Chapter 40 -The Final Chapter-

"With bruised knuckles, sleepy eyes, tired minds, and pale faces, we, somehow, loved."

                                -James Andrew Crosby.

I stood at the front of the church, willing myself to enter the dark area, to walk past the boards filled with pictures of my love, to walk up to the white casket I'd picked, and to look down at my pale angel, to know that she wasn't really there, to look at her beautiful form and know that her perfect soul wasn't within it anymore.

I closed my eyes and turned, walking passed people, telling me how sorry they were, telling me that Kellie was an angel, telling me things that I already knew.

I stopped at the end of the aisle leading up to the open casket, and reached up, grabbing the diamond ring that hung from my necklace. In a few months, this would've been where Kellie would've been stood, dressed up like a queen in a long white dress.

My feet felt like they were filled with cement as I walked toward her, and yet, the magnet that I had felt draw me to her a million times, was still doing it's job. I was at the bottom of the three steps leading up to where an alter should've been, and there were nothing but roses surrounding me, with one large picture of Kellie sleeping with a small smile on her face. I knew exactly when it was from, because I'd been behind the camera.

Before I could stop myself, I was standing at the casket, and tears were in a steady stream down my cheeks. The air left my body as I looked at her. Her hair, was just as golden brown as when I'd tucked it behind her ears for a final time, her lashes still long and thick as they rested gently upon her cheekbones. Her lips were covered in red, probably to hide the blue tint I knew rested below, and she was clothed in a light blue dress, with a white bow in her hair, just like the happy dream Kellie she'd been working towards being.

I bit my lip and reached down, running my fingers across her still soft cheek. I felt my throat closing up and squeezed my eyes closed, my fingertips running down to her hand. I opened my eyes and shakily sighed, reaching into my pocket and withdrawing a piece of jewelry. The long chain hung from my fingers as I looked at the paper plane pendant, doubled with a pendant I'd found in her room, a small oval locket, with a picture of her and her father within it, and now, with a picture of her and I in it as well.

I gently wrapped it around her wrist, brushing over her newest scars one final time before kissing my fingertips and pressing them to her cold lips.

I retreated after that, watching as the wake ended and they transferred the casket and people to the grave that had been dug beneath a willow tree.

Jambes gave a moving speech about knowing her since she was just a scared little girl in a butterfly dress, some people gave speeches about how they knew her from school and such. Then it came to me, and I slowly walked to the podium, looking at the closed casket.

"Kellie... Kellie was supposed to be my wife." I whispered. "She was something completely different." I read from the speech I'd prepared, but I shook my head and balled it up as tears rose and rolled down my cheeks. "I can't say that I'm okay with her being taken. Kellie was an angel and some asshole took her from all of us, for no real reason. She was going to graduate, she was going to move in with me in a studio apartment. We were going to raise her little brother. She was going to write whatever she wanted. We were going to be happy. But now none of that will happen, because someone took that from us. We were engaged..." I whispered. "Everyone has gotten up here and talked about how nice Kellie was, how they'll remember her. But you know what no one mentioned, what their favorite thing about her was." I ran my hand through my hair and looked at the picture of her, so beautiful, so warm, so happy. So alive.