Chapter 34

"If we wait till we're ready, we'll be waiting for the rest of our lives."

-Lemony Snicket

Harry held my hand tightly as we stood at the airport, snow lightly falling around us. All I could feel was my heart pounding while resting in the pit of my stomach. I wanted to vomit, cry, scream, run away, and never come back to this horrible dreaded part in my life. I'd lived through this all once, at a time when you're supposed to be enjoying tel-tubbies and candy, I was in court and at the psychologist, because my mother had murdered my father. Now here I was, age 17, and going through with it once more.

"I can't do this again, Harry." I whispered, the lump in my throat growing larger with every moment.

He squeezed my hand tighter and sighed, tugging me closer. "I'm right here." he murmured, and I spun and curled close to his chest.

"I'm so scared." I whimpered.

Harry hushed me and kissed the top of my head, running his hands up and down my spine. "I won't let anything happen to you." I smiled half heartedly.

"Thank you." I murmured.

"Kellie Zavadil?" I gulped as the familiar voice cut through the moment, and I slowly turned around and looked up at Detective Jambes. He looked just as I remembered. His hair was short and spiked, a dark black with strands of silver sparkled throughout, his eyes hazel and wide with long dark lashes. He was still massive to me, with the frame of a professional football player, at least 6'3, and nothing but a mass of muscle. His strong jaw was still speckled with grey facial hair, and light bags rested under his eyes. Whereas he hadn't changed, I'd became so incredibly different.

"Hi, Jammy." I whispered. He smiled softly, a dimple denting his cheek.

"Hello Butterfly." He opened his arms and I sadly hugged him, sighing at his familiar scent. I sighed and squeezed him tighter.

I stepped back after a moment and went back to Harry, snuggling into him. Jambes looked at Harry, giving him a very suspicious look and frowned at him. "Who are you, sir?"

"Harry Styles. Her boyfriend." Jambes looked Harry over suspiciously, then nodded slowly.

"We will be going to your home, getting you comfortable, and walking through whatever you remember from that night." I gulped and slowly nodded. I hadn't expected us to jump right into it.

**

Harry sat next to me, holding my hand tightly as I sat across from Jambes. His eyes were solely focused on me as he told me we were about to begin.

"Close your eyes." He said. I nodded and did so, feeling Harry's hands brush over mine. "Stop touching her, it'll distract her."

I frowned as Harry slowly removed his hands, after a light kiss to my palm. "Now clear your mind and think back to that night. What were you doing?"

I took a deep breath and nervously thought of that horrible night. The night that ruined my life.

-*-

"Your turn, princess." Daddy said, a big smile on his face as he looked over at me, the book we were reading in his hands.

"Daddy, you keep going." I replied, giggling as he mocked my voice and kissed my cheek, his scruff scratching me gently.

"You have to read too." He chuckled. I shook my head and climbed on Daddy's back, resting my head on his shoulder as he laughed and continued reading. I smiled and listened to my Daddy reading about the Headless Ghost. "Spooky ghost, huh sweetheart?" I giggled and shook my head.

"Uh uh, daddy! I'm a big girl, ghosts don't scare me." Daddy laughed and asked me to read a single page. I was doing what he asked when the door to the attic slammed open. Daddy and I turned to look and found Mommy standing there, her hands behind her back.

"Hello, baby." Daddy smiled, eyes twinkling like they always did when he looked at Mommy. I heard Alex crying downstairs and frowned, not understanding how Mommy could leave Alex alone, she didn't even like setting him down.

"Scott, please go downstairs." Mommy said, looking at Daddy. She looked really mad.

"Why?" Daddy asked. "Princess K and I are reading."

She flicked her head, so Daddy picked me up as he stood, kissing my cheek. "Randi, you have to stop acting like this, it'll have a bad influence on the kids." I looked up at Daddy in question.

"Fuck you! They're my kids, I'm teaching them good habits!" Mommy snapped.

"Baby, I didn't say that. I just don't want them to go bad." Daddy said, setting me down on the floor. "Can we not fight about this in front of Kellie?"

The minute those words left Daddy's lips, Mommy started screaming at him. Daddy shook his head and listened to the mean No-No words Mommy was yelling at him. He looked really sad.

I started to get scared as Mommy got closer to Daddy, I hid in my favorite hiding place so Mommy wouldn't yell at me next.

I watched a shiny thing come out from behind Mommy's back, and Daddy's eyes got really big.

"Randi, don't do anything you'll regret-"

"Oh, I won't regret this in the slightest." Mommy said, her voice really low and growl-like. Then she shoved the shiny thing in Daddy's stomach and red started to stain his white shirt.

As Daddy fell on the floor he looked over at me, sending me a kiss.

"I love you, Princess K." Daddy whispered, then his eyes closed. Mommy turned around and left, and I ran from my hiding spot and sat on the floor next to Daddy.

"Daddy, Mommy isn't going to yell at you anymore." I whispered, patting his face. "You can stop sleeping." I frowned as he didn't move and poked Daddy's side, where he was ticklish. Daddy didn't move, and I started to get scared. But I heard the policeman's cars from outside, and a big guy like Daddy came through the door, and looked down at me, his eyes looking really sad.

"I like your dress." He murmured. I looked down at it too and looked up at the man.

"My daddy got it for me, 'cause I like butterflies." The man smiled and picked me up.

"My name is Jammy, can I call you Butterfly?" I nodded and looked at Daddy, where he was taking a nap.

"When is Daddy gonna wake up?" Jammy looked sad again and took me out of the attic, mine and Daddy's playroom.

-*-

My heart was thundering in my chest and my lungs were closing up as tears streamed down my cheeks. Jambes nodded at Harry, and he instantly took me into his arms, I broke into a bunch of little pieces as the memories continued to crash against me in strong waves of heartache.

"She killed him right in front of me! She just stabbed him!" I screamed into Harry's chest. "How could she do that!" I whispered, still in shock from that moment 13 years before.