Chapter 2

"Not all those who wander, are lost."

                                                                                -J.R.R Tolkien

Walking down the hallways at school for the first time was hell. I knew where my class rooms were. I knew my teachers, I knew the curriculum, and I knew the cliques. But I didn't know the people and they didn't know me.

So as my bright ass blue Doc Martens padded down the hall, my jeans skin tight, white, dark blue, and baby blue, rolling stones tank top and leather cropped jacket hanging onto me for dear life, I took note of the different glances. Some were in disgust, others in envy, some even lustful. That was a new one. But all were saying the same thing: Who is she?

Well that my darlings, is private shit you will never get to know. Because I hate people. I hate interaction. And I hate interaction with people.

But there was a dull ache in my chest as I wandered down the hallways alone, a dull ache that I was unsure what to do about, for the origin was unknown. I was healthy, so no heart attack, I wasn't heartbroken. You need a heart for that. So what was the pain in my chest? I didn't miss anyone, because you needed friends for that, and I was alone in this world, not even fitting in with my family. If you could call my mother and Step-ugly that.

My little brother Alex was all I really had left. The rest were all gone, and he was all there was, a scrawny awkward little boy with dirty blonde hair and grey eyes.

Heaving a sigh of annoyance as the bell went off, I decided to get to my first class on time and began walking. I arrived in class first and took a seat at the back, sitting low, hoping to avoid the teachers gaze. At least my first hour of the day was one I enjoyed the most.

I sat back and closed my eyes, just thinking to myself, listening to the shuffling and groans of half awake teenagers, whereas I'd never gone to sleep. I'd been too busy thinking to ever close my eyes and let my brain rest.

The final bell toned and I sat up, but remained hidden behind the wall of teenage male in front of me.

"Alright class, we have a new student today," Almost instantly everyone seemed to sense where I was sitting and turned to face me. I awkwardly shifted in my seat and looked away. "But since she tried so hard to hide from me, I won't make her introduce herself." Thank you teacher man. "Anyway, today we will be beginning our poetry unit." There was a low groan from everyone in the room, well seemingly except myself. I loved poetry. "We will begin by creating our own poems. I will give you time in class for the next few days to begin. This will be a large percentage of your grade and is due in a month, the final draft will be what you're graded on as a final."

The teacher, Mr. Jaxon then walked back over to his desk and sat down, bringing his glasses to rest on the bridge of his nose as his Honors English class suddenly lost it's shit. No one was obviously going to be getting any work down, except for me.

I instantly sat back and begin to think over what I could write about. I loved writing, it was one of my few escapes from this shit show of a reality. For a little bit, I could crawl into a universe where everything was different, where whatever I wanted to be real, was real. Writing was what kept me sane and quite possibly alive.

When no ideas immediately popped up, I began to looked around the room, but all I could see were people looking at me, leaning in close to whisper to one another as they stared at the new girl with tattoos and piercings.

"Do you think she came from juvy?"

"Her moms probably at home watching her kid."

"Do you see that, those look like syringe marks to me." I rolled my eyes and packed my things, standing from my seat. Mr. Jaxon looked up, flicking his black hair from his eyes, but I was out the door before he could say anything.

I quickly dug my headphones out of my bag, plugging them into my phone and wrapping them around my neck, scrolling through songs, when I heard pounding footsteps, and turned just in time to see the boy from Taco Bell run from the Honors class.

I stopped and waited out of pure curiosity. He caught up quickly and sighed. "Are you alright?" My eyebrows furrowed.

No one had asked me how I was in a long time, and judging by the way this boys emerald eyes stayed locked on mine, he was hoping from a straight answer.

But what was the honest answer to that question? Was I alright? Did those words sting me? A bit. Was I gonna go home and cry over it? No. Would I think about it in my dark moments? Yes. But was I alright?

"I suppose." I voiced my thought.

He raised his eyebrows. "Okay. Can I know your name?"

I shrugged. "I'm Kellie." He grinned and stuck his hand out.

"Harry Styles." I awkwardly took his large hand in my tiny one, shaking it, then shoved my hands back into my pockets.

"So aren't you going to go back to class...?" I asked.

"Are you?" He raised his eyebrows.

"Touche."

He chuckled and puffed out his cheeks before whistling. "What would you like to do then?" I shrugged.

"What kind of library do you have?" Harry grinned and hooked his arm with mine, leading me off towards what I guessed to be the library.

"If you like reading, you'll love it. It's like my own little sanctuary." He stated, dimples piercing his cheeks as his brown curls fell into his eyes.

I smiled slightly, as fire spread from where his skin met mine on my arm. It was the first thing I'd felt in years.