Chapter 6

“Could you tell me how to let the darkness go; the one that I know best? Could you?”                                    -James Andrew Crosby

I sat down next to Harry the next Monday in english, his large hand reaching over and gripping mine, thumb running over my knuckles affectionately. I looked down at our laced hands, thinking of how beautiful it truly did look, thinking that maybe life wasn’t all I’d cracked it up to be. Maybe Harry was right, maybe I hadn’t seen past the darkness of my own life, to see the lights that awaited outside my own sadness.

Mr. Jaxon gave us a mini-assignment of creating a short poem about anything on our minds at the moment or to write down our favorite poem and told us it would be due by the end of the hour as our ticket out of class, Harry had reluctantly let my hand go, pressing a kiss to the back as a compensation, before he began to ponder what to write. I smiled at I watched him, thinking I should write about him, but knowing it would be odd.

But who the fuck cares, I’m already odd.

The end of class came, and Mr. Jaxon chose some of us to read our poems, Harry and I were one of them, The others all sucked serious ass, none of them intelligent enough to actually read poetry nor write it. Idiots. I offered to go before Harry, and took a breath as I held the single strip of paper.

I can hear the air slow and still as we kiss, holding its breath as I lose mine.” I read and looked up, meeting Harry’s eyes. “I don’t remember who it’s by.” I muttered, handing it over.

He smiled shyly, and when I passed him, I gently pecked his cheek. He blushed slightly and then pushed himself up. He took his stand in front of the class and took a deep steadying breath.

One look at her and I knew I’d spend far too much time trying to write a poem as beautiful as her.” He was a light shade of red by the time he finished and a few other jocks in the class snickered as he handed the paper over and walked back to me.

I waited until after class then I practically jumped him the moment the bell toned, squeezing the air out of him. His arms tightly wrapped around my waist, his head burrowing into the side of my neck.

“That’s the nicest thing anyone’s ever said about me.” I whispered into his shirt, inhaling his intoxicating scent.

He shrugged and pulled back, sighing in what seemed to be relief. “I was scared that you would be pissed.” I shook my head and smiled, standing on the very tips of my toes to gently peck his soft lips with a sigh of contentment.

It was one of the happiest moments of my entire life. I didn’t have many, and that’s probably why that one topped the charts.

“Yours was pretty.” Harry shyly muttered.

“It was about you as well.” I whispered, his hand linking with mine as he began to lead me out of class and down the hallways to my second hour, Honors Chemistry.

“How do you handle all your honors classes?” He asked as we entered the hallway.

I shrugged and squeezed his hand. “I just have a love for digging deeper in certain subjects.”

“Dork.” He teased. I playfully rolled my eyes and gasped lightly as he planted his lips firmly upon mine. After the initial shock, I of course kissed him back, it just took a moment. Then I pulled back and rested my hand over his heart, feeling it pulse out of control under my palm.

“I’ll see you after this class baby.” He whispered, kissing my forehead before walking off to his own class.

I looked after him for a moment then walked in and took a seat at my desk in the back corner, kicking my feet up on the desk. That class went by fast as usual, I got some papers back with 100% on them, and did a few new assignments before the bell went off and everyone shuffled off to third hour, and somehow, Harry was stood outside my class door, arms crossed as he waited for me.