Chapter 22

“I’m not brave anymore, darling. I’m all broken. They’ve broken me.”

                                    -Unknown

I sat in the hall of the emergency room, leg bouncing wildly, hands running through my hair like mad. I had no intention of ever sitting down or leaving her side as they wheeled her in, but they wouldn’t let me hold her icy hand, giving me sympathetic looks as I fought against the guards and cried out her name in fear. I couldn’t lose her. No now, not ever.

I’d sat there for god only knows how long, waiting for her to emerge and kiss me gently. But she hadn’t, and my heart hurt more with each moment.

I groaned and stood up, wandering around once more, before the doors to the emergency room opened and a doctor stood there, tugging his mask down. Thankfully it was a slow night, not too many people waiting for their suicidal lovers to pull through, so the man gave me a sad smile and walked over, my heart stopping in suspense.

“I don’t suppose you’re here for Kellie Zavadil?”

“I am.” I confirmed, and he let out a deep sigh.

“She took a lot of sleeping medication, you’re lucky you found her when you did, we were able to pump her stomach and combat the drug.” I held my breath. “She’s going to be fine.”

Everything in my body practically liquified in relief. “But I suggest you go home son, we have her on suicide watch for 48 hours. No visitors.”

I nodded and shook the man’s hand, thanking him uncontrollably before forcing myself to leave. The moment I got home, I began pacing around, trying to figure out what I could do to try and prevent this, and thankfully it lasted for two days. Days I skipped because I wasn’t going to school while my girlfriend recovered from a suicide attempt. That was like the biggest dick move.

Finally I decided what I was going to do.

...Kellie’s POV…

I stared at the scars on the insides of my arms, running my fingers over the fresher ones, tilting my head slightly as I tried to remember the reason behind each one. The problem was that I couldn’t. I couldn’t because pain had become my outlet for everything, so whenever I felt like it, I’d slice up.

It showed how weak I really was. How pathetic I was. What a wimp I was.

My gaze shot up to the door as it opened, Harry entering, dark bags under his eyes, and a single rose in his hand. I smiled weakly at him, looking away in shame.

“Don’t look away from me, beautiful.” He breathed, sitting on the side of my bed, taking my hand. “I was afraid I’d never see those pretty eyes ever again.” I looked up to Harry, smiling softly.

He grinned and set the flower down, engulfing me in his arms, squeezing me tightly to his chest, nuzzling into the crook of my neck. “They said that you were the one that found me. And you stayed until they told you I was stable.”

Harry nodded, not moving from his position. “That’s what you do for someone you’re in love with.” He uttered.

I smiled slightly and cupped his face, looking into his gorgeous orbs. “I’m sorry.” I sighed. “I didn’t think that you’d actually care if I died.”

“If you would’ve died, I would’ve with you.” I tucked my head under his chin and sighed.

“Can I go home with you?” Harry rubbed up and down my back.

“Of course, you can always come stay with me, no matter what, no matter when.” I kissed his warm throat and sighed softly.

“ Let’s go.” I stated. Harry smiled and stood, revealing a bag that hung off his back. How I hadn’t noticed, I’ll never understand.

“Here you go my, love.” He said, revealing a hoodie and pair of sweats that belonged to him. With that he left the room, and I unplugged myself from the machines then dressed.

I picked up the rose from the bed and smelled it’s sweet scent, noticing that he had shaved off the little thorns. I broke off the end and tucked the beautiful flower in my hair, snuggling into the warmth that Harry provided even when not in the room. I walked into the hallway, finding Harry standing there, hand in his pockets. I smiled and reached my hand out to him. Harry frowned and dragged me back in the room. I giggled as he lifted me up onto a table in my room, digging around in some drawers before finding what he was looking for. I laughed as Harry placed a band-aid over the IV hole in the back of my hand, pushing up his sleeve to put more over the rest of the little injuries. My heart swelled as he kissed everyone after putting it down, then he picked me up bridal style and carried me out of the hospital, kissing my cheek every time someone looked at us.

When he set me down in the passenger seat of his old truck, I realized what a mistake I’d made, trying to kill myself. Here I was, sure I didn’t have the happiest life or the most supportive people. But I had the best boyfriend anyone on Earth could ask for.

Harry got into his truck and I leaned across the console, pressing my lips to his cheek gently, lingering against his silky skin.

“I don’t know if I say this enough, or if I ever have… But you’re the best thing I’ve ever had enter my life.” I whispered. Harry smiled, his dimples digging into his cheeks.

“And you’re the best thing I’ve ever stumbled upon.” He kissed my forehead, pushing the rose back into my hair, then he started the car, took my hand, and left the hospital parking lot.

It wasn’t long into the drive before I realized we weren’t going the right way. I frowned, trusting Harry, but not understanding what the fuck he was doing.

“Where are we going?” I asked.

Harry hushed me, gently squeezing my hand, and I accepted it, leaning my head against his arm. I sighed and listened to the Coldplay CD he had playing softly in the background. I curled up in the seat, looking up at him as he drove. I smiled to myself as he glanced down at me, smiling softly. “I love you.” He said, blowing a kiss to me as we pulled to a stop at a red light.

I kissed his arm, giggling as he flexed. I rested my head in the crook of his elbow, eyes drifting closed. I must’ve fallen asleep, because the next thing I remember was Harry gently shaking my shoulder, my name leaving his lips softly. I dragged my eyes open and smiled up at him, glad that I hadn’t died. If I had… I would never get to gaze upon this perfect being ever again.

“Come on, baby.” He murmured, stepping back to reveal a large old oak tree behind him. I gaped, taking in the sight of it adorned in twinkling fairy lights.

Harry chuckled at my surprised expression, lifting me completely out of his truck. “Do you feel the need to show off all the time?” I raised my eyebrows, making Harry smirk.

“Does it not impress you?” I shut my mouth, looking up at the oak tree. “Exactly, darling.”

I rolled my eyes and kissed his cheek as he set me down, kissing my forehead.

“Why are we here?” I asked softly, looking at the field around us.

“I thought it’d be nice to take a little break from the real world.” Harry replied, smiling softly at me.