Chapter 1

“And like the moon, she had a side of her so dark, that even the stars couldn’t shine on it; she had a side of her so cold, that even the sun couldn’t burn on it.”

                                                                                                                                                        -Abigail J.

My mother’s shitty dark Irish green bravada bounced along down the dirt road noisily, the woman herself sitting in the drivers seat with her eyebrows furrowed, hazel eyes focussed on the road. My younger brother Alex laid fast asleep in the back seat, eyes peacefully closed. He’d fallen into slumber hours before, just after we left the city, on our way to our new hell- I mean home.

I was sat in the passenger seat, arms crossed tightly across my chest, gripping my phone angrily in my right hand as I’m Not Okay (I Promise) by My Chemical Romance sent me into early hearing loss. My eyes were focussed out the window as always, since I’d rather not lay my eyes on the woman at my side who dared call me her child. So far, the only good thing about this day, had been the rain.

It’d began at 2 o’clock this morning, the dark skies becoming complete darkness as the clouds swallowed the moon. It’d remained in a steady pace, not hurricane rain, nor spring sprinkles. As the sun had slowly replaced the moon, the clouds had seemed to become a darker gray, like the smoke my step-grandmother used to spurt like a fountain. And the rain pelted the windows in a rhythm that was slow, like a heartbreaking love song. A tragedy filled love song.

The rain had been the only thing to gaze upon, since the rest of the land was trees and fields. And that obviously was the most mind numbing thing to look at while on a long car ride.

“Now when we get there, I expect you to be good.” My mother spoke. Well, she yelled it, thinking she was speaking. She seemed to have been born without an inside voice. So her whisper was a scream.

I glanced at her through the side mirror, rolling my eyes before looking back at a rain drop at the top of the window, following it as it raced down the glass, other drops joining it until the reached the end of their journey, where they all separated, where they all perished together.

After a few more races, silently making bets with myself in my head on which would be the loser, and which would win, my mother stopped the hunk-o-junk in front of a large, broken down, old farm house. Just the look of it make me want to vomit from the thought of all the country hicks who had inbred in those very rooms.

“Is it too late to run away?” I muttered under my breath, looking at the large orange U-Haul that sat in front of us.

Of course I was talking to myself, interacting with my mother? Ha! You’d see me having friends before that ever happened.

I silently slid out of the car, body cringing as I heard the mud under my feet squish.

Well there’s 20 dollars out the window.

I shook the thought away and grabbed my ripped up old backpack out of the truck, storming past the movers, my mother, brother, and step-ugly. The house was ‘brand-new’ so I was definitely getting the best room. If you’re dragging my ass out here to be a fucking farmer, bitch I get the best room.

I walked around the down stairs, disregarding mother as she screeched that I was tracking mud all over the hardwood floors because; well I didn’t give a fuck. After figuring out the first floor was practically useless for rooms, I went up, examining the second floor. There was three rooms, and I instantly went to the huge one with a bathroom attached.