blurted.

I swallowed a piece of sweet and sour chicken and looked over at her. Of course it wasn’t food she made, she’d never make enough for me to eat. No I ordered my own food.

“Hopefully that dad cheated and I’m another woman’s baby.” She scoffed.

“No, idiot.” I rolled my eyes at her weak insult.

“Then lay it on me.” I gasped as she stood and pushed my chair back, knocking me to the floor.

“Everything you love dies, everything you touch breaks, everyone you know despises you.”

And for the first time in a decade, her words hurt. They cut through the steel walls I’d built around myself, and dug deep into my heart. I felt the tears welling the second the words left her lips. And she knew it. The way she smirked down at me, she knew that these words stung. She knew they hurt like hell. She knew that they’d snap my heart.

“Fuck you!” I screamed, pushing from the floor, running up to my room.

I locked the door behind me and found my phone lying on my bed. I snatched it and dialled Harry’s number, listening to it ring as ugly sobs left my lips. But then again, it’s not like I was pretty, so they were normal sobs.

“Hey, you’ve reached Harry! Sorry I didn’t answer-”

“Dammit!” I whimpered. I dropped the phone to the mattress and spun around, seeing the bottle on my desk.

You ruin everything you touch!

Stupid little whore!

No one likes you!

So disgusting!

I tugged at my hair and lunged across the room, unscrewing the cap of the sleeping pills, dumping all of them into my hand, I took large gulps of pills and water from a half full bottle on my night stand until they were all gone. Then I went out to the balcony, drowsiness already kicking in, and laid on a chair, looking out at the dull grey sky as lightning struck in the distance.

And my last thought, was about Harry’s beautiful voice.

...Harry’s POV…

I sighed in annoyance as my phone stopped ringing, the living room in complete disarray from my wild search. I flopped down onto the couch and stared up at the ceiling, but then I heard it buzz, and looked to my left, finding the phone sitting on the window ledge.

“Are you serious!?” I exclaimed as I picked it up, turning it on and seeing a missed call and voicemail from Kellie. I opened it and listened as I heard her crying, not seeming to know that she was leaving a voicemail.

By the time the message had finished, I was dressed in my coat, shoes on, and in my car, backing out the of the driveway. Something in the pit of my stomach told me that Kellie was in danger, so I broke every damn speed limit and traffic law in order to get to the beat up old house she lived in.

When I got there, I saw that her bedrooms French doors were open, and my feet moved faster than my brain, pushing the door open and dragging me up the stairs as Randi screeched at me. Then I came to Kellie’s door, stopping abruptly when it refused to open for me. I let out a deep growl and stepped back, kicking near the handle, sending the old wood splintering against the floor. I immediately saw her empty sleeping pill bottle, knowing full well that it was full before I left.

My stomach bottomed out as I figured it out, and I ran to the balcony, finding my little angel in a ball.

“Come on Kellie, don’t die on me.” I whimpered, kneeling down at her side. I pried her mouth open and stuck my fingers down her throat, feeling it constrict around them. It took a second before her unconscious body purged itself of some of the little white tablets. But I knew there were more. I dialled for an ambulance and set it on speaker as I spoke to the operator and tried to get the poisonous pills out of Kellie’s system.

My worst fear was that it would all be in vain; that we’d all be too late.

All I could do was cry over her, hoping that she’d be okay.