Chapter 12

The rain falling reminds me of you, because it is falling hard and I am too.”

                                                                                                                            -Unknown

Kellie was all I thought of anymore. She was my every thought, my every breath, my every word. And most definitely, my every worry. She was a self destructor. It was as obvious as the button nose on her beautiful face.

She didn’t see what was laid out for the rest of the world. I had been watching her closely since the fall started. Since I began to realize that I hung on her every word, and adored her every breath. And my adoring observations had told me that she was slowly killing herself.

And oh god, did I want to stop her. But I couldn’t think of a way to do it. I couldn’t make her eat more. I couldn’t force her to sleep. I couldn’t make her see life in color instead of dreary black and white. I couldn’t really do anything to help her, because Kellie wasn’t one for authority, and she would most definitely do the opposite of whatever you wanted her to do. She was a little shit like that.

But at the same time she was wasting away, she’d never been more open with me. She shared her every thought, no matter how deep or dark it was. She never turned down holding my hand, and had began to kiss me in public more often. And I had also learned that she was absolutely crazy about cuddling and hugs. She’d definitely choose those over any other way to show affection, easily.

It was really hard, watching her tear herself apart, while also curling up to her by the TV to watch a horror movie every night. It tore me into teeny tiny pieces.

“Fe?” Kellie asked, looking down at the paper in her hands as she quizzed me on the 50 elements that I needed to have memorized by the next day.

“Fe… Fe-lionium?” I raised my eyebrows with a hopeful look.

“Good try, but not even close.” She replied. “It’s iron.”

“What the hell!?” I groaned. “I’m going to fail this test so bad.”

“No you won’t.” She replied.

“Says the one in honors chem. I’m pretty sure you knew the periodic table by the time you with in 9th grade.” I muttered.

“8th, but that doesn’t matter.” I glared at her. “Because you have this chemistry nerd behind you. And I’m not going to let you fail this.”

“But that was just iron and I fucked it up.” I whined.

“Well it’s a fucked up element name so shut it.” Kellie replied sassily.

“Who put sass in your as-”

“Don’t finish that rhyme, Styles.” I held my hands up in defense. “Cu?”

I groaned. “I don’t know, copper?”

“Correct.” She cheered, throwing her pen at me. “Good job.”

“Why’d you throw this at me?” I asked, handing the pen back as she shifted into a laying position at my side, staring up at her ceiling.

“I felt like it.” She shrugged. “Ne?”

“Neon. That one’s easy.”

“That’s what you said about Pb, remember? You better not put peanut butter down on your test.” I frowned.

“I was hungry okay!?” I huffed, jumping as lightning cracked outside. Kellie burst into cute little giggles from my reaction as I frowned and muttered a string of curse words under my breath.

“Calm down there badass.” Kellie said, running her hand through my hair before she stood, walking over to the window. She gazed out with a small smile, her head leaning against the window pane. “It’s just a little rain. Nothing to worry about.”

I stood and walked over to her, sliding my arms around her tiny waist, my head resting on her shoulder. “I wasn’t worried. It caught me off guard.” She shook her head then looked back outside.

“Come on.” She said, stepping away from me. She walked over to the couch and took a seat, grabbing her torn and worn converse and then she snatched my sweatshirt and tugged it over her head. “Get your coat on slow poke! We’re going outside. It’s beautiful out.”

I raised an eyebrow, but sucummed to her wishes, pulling on my coat and shoes seconds before being dragged outside.

The moment a raindrop landed on her skin, it was like she was sent into a world that she actually liked. A smile pulled up the sides of her lips, and she lifted her arms up above her head. “I love the rain.”

I smiled as I watched her revel in the icy droplets, flicking my soon soaked hair out of my eyes every few seconds. “I think we should go back inside.” I offered, hearing the thunder get louder and seeing the lightning flash brighter.

“Wait,” Kellie exclaimed, spinning around to face me, her hair soaked and nose turning light pink from the cold. “I’ve always wanted to try something.”

She ran over to me and wrapped her arms around my neck, pressing her lips upon mine. After the initial shock, I wrapped my arms around her waist, holding her close as fire entered every fibre of my being, just as it always did. But more fierce at that moment than it ever had been before.

Kellie was first to pull away, her head finding a resting place over my heart. She smiled up at me then let her eyes close. “Kiss me while the rain falls;and I swear to you, the kiss will last throughout every storm.” I smiled.

“Didn’t come up with that one yourself, did you?”

“Nope. It was created by one of my very favorites, James Andrew Crosby.” She smiled. “We can go in now if you really want to.”

“We probably should, or you’ll get sick.” Kellie nodded and grasped my hand, leaning her head against my arm as she softly sighed.

“My dad loved the rain too.” She softly whispered, that deep tone of sadness falling into her sweet voice as she looked away from the sky and down to our locked hands. “He said that it was angels tears from laughing too hard. And that I used to make it rain, because I was an angel.” I smiled softly.

“Well he was definitely a smart man.” Kellie’s jade eyes met my own gaze and a single tear rolled down her cheek, mixing into the drops of rain on her cheek. “You are an angel.”

She smiled and sniffled, leaning her head against my arm. “I think my dad would’ve liked you. You take care of me, daddy loved taking care of me.”

“As do I.” I stated, pulling my sweatshirt over her head. “Come on, we have to get you some blankets or you’ll get sick.” Kellie followed me willingly, clinging to my hand tightly.