Chapter 18

“We don’t meet people by accident. They are meant to cross our paths for a reason.”

                                        -Unknown

Kellie sat at my side two days later at lunch, her hand laced with mine as her head rested on my shoulder and she stared down at the food on her tray. I lightly bumped my leg against hers, giving her a soft smile, completely ignoring Niall as he talked about the game he’d watched with the rest of the team last night.

“I love you, remember.” I murmured, not caring who heard.

Kellie took a deep breath and nodded, kissing my shoulder before stabbing a piece of spicy chicken tender and bringing it to her lips. I smiled and squeezed her hand gently.

I was extremely thankful that it was finally Christmas break, and as sad as it was, I was glad that Kellie’s family was leaving the country for the two week break, meaning I was left to spend my break watching over my lovely Kellie. My mum had gave us the green light, and we were going to spend all of the break wrapped in each others arms.

I talked a little bit with everyone during lunch, mainly choosing to stay in mine and Kellie’s little world, rather than interact with someone else.

After lunch, I walked Kellie to her last class of the day, which happened to be Honors Chemistry today.

“Don’t blow anything up, alright babe?” I murmured, setting her bag on her shoulder.

“I’ll try not to.” She replied, standing on her tip toes, and tugging on the collar of my shirt bringing me down to her height for a toe curling kiss. “Meet at my locker?”

“Of course.” I stated, tucking a stray curl behind her ear. “I love you.”

Kellie gave me another sweet kiss then entered the classroom, and I was left all alone for my free period. It was irritating to only have one class with Kellie, but if it was that or nothing, I suppose it wasn’t too terrible. So I wandered to the room, reading a few poetry books that Kellie had told me to look for, and finding a few quotes that made me smile and think of her. It was nice to have her back, nice to be able to kiss her whenever and tell her I loved her.

I ended up checking out almost every book I found, then I googled some more poems before stumbling upon a certain one. I quickly jotted it down on a piece of paper and folded it up, writing Kellie’s name on the outside.

I fell in love with a music box. You were a music box, with your lid shut so tight, just waiting to see who was lovely enough to want to hear something beautiful, just waiting to see who cared enough to open you up.

                            -K.P.K

I thought of you, my sweet music box.

I smiled as the bell went off, tucking the note into my pocket and stalking towards the exit, before Joe, the biggest guy on the football team, stepped in front of me.

“What the hell are you doing here?” He raised his eyebrows and I crossed my arms.

“I kind of have somewhere to be.” I snapped. “Now get out of the way.”

“No.” He snapped. “You see, the football team has a reputation. Social and active.” I rolled my eyes. “And we all date only the best that the high school has to offer, to keep up the social rep.”

I rolled my eyes. “What does this have to do with not letting me get to my fucking locker?”

I gasped as he grabbed me by the neck, pinning me to a wall just out of the librarian's view. “You’ve been running around with that emo new girl.” He hissed in my face. “She’s not the best that the school has to offer, nowhere close.”

“Fuck you.” I snapped.

“Why don’t you go back to that Macy girl. She was hot. The emo girl… She’s just too dark for our school, she’s a coffee stain on great students.”

“If this is great students. I don’t want to see terrific ones.”

He chuckled. “Dump her, or we’ll dump you.” He dropped me to the floor and I coughed, rubbing my throat as he walked away.

Dump her, or we’ll dump you.

What the hell just happened?

I brushed off the incident, deciding to worry about it later, but right now I had a beautiful young lady named Kellie Zavadil waiting for me at her locker.

I grabbed my backpack from the floor and walked down the hallway, finding her leaning against the blue metal, her fingernails scratching at her cuts. I picked up my speed and snatched her wrist, pulling her into my chest.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing, darling?” I raised my eyebrows.

She shrugged. “What was I doing?” I shook my head and ducked down, pressing a soft kiss upon her lips.

“Sorry I was late, I got held up in the library.” She nodded, brushing her nose to mine. “Shall we go, my love?”

“Sure.” Kellie replied, lacing her fingers with mine and staying close as we walked down the hallway. I smiled down at her as she gripped my arm tightly, as she had been doing lately, and replaced my arm around her waist as we entered the cold winter air.

Thankfully my truck was nearby, and Kellie was in right away, curling up in her seat as I jogged to my side of the car. I smiled and kissed her forehead when I got in, taking her hand after starting the car and driving off.

“I had a dream about you last night.” I said, deciding to voice my thoughts. Kellie looked up at me in question. “You were in a light blue sundress, and your hair was in a ponytail, and you were giggling and smiling while we sat at the beach with some people, and you were happy.”

Kellie pressed her lips to my hand. “It sounds nice.”

“It really was. I don’t think I’d ever found you more beautiful.”

“Ouch.” I groaned as she laughed.

“You get what I mean.”

“I do, I just like seeing you fluster.” I smiled and took a left at the first stop light we came across.

There was a comfortable silence between us for a few minutes, then Kellie squeezed my hand, gaining my attention. “I think.” She paused, gathering her thoughts. “I think if anyone can turn me into the Kellie in your dream… It’s definitely you.”

I smiled and pulled our hands to my lips. “I won’t stop loving you, so I hope I can.”